• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Photographic Projects

Not Dave

Technically I AM Dave
Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Hogate
So I've been frequenting a lot of internet sites about several kinds of projects photographers can do, almost all of them have the advantage of getting a person out of a photographic rut, out of a comfort zone, to try something new and/or to meet people.

Now that I have a mirrorless compact system camera (Olympus OM-D E-M10 II) there's a smaller and lighter camera in my hand when I'm about. So I've been reading blogs, tutorials and other things about street photography, projects like "100 strangers" and other things.

I'm 46 years young (or old) and have enjoyed photography for about 30 years now. I'll never be a professional - just an enthusiast. I do like learning new things and ways of doing things, seeing things from a different perspective.

One thing about living near Austin, TX, is being it's the "capital of weird" I'm intrigued by certain subcultures. Recently I had thought I need to go out and start photographing strangers with piercings and tattoos. Then I stumble across the 100 Strangers project. I thought of combining the two. Being I'm naturally an introvert (weird that I'm also a cop) approaching strangers is not my strong point especially when not at work. Since projects are there to get you to do things you normally wouldn't do I thought this would be a good one for me.

I've stumbled across Moo cards which allow you to upload your own photographs - up to 50 of them - and have them printed on business cards. You can hand them out to folks you take photos of so they can get your contact info, email photos to them or they can see your work on a website.

Speaking of websites there's Flikr. Apparently Yahoo has Flikr up for sale so who knows where it's going to go in the future. It's obviously popular with photogs and is host to the largest 100 Strangers project. I could pay SmugMug to host a page for me or any other hosting site. I'm still doing my research. I don't want to go into this next step without a plan.

Stranger danger! Being an introvert approaching strangers and asking to take their portrait/photo is very uncomfortable. I avoid crowded areas on purpose and like to stay in the background. This will be fun!

The 365 project I'm doing was the same sort of idea. Force myself to look for shots every day and also to try things I've never tried. I created a list of potential things to take pictures of in case I get stuck or in a rut. I'm definitely seeing things around me more from a "is there a picture here?" standpoint and if so "how do I shoot it?". On Saturday mornings I've been heading downtown on the bike with a camera. I park and just walk. I'll stop and look all directions for a bit and see if something draws my attention. Signs, buildings, pedestrians, dogs, and bicyclists are all targets. Bicyclists are nice "street" targets because they are gone before they realize you got their picture so not much interaction. I got one of a mom with her two kids on the back of the bike last week. You could tell they were talking to each other and the bike next to them.

As far as hosting, photobucket and flickr have free and paid tiers. 500px, smugmug and others are primarily paid. I use smugmug and like the fact that for my level I get unlimited storage and I really like the Lightroom plugin. Makes it very easy to get basic folders and galleries set up and keep them in sync with LR edits.

Anyway, looks like you found a good project to learn some new skills. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

:tab Maybe this will help you grow with respect to being able to better interact with people in a relaxed and non threatening manner? A BIG part of people photography is getting them to be comfortable with you taking their picture. At some level, you have to establish a connection, whether it be something like, "I am the official event photographer" or, "I think you are a really interesting person and would you mind if I took a few shots of you?" Having cards to hand out is a good idea, as is having a place where people can go see your work and shots of themselves. Just be REAL careful about what you say if you decide to have any commentary about any of the photos ;-)

:tab If you have not seen it, Google HONY or Humans of New York. The creator takes shots of the people but also takes time to visit with them and get their stories. That project has just exploded and is now extremely popular!

:tab I wouldn't spend time worrying about whether you are a "Pro" or enthusiast. You ARE a photographer. Just shoot what you like and let things go from there.

If you photograph someone, don't be "that guy" and snipe the shot. Make it very clear from the beginning 1)what your intentions are, 2)if they would be willing to participate, 3)discuss pay for the shot or tfp (time for prints), and 4)in every case GET A SIGNED RELEASE FOR PORTFOLIO USE ONLY. I don't even shoot my friends in the studio/controlled environments without a release.

Sans formatting, here's what I use:

PHOTO RELEASE FORM FOR PHOTO SHOOT
Scott Strance Photography

Scott Strance
My Street address
City/State, Zip
E: MY email address
T: My telephone number

For valuable consideration received, I [fill in the blank here] , (“Model”) grant to Scott Strance, aka: Scott Strance Photography ("Photographer") and his/her legal representatives and assigns, the irrevocable right to use and publish photographs, still or moving, of me or in which I may be included, with or without property, for the restricted purposes of self-promotion, including advertising the Photographer’s business, sales, critique and marketing, in any manner and medium; and to alter and composite the same without restriction and without my inspection or approval. I hereby release Photographer and his/her legal representatives and assigns from all claims and liability relating to said photographs. The usage of these images by the Photographer will be limited to Promotional and / or Portfolio, sales, critique and marketing use only.

Model’s license shall include the right to print and display the images for personal use as well as the right to display the images for purposes of self promotion and portfolio use. Model shall have no right to sell, resell or re-license the images or resulting works for any other purpose.

Event Date / Location:

Model Printed Name:

Signature Date:

Address/City/State/Zip

Telephone

Photographer Printed Name

Signature Date:

in every case GET A SIGNED RELEASE FOR PORTFOLIO USE ONLY. I don't even shoot my friends in the studio/controlled environments without a release.

Thanks for the reminder. I was just asked by a friend if I would take photos of her son for golf. I of course warned her that I am just beginning and that people are not what I have been practicing, but it is a good idea to get consent so I can post pictures if desired.

Jennifer

Thanks for the reminder. I was just asked by a friend if I would take photos of her son for golf. I of course warned her that I am just beginning and that people are not what I have been practicing, but it is a good idea to get consent so I can post pictures if desired.

Jennifer

ESPECIALLY if they are a minor. And ALWAYS have the parent/LEGAL guardian present. :deal:

4)in every case GET A SIGNED RELEASE FOR PORTFOLIO USE ONLY. I don't even shoot my friends in the studio/controlled environments without a release.

Ultimately if they're in public they have no expectation of privacy and thus no claim on use of the photo unless it is specifically used for commercial endorsement - then you need a release. So you can't sell a pic to a local dealer as part of their sales promotion without releases. The legal beagles assure me that portfolio use and public posting are ok. I realize that many places have posted they will not exhibit a work if there's not a model release but that is an erroneous belief that you must have a model release before you can show a recognizable person in a photo. That said - I'd rather have one than not, but I won't let it stop me.

Photographers Rights - Bert Krages

Last edited:
My portfolio is my 'business card', so I try to get one every time....

And +1 on MOO.... I love their cards. Currently I have the 1/2 cards but I'm going full size/rounded corners next.

Back