• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run I: no pie like Mom's pie, 01/28

Big (compared to Bryan) dealership in Denton. I don't remember the name but right on 377.

Readers Digest Version

586 miles portal to portal. Got Idunn safely esconced in her warm storage at about 5:30 last night and laid out the tent to dry out. Got thawed out about 2AM.

Camping was an.......experience.

Calm, warm, sunny and wonderful when I arrived. THEN! The wind changed and started blowing out of the west. Now, as every sailor knows, that blows in a drunk front. Those not properly immunized to Aeolus' foul tricks quickly succumbed to the horrid effects.

Highlights included a saviour showing up with a load of firewood, some FANTASTIC single malt (bless you!), Earl Campbell sausages, the north wind trying to freeze anything and everything, fearless leader abandoning us in the dark to crawl into his truck, no shows that only made it to Hillsboro, and a few other stories that will have to remain confidential. Ya know, kinda like "What happens at the lake, stays at the Lake."

Early morning run to Blue Hangar for pancakes, short jog down to Mom's for the most perfectly spiced apple pie I have had in decades and head west quickly.

Only one conversation with LEOs during the trip - in spite of a couple of them making gestures through their window. Took a different route back cause it showed some twists in the asphalt. Unfortunately, it also was 45 to 55MPH speed limits. Stopped in a wide spot to just stretch a little when local deputy pulls up.
"Everything OK?"
"Yeah, just bored as **ll from going so slow through here."
........poorly suppressed laugh........
"Well, take it easy."

Sunset

Look closely, you can just barely see the color change to the west as the drunk front blows in right at sunset.

Ray-Roberts-Sunset-L.jpg

Where did you find these bikes?

-Jeff

That's Cycle Center of Denton (home of many of my dollars... :lol2:)

Also, please note the newest crop of future riders in the glassed in room (keeps the screams from disturbing the shoppers) watching the BRC video.

483 miles round trip. My second pie run and I have still yet to have pie. Maybe next time. I did, however, meet my aunt and uncle in Grapevine and ate a late lunch with them. Good to see all the people and bikes!
2012-01-28_11-55-40_528.jpg
2012-01-28_11-57-35_718.jpg
2012-01-28_12-02-52_398.jpg
2012-01-28_12-12-34_682.jpg

Ah, yes..... ice in the bar ditches....... starting with a dozen riders and losing half by Lampasas..... 25 degrees for a high.... memories. :lol2:

I counted 34 degrees just before reaching home from Hico. It felt warm compared to 23 degrees earlier in the day. Those were the days before heated clothing for me. Now, I sweat.

:rofl:

RB

I have nothing to report on my ride because all I did was follow people who weren't lost. Or faked it really well :thumb: It involved gravel, mud, Newtonian physics, and pie.

That's the magic of GPS, they just fart around for a while, and when it comes time to return, they follow the electronic gizmo home. :rofl:

As for my "report", it started for me at my own campground.

100_4981.jpg

On to the other campground, where we waited for a while, and sKatZ put her life in Bob's hands.
100_4995.jpg

Some people thought I knew where I was going, and eventually I parked us all by this building, which wasn't where the pie was. Oh well, pie was nearby. And I was smart enough to park a heavy streetbike with a skinny kickstand on the grass, not on the side street that everyone else was smart enough to park on.:loco:
100_5001.jpg

Lunch.
100_5004.jpg

Pie with starburst.
100_5003.jpg

Then I thought I'd let this guy lead me in circles, so I would get home after dark.
100_5008.jpg

Then had to use this thing to let folks know I was running later than expected, and to make sure they blamed Rod, not me. ;-) Two things, first, I was surprised to actually find one, and second, how many my age or younger have actually used one?
100_5011.jpg

For those interested here is the link to Crazy Bob's Chilly Campout. Report stayed on the original thread so you'll find the action starting on page 7 around post #135.

Had fun, good food, and there were plenty of bikes to see.
And because I know 'without pics, it didn't happen':

Open-faced roast beef.
2012-01-28_11-36-30_156_1.jpg

Apple pie.
2012-01-28_11-34-18_377_1.jpg

:rider: :eat:
Smilie_Hammock.gif
:rider:

a6cd090e-9807-5b77.jpg

Philly cheese steak with...$7.99

a6cd090e-9833-3b9a.jpg

With chocolate pie...$3.99

Riding/camping/picnicking with your motorcycle buddies.... Priceless!

a6cd090e-98e6-3977.jpg

a6cd090e-9918-9a32.jpg

At least those who slept outside and not in their truck...

a6cd090e-99f0-4553.jpg

A special call out to Kat and Glenn. Thanks for everything!

Safe travels,
TTR

RIDE OF THE THREE STEVES......or Head to the PIE guys.

We had a GREAT ride up to far north Texas on Friday & Sat. Stayed in Muenster Fri night & rode to the pie on Sat.

It started out with Robert (that's Robe air) RZ500rich & myself leavin a pretty chilly Speegleville at 9AM Fri mornin to head toward Cranfills Gap where Agman (Steve) was waitin....& waitin...& waitin (we had already had a slight detour due to a thick blanket of mud over the road near Hog Creek).

After finally gettin to The Gap...we then proceeded north on some of our favorite FMs & CRs west of Glen Rose...up thru Tolar to Lipan. Then Dennis & Brock before stoppin at Garner for a fine fried catfish lunch special (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED although Robert said his hot dog & fries were great too).

swoody (2nd Steve) was ..again,..waitin on us at Garner....Along with about 50 or 60 other diners!!! (Stop there sometime....it's a good eatin place). We headed out on Garner Adell Rd workin our way north toward Whitt & Lone Star Rd over to Poolville...then Bridgeport & north to..Forestburg for a drink stop & on to Saint Jo.

By the time ya cross US287 goin north in this area ...most of the county roads are gonna be gravel instead of pavement. We stuck to the FMs but weren't dissappointed in he least. Some very entertaining FMs up north...& even less traffic past Saint Jo toward Bulcher where the Red River off road riding facility is located. We looped around back south toward Muenster for the evening (Wind Generator farm up in the hills north of town is impressive sight riding right thru between them!) Steve #2 had to head back to Denton for the evening so we settled in to the motel.

After stayin the night in Muenster we got up ...ate some breakfast & headed back north up FM373 thru those hills & wind generators again,lookin for the ever elusive paved CRs (non-existant really..up here). Back over to Bulcher then Illinois Bend & a quick jaunt across the Taovoyas Indian Bridge into Oklahoma (just so we could say we were in OK). FM677 & 373 have been extended & that bridge added (1992) in recent years...so some maps don't even have them shown. I kno my Roads of Texas doesn't. The twisty hillyness of the roads up here is FLIPPIN GREAT!!!.....& very little traffic too.

We headed back south thru Saint Jo (on 677 this time) continuing on to Forestburg where we took FM922 east...All the way over to Tioga. The part around Forestburg & Rosston was nice & hilly with good twisties...but it flattened out getting closer to I35 & Valley View. The only thing good I have to say about US377 is that it passes thru Tioga (Clark's Outpost BBQ) & takes ya by Aubrey ( where the PIE is....Lucy's Mom's On Main) WAAAAY TOOOO MUCH TRAFFIC FOR ME THOUGH. I'm gonna figger out a better way around that next time.

The 2nd & 3rd Steves (swoody & MacDaddy) were waitin outside while most of the crowd was already inside by the time we got there so we went in ...found a table & proceeded to order up our delights. My beef stew was great & the home made rolls that came with it were !!!huh!!! Robert's meat loaf plate was overflowing so he had to give some away. The open faced roast beef sandwiches even looked to have home made bread! ....THEN THERE WAS PIE......Kentucky Bourbon with pecans,walnuts & chocolate....Double huh! ...Sugar buzz DE LUX... I don't even recall what kind everyone else had....but they all looked (& tasted I'm sure) goooood.

....THE WAY BACK MACHINE

As I said earlier,we met the 2nd & 3rd Steves (swoody & MacDaddy) at Lucy's Mom's...(along with a bunch of other folks). After finishin up that last smidgen of pie..we all gathered up for the ride back south. swoody only lives a few miles down the road in Denton so he wasn't in the group this time. We did, however, pick up XCgates (why can't I ever remember your name?!!!....OH it's STEVE!) & buddy11 (Brian..new to TWT)...so it's 6 of us instead of 5 this time.

We all head out on FM428 west to jig jog up to FM455 on FM2153....Of course I almost immediately took a wrong turn onto a county road..but in the same general direction though. We did find 455 & headed west for what seemed like an eternity until we reached FM51 just past Slidell. Headin south on arrow straight 51 we made it thru Decatur & down to Springtown where we stopped for fuel. Agman & XCgates left us at that point...they were headin south on US281...Agman to Evant & XC to SanAntone.

An opportunity to hit some good paved county road shouldn't be passed up....(& you kno I didn't). Old Springtown Rd was just a block over from 51 & it runs south for a pretty good way before runnin back into FM51.We took that mahvelous bit of pavement until Upper Denton Rd then carried it all the way in to Weatherford. Some big ol hills out here....you can see fer miles.

I should say a BIG THANX to MacDaddy for lettin me loose on his new toy on Old Springtown/Upper Denton. That new Wee is a much improved ride ...lemme tell ya! It feels more nimble...the engine revs more freely.....(I got some decisions to make....huh).
At weatherford..MacDaddy split off on Old Airport Rd while we continued down FM51 to Granbury...then 205 into Glen Rose & FM56 all the way thru Laguna Park for that last dash on FM2490 to China Spring & home for everyone left in the group.

buddy11 (Brian)...good to meet ya & hope to get you included in our rides since you live sooo close.
swoody126 (Steve)....thanx again for showin us around on your stompin grounds up north.
pronounced robe air (Robert)...Glad you were along...& hope it won't be the last for ya !!!!!!
everyone else who showed...RZ500rich..Agman...MacDaddy....XCgates....All Ya'll..Thanx fer puttin yer trust in me as a ride instigator.
I ALWAYS HAVE A GREAT TIME WINDIN FOLKS ROUND

Back