• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Report: Central Texas Pie Run in Hico

Well the weather sure didn't cooperate much yesterday that's for sure. :)

Doc, lanechanger and I took off for home, but we went the wrong way on hwy 6 and ended up out west of Hico in Dublin. Soo, we just took 219 from Dublin and circled around down south of Hico to 1238 to run it again, and 927 to Morgan to catch 174 I think it was back up to 67.

Made it home about 4:30 or 5pm and boy it sure seemed the temps had dropped by then. I didn't keep track but I would guess I ended up doing over 300 miles.

I think doc and lanechanger were ready to be home a lot sooner. I burned a whole tank plus some getting home.

Was a great time, I think we would have swamped the place if the weather had been great, there's usually a nice stack of bikes already there on weekends with good weather.

Now my poor FZ is more dirty that it had any right to be after an hour trailing 20 bikes in the drizzle all morning. :)

It was nice to meet some of the people that I have talked with in the TWT Chat Room and others that have posted on here. I was suprised that almost everybody who said they were coming did, I was expecting more attrition due to the weather, but the turnout was great. I ended up with 330 miles and SVin Austin and I hit Lime Creek Road and some of the other roads around Lake Travis that I had not been on before on the way home.

Yep, the cold reinforced the need for some proper gear. That Kilimanjaro jacket of Kurt's is the one that I have been wanting along with some of the HT Overpants. My makeshift cold weather gear (thermal shirt, mesh gear with liner, and coat over that) just didn't cut it and I should have had at least a sweatshirt or something else on. I took a hot shower after getting home and before we headed out for dinner, boy that HOT shower felt good :mrgreen:

Of course, if I would have worn clothing for the mid 40's, the sun would have come out and it would have hit the mid 60's. I am just glad that I packed my raingear, because if I hadn't had had it, I know we would have had a downpour :roll:

Can't wait for the next one to happen.

This is the dirtiest, grimiest and most filthy state I think my bike is ever going to be in. My black boots are actually a kind of brown color now. Curiously enough if the weather had gotten into the low 50's I'd actually have been kind of comfortable, I can't believe how well my riding pants did with just long underwear and my heavy leather jacket without even the liner in (which I left at home by pure oh my god it's early/wet and cold! wake up befuddlement) ... the fairing on the 900SS is not huge but it directs air away from hands, head and torso exceedingly well !

I'll take the blame for dragging us out to Dublin on the return trip, it's that whole northern hemisphere/southern hemisphere thing going on, south is north and east is west. I broke off at 35W going north to Fort Worth as I was late for a date.

Took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong hot shower when I got back home, until the hot water heater ran out of hot water, hahah. That was great. Thanks to our erstwhile British Police Fozzy Bear on the Kawa Concours who gave me his spare H4 globe for my lights which blew somewhere between my warm bed and Venus.

Great times and I'm sure there are more to come. Let's get some pie once a month. Triumphs rule.

Got my bike out of the shop Sat. at 5:00pm but still got 100 miles in. So I'll be ready for the next one. And since this is a wetter/colder season stopped and bought a rain suit today.

Sorry I missed it, but I sure don't need the pie. :mrgreen:

620 miles round trip...
mrclean= :bow: you rock! 657.5 miles
arrived at home and found the wife not home, house locked and me with no key to get in... :help: she was at a hockey game..so i am outside, freezing cold for another three hours until she got home. its funny now i guess...i'm still cold...

cant wait for the next one
:chug:

Well the weather wasn't that great, but it was nice to meet everyone and put a face with the name.

Chuck, sucks that you got all the way home and then still couldn't get warm. That was probably the longest 3 hours!!! :eek:

Thanks, Matt for setting the meeting place, nice riding with everyone from Houston. We should try another ride when the weather is nicer!!!

Steph

Well, Chris and I were toasty warm! Of course, we caged it up cuz we were heading to another destination. Stopped by to see how it was going, and man, were there lots of bikes!!!! :eek:

I really have to give ALL of you credit that rode up there: even in the van with a heater, I was cuddled up with my blankie and pillow. All of you looked really, really cold, but happy to be there.

Was nice to see you all and meet some of you. Maybe Chris and I can ride up on one of the future Pie Run trips - this time on the bike. ;-)

Hey! did anyone notice? As inspiration for a future rally look to the right of the KK sign:
kk_sign_s0667.jpg

Had a good time despite the cold. Took a nice warm shower when I got home, after which Tracy asked why I was all red, and I explained that blood was just now beginning to return to the capillaries. :-)

Was nice putting faces to the names, specifically WCZim, gotdurt, el guapo, and gumpish. We definately have to meet again as there were more people I wanted to meet, but I got distracted by the food. See yall next time.

Spent an hour today cleaning the bike and apologizing for taking it down such straight roads. Maybe next meet should be around some windy roads. :angel:

690 Miles of cold/mild/wet/dry/dirt-covered/foggy/twisty/straight/flat/hilly Texas roads :moon:
+
74 freindly two-wheeled faces :-D
+
2 beautiful infant two-wheelers in training :angel:
+
70 motorcycles of diverse breeds :eek:
+
4 layers of clothing :roll:
+
1 gracious family hosting me for two nights :kiss:

I don't have an "official" tally because I forgot to reset my tripmeter until after being on the road a little ways out of Huntsville, but when I add in the usual mileage up there from my house plus a little for being on the road already, I get ~690 miles. Granted, I didn't do it all in the same day like the other Houston folks did. I spread mine out over 3 days. Is that cheating? ;-) Stafford -> Huntsville -> Austin -> Hico -> Austin -> Stafford.

Thanks to everyone who made it out! I was glad to make the nametags you guys. Besides - it not only guaranteed that I wouldn't have to call anyone "yo" all day, but it also meant that I got a chance to meet every single person there! It was great to finally put names with faces, and it looks like this event helped get lots of new people on board with TWT!

Irene and the Koffee Kup were great to us (LOVE that they put us on their sign! :clap ), and I was glad to see that most of us left room for pie after a great lunch. I might have to START with pie next time just to make sure! (Kelly, it was right there for you to finish... ;-) :shrug: )

Seeing all those bikes - as muddy as they were - was fantastic :dude: . It really does feel like we "swarmed" in on this town, but the locals didn't seem to mind us too much. Glad lots of people got the chance to talk and meet. There was plenty of bike drooling going on... Thanks to Chuck (Gilk51) for letting me swap out seats for a look at the 650 seat for a little more foot traction. We had (I think) 4 Stroms at the event. Did anyone take notice of we had the most of? Can anyone recall a bike that just seemed to be everywhere you looked in that sea of metal and fiberglass?

Thanks to Andy/Kurt/John for the route back to Austin. Despite the crap all over the road, I think it was still a fun ride. Andy, stop being so hard on yourself. Only one turnaround is nothing. Nobody got lost, pulled over, hurt, or otherwise spoil the ride! :bigokay:

I look forward to this becoming a regular event, and can't wait to see what other towns we can find with a boasting of some great pie! Chris, you did a great job, even though you originally posted it expecting a handful of area riders. It grew and you kept up with it very well.

Now, who volunteers to start up the next one? :chug:

steph, it was a long 3 hrs, but next time i will make sure to bring a key with me lol

matt-hope you get that tire replaced before our next ride

Thanks to All

This was my first ride with TWT folks. Everybody was real nice and I appreciate all the effort that went in to it. It was good to meet you Chris and I will look forward to another ride with you all.

What a great time I had.

Recap:

Left my house at 4:30 to meet 7 other at 290 and Becker. Our group left that Shell station at 5:45 to meet up with the Austin group at the Taco Cabana. Then off to Hico in an amazing line of bikes. We ate like kings and then it was time to go.

All around, I can't wait to do it agian. My hands froze. I was wearing two pairs of gloves. I had plenty of freezing road time to consider better winter gloves and maybe a windshield for the crazy cold weather daze.

It was great meeting people. The nametags were a great bonus.

I couldn't get into a hot shower quick enough. The next day I nursed some sore neck muscles from the wind and my straight up riding position.

When is the next one?!

A big thank you to everyone who helped put this togeather.

Wow ...... amazing turnout. :shock: Now if only we could have gotten some warmer weather.

:bigokay: Thanks to:

Chris Z for organizing this great event.
Scott F for leading the way on Friday.
Kurt & Rhonda for allowing Squeaky & I to crash at their home
Andy for leading the Austin group
Squeaky for the awesome name tags
B/CS group for showing me the way home

It was great to see & meet the TWT group. I did a total of 505 miles. Can't wait for the next gathering.

Despite the weather, dry roads for the twisties was eventually found...great roads, nice big group from DFW.

Wasn't as cold as it could have been, but the damp made it feel worse, electric socks and heated grips are on the shopping list now. I need to pull some fairing panels to find out why my horns don't work now, since they blew the second fuse I put in.

Thanks to everyone involved in getting this together, looking forward to seeing The Bluebonnet in Marble Falls..maybe next month? :mrgreen:

Squeaky..great tags...tanks :mrgreen:
Once again..proof that if carry spares, you won't need em, but someone else might......No worries Doc, glad you could see to get home :mrgreen:

I second guessed myself and instead of sticking to the 67/20/635 route home, I ended up doing 35/20/635 but it was only 50 miles extra :mrgreen: Though I did make a side trip through Glen Rose to Dinosaur Valley to take a couple pics, and buy a couple things.

Looking forward to the rest of the year, and many many slices of pie..mmmmmmmmmm pie :mrgreen:

What an awesome ride. It was the first time I'd met up or ridden with any of the folks from this site, but I had a great time. It was the furthest I've ever ridden in one day, about 450 miles. Yeah, it was colder than all to be-damned, but man, it was fun. I especially dug riding back with the Austin group through the sweepers, very nice, despite all the mud and cowpies on the road.

my thanks go Tourmeister for the awesome site

wczimmerman for organizing what looked to be total chaos on paper, but but turned out to be an awesome get together

to Andy/SVinAustin for leading the Austin/Houston crew

to Rebecca/Squeaky for the awesome nametags

and it was cool to meet the peeps I met, including Scott/Bluedog, ZZRChuck, PDef & ZZX81 - I'm gonna have to come to College Station and ride with you guys sometime!

Man, all those bikes in the parking lot was a great sight. I think the bike I saw the most of had to be the SV650, there were so many of them, but I saw quite a few VFRs, ST1300s, and Beemers. Marble Falls for the next one? I can dig me some LCR and 1431 on the way to the Bluebonnet Cafe!

KJM-B12 said:
Debbie,

Did the bike keep acting funny on the way home or did it clear up?

Kelly,

It did it a few more times but nothing too bad. I'm going to check with Patrick tomorrow & get his opinion. Thanks for asking.

Sorry I haven't posted yet, couldn't get to the 'puter-

**Thanks Houston types for coming out & braving the weather!!

**Thanks wczimmerman for setting up the Pie Run

**Thanks Tourmeister, for TWT, & for flat repair!!

**Thanks Koffee Kup, for great food, pie, & hospitality

**Thanks all of TWT, great time meeting people, sorry I didn't get to meet everyone. That's a good enough reason to make another pie run.

I think I should be properly warm again in a couple hours.

Kelly-- Nice Bike Bandit!! (D'oh!!)

502 miles R/T- what is 1/2 of a saddlesore 1000? saddlemildache?

Wow! What a ride - all in the name of Pie! :dude:

I am pleased to have met many of you, and sorry I didn't get to meet all of you. We'll have to do it again, so I can meet even more of you. :-)

I feel the need to add my "Oscar-esque" thanks as well.

Chris - your little pie run turned out to be the Great Pie Event of 2005! Great job!!! :clap

Rebecca - thanks for the great name tags! Very cool! 8-)

Keith - thanks for leading SabreScoot and me to Venus. Gramps (Scott) actually took a curve at 70 mph, on wet pavement no less. :eek: I'm so proud of him. (I may have to stop calling him "Gramps") :-D Even though I tease him a lot, his common sense helps keep me sane. :angel: We put 261.2 miles on our bikes. A pittance compared to some of you southern riders, but it's our longest ride so far. Gotta start somewhere. ;-)

Irene - you make great pies! :hail The "Scottster" burger I had was probably the best burger I've had in years. Absolutely yummy! The wait staff was super. The gals really hustled, and I didn't hear one plate drop. I did hear the whisper of belts being let out after everyone was done. :roll:
Scott/Tourmeister - you have a great forum and lots of good people on it. :chug: Thanks to Mer, too, for telling us about this site!

Paul, Chuck and others - thanks for the pics. Here's mine: http://photobucket.com/albums/v505/SWingGirl/Hico 29Jan05/ (scroll down a bit, and click on Slideshow).

SabreScott and I had a really good time. Now that I've thawed out, I want to know... when's the next one??? It has to be dry though, and a little warmer wouldn't hurt, 'cause next time I wanna do some twisties! :twisted:

Back