• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie run III: Arrive alive in Fairfield!

Reaction score
4b6cb14d-7c16-062d.jpg

Good pie run to go to after a year hiatus. Great route by Hemibee aka Tony Massey, shared table and conversation w Steve and Scott, parking lot fellowship with Ron, John, Jim, Dave, Tim. GREAT riding w Corinne Shootergal. Now I need to hunt down the minute oil leak that soiled my right boot.

That's me dead center - red Strom, red jacket. Did anybody get an approximate bike count? I know it was approximately a whole bunch.

I heard a count of 81 bikes from someone as I was leaving (Jim, IndianScout maybe?).

I counted 75 and a few more arrived a little later. 81 sounds like a good number.

Pie run to Fairfield

No pictures on the way to Fairfield. I rode over with P-ratt. He was on an FZ-1 and I rode my DRZ400 as fast as it would go. Mark was leading on a back road route of his choosing. I was following along on a very bumpy road. How bumpy you ask? Well, one of my eyeballs bounced out and was swinging like a tetherball unwinding from the pole. I say unwinding because with each swing around my face, the attached cord was pulled further from my eye socket.:trust: Very hard to stay focused. When I did get my other eye to focus on something other than the circling orb, I saw a sign that said, "ROUGH ROAD AHEAD." Ahead??? What the heck was that behind us.:lol2: Very good ride. Lots of riders. About 240 miles according to google maps. I took pictures on the way back. Will post below.

I heard a count of 81 bikes from someone as I was leaving (Jim, IndianScout maybe?).

Yes, I counted 81 bikes when I came out of the restaurant about 12:00 p.m. Not sure if any one left prior to that time other than the bike that was parked next to me, however I counted that one.

Re: Pie run to Fairfield

At least 3 of these show up
P3310437.jpg

Only one of these. Restoration recently finished. The lady rode in from Palestine, I believe. Riding partner/hisband? Rode the BMW in the background. I wish I had the patience and skills to do a restoration like these.
P3310438.jpg

Here’s the rider and her bike.
P3310439.jpg

Not a lot of age on this bike, but there is a lot of miles, around 100K. The couple has multiple Burgmans.
P3310440.jpg

Some of the bikes
P3310441.jpg

P3310442.jpg

2 side car rigs were present.
P3310443.jpg

P3310444.jpg

P3310445.jpg

Found a tunnel on the way home. Others found it also and I tagged along with them for about 10 to 15 miles.
P3310448.jpg

Lots of flowers.
P3310451.jpg

P3310453.jpg

P3310460.jpg

Beautiful roads
P3310457.jpg

P3310462.jpg

I stopped here for a beverage. The store has been reopened by a lady that used to frequent it when she was a child. It had remained empty after the owner had died. Some of the original stock was still in the building. Cokes in bottles, a bottle of Hadacol, oil in metal cans, hand written ledgers, adding machines, etc. I ran out of batteries in my camera, but I will go back.
P3310465.jpg

P3310463.jpg

One of the ledgers
P3310466.jpg

Cool pics all the way around. I love the old general store. Watch out for the American Pickers.

I couldn't find an official thread so I guess I'll post my experience.

No pictures on the way to Fairfield. I rode over with P-ratt. He was on an FZ-1 and I rode my DRZ400 as fast as it would go. Mark was leading on a back road route of his choosing. I was following along on a very bumpy road. How bumpy you ask? Well, one of my eyeballs bounced out and was swinging like a tetherball unwinding from the pole. I say unwinding because with each swing around my face, the attached cord was pulled further from my eye socket.

kind of like this?
Emoticon.gif

Great pix, HR. Sorry I didn't meet you today. I was a little overwhelmed by the crowd. And I think we all found some pretty bumpy backroads; Leon's and my eyeballs were both left spinning.

Hey Danny - I walked into the restaurant and was looking for a place to sit, & somebody punched me from behind & offered me a chair. It was Doug & Annette Shelfer. They were on the way back from Houston & just happened to be there for lunch. By happenstance, Doug was wearing a Beemer hat, so everybody just thought he was a TWT'er.

Wonderful photos! Thanx for sharing! And GREAT riding w/you too Peter! It's been way too long!
I vote the Montgomery/Conroe/The Woodlands/Magnolia/Huntsville group plan another ride SOON!!!

Super nice pics, especially the one of that nice Super Tenere..:lol2:

I rode past the feed store but thought it was closed. I'll have to go back and have a look.

Attachments

• P1030487.JPG
    P1030487.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 170
  • P1030485.JPG
    P1030485.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 166
  • P1030493.JPG
    P1030493.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 171
  • P1030484.JPG
    P1030484.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 153

Not a lot of age on this bike, but there is a lot of miles, around 100K. The couple has multiple Burgmans.
P3310440.jpg

Humanrace, nice picture of Robin but we're not a couple :lol2:. We just ride together a lot.

I went sort of nutz with the shutter finger today, almost 60 pix after the cull, so I did a slide show of them all.

The small version, a bit over 11Mb for you dial-up people, it's the postage-stamp size version:
http://tinyurl.com/86pq6s7

And the big version, a bit over 52Mb, but it'll fill up your screen:
http://tinyurl.com/73fnps5

Robin and I got there around 10:25 and there were already quite a few folks there as you can see in the first picture. I got a picture of the 250 Ducati and I also got one of the Harley sidecar rig. And of course pictures of my pie. I couldn't decide on one so I ended up getting pecan and apple :eat:.

Attachments

• HPIM1934.JPG
    HPIM1934.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 142
  • HPIM1932.JPG
    HPIM1932.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 142
  • HPIM1930.jpg
    HPIM1930.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 146
  • HPIM1931.jpg
    HPIM1931.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 149
  • HPIM1929.jpg
    HPIM1929.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 140
My camera was on the fritz, so I only got 3 photos at the start of the ride.

Here is our posse at the old Minyards parking lot in SW Arlington:

d70_10535cq.JPG

GixxerJasen and his FJR (hey, wait a minute :scratch: )

d70_10536cq.JPG

Pie Man 3.14, Leon (left), and some of the DFW folks.

d70_10537q.JPG

Ride down was very overcast and a bit chilly at times. Sorry, Dan, that I was too slow. Saw several good patches of bluebonnets but the lighting was terrible for any photos.

We stopped in Hubbard, I completely missed the riders waiting in Malone - I actually looked but just flat missed them. :doh:

We got into FF just before 11:00 to find a parking lot full of all kinds of bikes.

I had a new GPS that was purchased after selling the Kawasaki ZR7S and had added the MC mount yesterday, but it was indicating that it was on internal battery and also indicated "low battery" before getting to Sam's. Turned out to be a blown 3 amp fuse - easy switch to an unused 5 amper.

Saw lots of the usual suspects and plenty of new faces. The Sam's staff was very good, I thought, and the buffet was very good as well. And pie comes with the buffet! :zen:

Distraught over camera issues, I decided to just slab home and skip the bluebonnet pictures. However, I saw plenty of good patches north of Corsicana and near Ennis.

Oh, some excitement. I was gassing up at the Shell station when I heard a crash and saw someone running with a large, gray box around the back of the building. Then another guy runs out of the store yelling "Police!". All I could do was motion around the side of the building toward where the guy had disappeared. :shrug: Seems like the store was awaiting an armored service to pick up the cash box and got it ripped off. Sucks. :(

One other bright spot was the 75 MPH speed limit on I45. :rider:

I went sort of nutz with the shutter finger today, almost 60 pix after the cull, so I did a slide show of them all.

:clap: GREAT slideshow. Hey everyone, kill her bandwidth and just go straight to the 52mb version. And have your speakers on!

Humanrace, nice picture of Robin but we're not a couple :lol2:. We just ride together a lot.

Dennie (how do you spell that?) - not to worry, we're always put together beyond our protestations :yawn:

:clap: GREAT slideshow. Hey everyone, kill her bandwidth and just go straight to the 52mb version. And have your speakers on!

You're not going to hurt my bandwidth, it's (supposed to be) unlimited.

The small version, a bit over 11Mb for you dial-up people, it's the postage-stamp size version:
http://tinyurl.com/86pq6s7

Ah, I saw you shooting my red Strom. Should have introduced yourself. Nice slideshow (even though my laptop nearly choked on it).

Ah, I saw you shooting my red Strom. Should have introduced yourself. Nice slideshow (even though my laptop nearly choked on it).

Dang. I did not realize you were there. Would have been ice to meet you. Of course, with my memory being what it is, it might have been nice to meet you again... :wary: :-P

Dang. I did not realize you were there. Would have been ice to meet you. Of course, with my memory being what it is, it might have been nice to meet you again... :wary: :-P

I do SO understand that!!!

Call me Sharon, I'll probably answer..............

Some shots I grabbed on my phone.

Arlington group shooting the .... poop, and getting ready to ride. :mrgreen:

2012-03-31081843.jpg

Gas stop...

2012-03-31095656.jpg

I hit the slap on the way back towards Dallas but stopped in Ennis at the Exxon off of 34. I needed to clean bugs off the helmet, go potty (I have a three year old in my house so yes I use that word) and down a Mountain Dew. Took off and hit the Blue Bonnet Trails a bit on my way back north to finally get back on 45 for a mile and then take Mallow Bridge Road back home. Here's some shots I stopped and got along the way.

2012-03-31141410.jpg

2012-03-31141348.jpg

And some with the bike!!!

2012-03-31141332.jpg

2012-03-31141449.jpg

Great shots Robin!!! The one you shot of my face turned out well, I couldn't figure out how you were shooting as I couldn't see your zoom at the time so I was curious how it turned out. Great one!

Back