• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run III-Ingleside

PICT0223.jpg

Dude, it's a PIE run, not a CAKE run! :mrgreen:

Pie, cake, what's the difference it's all good eating and good company...:mrgreen: :eat: :rider: :lol2:

Great ride and better company! :clap:

After lunch, Keith and I rode up to the Texas Mile event for a few hours to see some scary fast cars and cycles!!! The bikes were regularly reaching speeds of 180+ and a couple of cars (Ford Gt's) broke 200.

Not certain but I think we saw a familair adventure rider on a KTM testing his top-end witts!! I didn't hear the official speed announcement...

Looking forward to next run!

Man I wish I could have rode out there with ya...Thanks for the pics.

I want to go to one of these either this fall or next year...

Home. James split off a dozen or so exits down the freeway so he should be home by now also.

I'll tell the stories later. Not sure which is worse, the soreness from the biff or the sting of the sunburn... :doh:

Hello every one,my first pie run and my first ride in 20 years. A good friend got me into riding on the street again and my first ride was the 03/29/08 Pie Run. It was nice to ride again and meet some good riders and was very fun execpt for the wind. I just bought a used VX800 (23,000 Miles) and it ran a little better than me. Can not belive that my first ride in such a long time was 346 miles and I can still sit and stand a day later. Hope to make some more, till then ride safe.

Our Pie Run weekend story...

My wife, Susan (tortuga), and I made this event a 4-day weekend - Thursday thru Sunday. Scott (STScott) was looking forward to his very first Pie Run since his schedule finally allowed it, and he was one of the driving factors behind the 4-day weekend (we could not leave him unsupervised ;-) ).

The plans:
Thurs: travel down to Ingleside, take courthouse pictures
Fri: Meet Scott & tour Lady Lex and Texas State Aquarium, eat sea food
Sat: Leave morning open and the the Pie Event for most of the afternoon, maybe sneak some additional courthouse pics
Sun: travel home, take courthouse pictures (different ones!) :-P

What happened:
Thurs: traveled south, took courthouse pictures, Susan slides scooter, we take the last 26 miles with a busted scooter & her helmet a mess, leave pile of busted parts beside US77
Fri: Call Progressive, ride 2-up to meet Scott & tour Lady Lex and Texas State Aquarium, eat lunch with Scott, visit Dynamo Cycle :thumb: and buy new helmet and mirror, make some repairs, visit Wal-Mart for Aleve, bandages, and duct tape
Sat: Ride 2-up to Rockport and eat breakfast with Scott at Rockport Bakery :thumb:, Susan not feeling well & goes back to bed, make additional repairs on the scooter, do the Pie Event, meet people, try to figure out what to do
Sun: Susan (tough and stubborn) decides to ride home, started home, took courthouse pictures, she is OK with 60-65 mph, at lunch - she wants to slab home, run I35 at 70 mph to Hillsboro - making great time until traffic stopped, so exit at FM310, dumps scooter on other side going into gas station (details to follow) :-( , decide to try FM310 and loop around, survive 2 miles of hard packed dirt and some gravel (she does great!), finally take SH22, US81, and I35W home... :giveup:

-------

Here she is when we stopped in Giddings (scooter in great shape):
susan_giddings_4434q.jpg

Folks were very friendly there - one lady stopped to tell us about the restored courtrooms inside the courthouse and another lady came out to give us an event flyer and said her husband was with some other riders in Big Bend.

Most of our trip was on old US77. In Refugio, the GPS was sending us east and I remembered 77 going on to Corpus and picking up 361 to Ingleside, so I over-rode it and kept on 77 (if I had only known :-( ). Close to our turnoff, I had been watching traffic and forgot to check the rearview mirror. Susan wasn't there & wasn't in the blindspot mirror either, or when I looked back. I stopped on the shoulder and thought I saw a MC headlight way back (it turns out she stopped because one of her mirrors "flopped", she didn't want to lose it, so she stopped to tighten it).

As it got closer, I intended to stay put and find out what happened in case I needed to work on something. It was now dusk, I think fatigue had a part and she misjudged that I wasn't moving, hit the brakes and the scoot slipped on the chip seal with an extra measure of gravel and went down on the left side. I watched most of this in horror in my left side mirror. The scoot hit my bike but the energy was expended. It took me a few seconds to get the kickstand down and get off the bike. She was lying face-up with just the tip of her helmet in the right lane. Amazingly, nobody stopped to help. :shrug:

A quick check for broken biological parts determined that she was OK, more or less. I got her up and away from the highway and then shut off the scoot which was flat on its left side. There were pieces of her windscreen scattered around plus a broken mirror. I piled them up:
busted_parts_4460q.jpg

scooter_4459q.jpg

She was hurting but not emergency hurting. Her gear did its job. There were bruises that appeared later but it seems the worst was a bruised rib that still bothers her. Want proof gear works? This could have been her face:
helmet_4490q.jpg

The face shield was sprung - one of the little teeny parts was broken. The concern for the integrity of the helmet was the chunk missing on the top.

We were able to limp to the motel. I left a terse (and cryptic according to Squeaky :-P ) note on TWT the next morning. Several people called and others sent PMs. There were several offers of help, providing us with plenty of options. We sure appreciate the TWT folks' concern! :thumb:

Her scooter sat while we did stuff on Friday and Saturday morning. 2-up on the Wii-Strom was OK, but we decided that we couldn't get home that way. We kept thinking about riding it home. I did some temp repairs before the Pie Run and was concerned about the wind and no screen...

I'll have more on the Pie Run itself when I organize all the pictures. I need to milk the sympathy angle while I still can... ;-)

Susan was up early Sunday morning (couldn't sleep) and we were packed and away about 7:30. Here she is with new helmet and Gilkized scooter:
susan_4593q.jpg

We took the GPS route back to Refugio - it was less travelled and better shoulders, plus an easier ride. If I had only used it on Thursday. :doh:

We started out running 50-55 mph but it was no problem with the wind behind us (PTL). As the day wore on, she indicated she could do more, so at lunch she said to take the quickest way possible - which meant I35. So, we took the loop from SH95 around Temple and onto the slab.

We were making great time when everything backed up just south of Hillsboro. There was an exit ahead with a gas station, so we took it and turned in. A pickup was maneuvering for a pump and blocked the way. I stopped, Susan stopped and then put her foot down just off the pavement - a 3 inch drop. Over the scoot goes, this time on the right side. Susan rolls off and into the ditch! :giveup:

This time several folks were there to help her up and help me pick up the scoot. Again, no serious injuries but there will probably be more bruises. :-(

OK, now what? The slab is crawling. There are county roads to the east but we head onto the packed access road and can see that those are unpaved - we opt to head west on FM310 and loop around to SH22 and then north out of Hillsboro. However, a mile or two down the road and we see "construction - next 3 miles", "fresh oil", and "loose gravel". :eek2: Well, it looks hard packed with clean tire tracks, so I charge on, praying (yes, literally!) that it stays that way. It gets a bit worse but she plows through unscathed. :clap:

We were both very relieved to see that poor scooter safely parked in the garage just before 6 PM! :zen:

At least three of these Pie Runs have been very expensive! :eek2:
(no, I won't mention the other 2 :-P )

Sorry if that is a lot more than you wanted to hear but you have to endure it in order for me to get to the pictures... ;-)

Last edited:
My turn.

I made my mind up basically around 8pm on Friday that I was definately going to go, a couple of PM's later it is time for bed.

I get up and leave The Woodlands around 8:30/8:45 or so.

272658081_RxrL8-L.jpg

I get to 59 and I just have to get into the HOV lane only to say that I did. I will say though that I like that you can get in and out of the HOV when/where ever you want to. The HOV on the freeway I live off of 45N has restricted acess to it, but I digress.

272658713_exq3j-L.jpg

I get on out past Houston suburbia and am making my way towards Wharton. The road is just as exciting as the prior ones this morning.

272643473_EeTLA-L.jpg

I finally get to see this place. I think that there has even been a couple of TWT'ers that have stayed here before. The sign said NOW OPEN so maybe its had a face lift and new managment. I don't know, but it seems out of place here and definately a conversation piece.

272644284_M39Xr-L.jpg

It looks like Wharton just got through renovating thier courthouse?????

272645135_2P23N-L.jpg

It is an uneventful ride down through Bay City and eventually I ride upon this electrifying place.

272646180_Wj9af-L.jpg

Leaving here I am riding along and am coming into Palacious where I ride up on Squeaky and her gang at a gas stop, and I fall in with them to Floyds.

272646827_ArDh2-L.jpg

272671097_JgXrD-L.jpg

I am sorry Squeaky, and I am know all about throwing stones in glass houses and stuff. But this just made me laugh outloud when I saw it. So... Just how many bungies does it take to hold on a license plate?

272647659_iGKQY-L.jpg

Anyway. We make it to Floyds, there area bout 25 or so other bikes already there when we pull in.

272649493_8y4dF-L.jpg

I have CFS and it was fun visiting with new and old friends alike. I was hoping to be back at my house before too late so I did not stay too long hanging out and visiting. I was on a mission to get a picture of 1) A Ferry Ride and 2) The Beach. I mention to Calgary_Yogi that I am going to do the above and knowing that he was going back to Houston too today mentioned that we could ride together, that is if he would let me take 20/30 min to take care of the pictures.

Well with a plan in place, he and I leave and head towards the Ferry after a gas stop and a re-orientation to the map.

I am able to get a picture of the Ferry:

272650191_dVkzh-L.jpg

And Graeme on the Ferry

272651295_8wRqh-L.jpg

And finally the Beach:

272652063_tVq8j-L.jpg

The Ferry and the Beach... it is between these two points that my bike starts to be a pain in the neck. As we pull off the Ferry and approach the first stop sign I think I feel a "clunk" or something foriegn. I am not positive but I am now paying attention. While at the beach I check the bike over and dont notice anything alarming. I was a little low on oil, but within limits.... I added 1/3 of a quart of oil and if filled the sight glass up. So after convincing my self that I am just being paranoid, we leave the beach.

On the way back to the ferry, much to my dismay, I am not being paranoid, I am positive that my bike is developing a major problem. That faint "clunk" that I thought I felt earlier, is now a deffinate CLUNK, and I am sure a mechanical failure is occuring.

We get back on the ferry for the ride back across and I dismount to check my final drive. It is cool to the touch and there is not any play in the rear wheel when I grab and try to wiggle at the 12/6 and 9/3 positions. I tell Graeme that I jinxed myself for bragging on this bike but I am going to try to limp it back to Houston as best I can. I get back on the bike and just before the ferry drops the ramps for us to get off, Graeme yells at me for making a mess:

272652915_UZdeP-L.jpg

We ride up to the HEB. The bike is moving under its own power and shifting fine, but I have a really bad problem in the drive train some where. It is almost like I lost a cap to a U-Joint and it is bouncing around inside the swing arm and occasionally it gets a HARD WHACK between the drive shaft and swing arm wall. I don't know, but my guess is that I have lost my tranny seal. It is obvious now that the bike is getting worse, the spedo is gone and the back brake is covered in lube so it makes stopping interesting.

272653735_KwfVf-L.jpg

I know this is a hard photo to comprehend as its upside down. But your seeing the pivot joint on the swing arm where the final drive meet up. I am leaking lube from down the inside of the swing arm.

272654380_AZsyP-L.jpg

After a couple of phone calls to find the hotel where TXMEDIC is staying, where he was generous enough to help me get around for dinner and what not. We make a 3rd trip on the Ferry. (If you look close you can see a BIG SMILE on Graeme's face)

272655172_2biGW-L.jpg

He gets me to the Hotel and we say good bye with the plan being that he would drive down in the morning with his trailer to fetch me. THANKS AGAIN FOR OFFERING!. I walk a couple of blocks from the hotel to a souviener shop and buy a pair of flip-flops, shorts/shirt and a much needed attitude adjustment from the convienence store on the corner.

272656000_4GYh9-L.jpg

I continue making calls to family and friends and co-workers until my parents called to check on me. I tell them what is going on, and before too much is said... They are leaving Woden and are coming to get me. They get to the Hotel at 1 AM and quickly go to bed.

We get up this morning and by chance are packing up at the same time that TXMEDIC and BLUEDOGOK are. Thank you again for helping me get the pig in the back of the truck.

272656745_TFLMn-L.jpg

We made it back to my house after a very uneventful drive, well all but for this guy on 45N just north of 610:

272657508_LfWV6-L.jpg

I am still happy that I decided to go riding Saturday. It is good to see all of the faces behind the words that I read on this site. I am disappointed that I missed out on shaking hands with Jack G. though.

The bike is still under warranty so the fix should be sorted out fairly quickly. I will let you all know though.

Later

Last edited:
Aw, Duke, sorry to hear about your bike troubles. :-(

It was good to see you again.

I think that you are a candidate for one of those little bells that keep the road gremlins away. :zen:
(not that the one on my wife's scooter has helped any, though :shrug: )

Aw, Duke, sorry to hear about your bike troubles. :-(

It was good to see you again.

I think that you are a candidate for one of those little bells that keep the road gremlins away. :zen:
(not that the one on my wife's scooter has helped any, though :shrug: )

Sad thing is, I have one on there....

Glad you and your wife were able to get home safely. Hope the repairs to scoot are not too difficult to take car of.

Hello every one,my first pie run and my first ride in 20 years. A good friend got me into riding on the street again and my first ride was the 03/29/08 Pie Run. It was nice to ride again and meet some good riders and was very fun execpt for the wind. I just bought a used VX800 (23,000 Miles) and it ran a little better than me. Can not belive that my first ride in such a long time was 346 miles and I can still sit and stand a day later. Hope to make some more, till then ride safe.

and your first post on the forum... :clap:

:welcome: - glad you made it.

Now, according to my notes, I missed you. Did you come in after everyone has migrated into the restaurant?

(I hate missing somebody) :-(

Chuck, Glad to hear you and Susan are safe at home after a long weekend. Yet you still made the Pie run and "did your duty" above and beyond what anyone would expect considering the situation. Thank you for the post/update. Some of us had heard that Susan "went down" :pray: but had no details which leads one to worry and think the worst. One gutsy lady there :clap: to ride a lame iron horse all they way back home. :rider:

Duke, I can't believe that you would call your dear mother out to pick up a broken motorcycle!!!

That's pretty bad to have the same or similar thing happen again on the BMW. Did they just change the inner components last time? I would insist on whole assembly(ies) being replaced. Sometimes the machining on a housing may just be off enough to cause a very slight misalignment of the outer race of a critical bearing. Replacing moving part components doesn't get to the root of the problem if that might be the case. BMW's QA program is world renown and those kind of failures are disturbing.

Best of luck on getting it back on the road quickly. Did you get the fork seal repaired on the KAW? We wouldn't want you dripping any more oil all over our fair state, now, would we?

Well, another adventure in the bag. Keep the dirty side down.

Chuck, I feel for you, man! These trips are suppossed to be fun and relaxing! This will make the uneventful trips in the future seem boring. Hope everything works out OK.

Finally home from work now.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you that could make it to the Pie Run. Most of you had come from a looong way off.

It was great getting to meet you guys in person and put a face to the names.

Chuck, tell Susan she is one tough cookie ! :rider: Glad she is alright.

Duke, sorry to hear about the mechanical problems.

Oscar (scar04) great meeting you and don't forget to keep us updated on what we talked about. :eat:

Scott (STScott), glad you could make it and let me know if / when you're going to make it down here again

Jack, you must have sneeked out with Seahog because I didn't see you leave.

Man, I've got to get some sleep, it's 0140 hrs :yawn: .......... that's 1:40 AM for you non-military time types. lol

Thanks again for coming everybody. :clap:

I once made an 800 mile day, Russell, Kansas to Port Lavaca, on my VX800. Comfy bike. I don't even wanna THINK about that ride with the SV. :lol2:

We are finally home - my wife is one tough cookie - riding the naked dual-sport maxi-scooter! :eek2: But what do you expect from a gal that has taught 7-8th grade math for 11 years? ;-)

Details at 10:00... :trust:
Glad to hear you two are finally home. Was checking the thread and asking about you two all day yesterday. Sharkey mentioned he and Marci passed you last night, so I knew you were both safe and sound.
:clap:

Pie Day!

Susan (torgtuga) and I rode 2-up over to RockPort to have breakfast with Scott (STScott) at the Rockport Bakery. It was very good (all made on site). Scott needed to find a charger for his phone so we headed toward Radio Shack and passed a familiar ST1300 on the way - it turned out to be Rich (Simmons1) who turned around and followed us back to Ingleside.

There was one bike already there at 11:00 - I didn't know if it was one of ours or just a maverick...

I noticed that there were 4-5 bikes already parked at Floyd's about 12:00, so Scott (STScott) and I decided abit later to brave the 1/8 mile ride up the road. Susan wasn't feeling well and decided to go back to bed.

There were a dozen or more bikes already parked on the east side of the restaurant. I recognized several faces and there were a bunch of new ones. So, I started taking notes :mrgreen: and I THINK I got everybody that was there when we went inside (except for Rich and Scott who were being ornery).

This was a day for "Scotts". Here is a familiar Scott (M38A1):
scott_4527q.jpg

Carole (Carole Ann) accompanied ScottA1 from Austin. It was her first Pie Run:
carole_4528q.jpg

Kory (klb1122) is one of many from the Houston area:
kory_4529q.jpg

Zachary (1Bad-X) and Wendy were from just up the coast in Port Lavaca:
zachary_wendy_4530q.jpg

Zed (C50dreamin, on the right) is Zach's brother and from the same area in Palacios (if I remember correctly)
zed_4531q.jpg

With the Zimmermans moving away, I was really worried that the end of the alphabet might be left unguarded. However, it looks like Zed and Zach will handle it. :thumb:

:ponder: Every time I hear "zed" I think of the Kawasaki Z1000 - maybe Zed will consider adding one to his stable... :trust:

I knew Jack (Jack Giesecke) wanted to be in a picture since he was in the last one. He is also from Port Lavaca
jack_4532q.jpg

One more from Port Lavaca - Steve (Seahog)
steve_4533q.jpg

Another Scott (bluedogok) and better-half, Naomi
(the "ok" is for "Oklahoma" if that isn't obvious) :roll:
scott_naomi_4534q.jpg

This is the third TWT event that Kurt (txmedic) has brought the same bike!
(must be some kind of record) :-P
kurt_4535q.jpg

Yet another Scott (FJRSTAR), but farther up the coast near Freeport
scott_4536q.jpg

Erik (Rainmaker) with his Mom, Kathy, and Debbie (Snoopster)
erik_kathy_deb_4537q.jpg

Erik and Debbie still commerate their riding tour from a couple of year's ago
tshirts_4545q.jpg

Art (aharbi) is another one from Austin
art_4546q.jpg

Yep, they knew we were coming!
sign_4547q.jpg

This was Kurt's chase team: Kelsie, Leigh, and Rhonda
kelsie_leigh_rhonda_4548q.jpg

I think the girls had plans to do some boogie-boarding. I hope Kurt has pictures...

Oscar (scar04) had a run-in with a trailer and was too banged-up to ride. He still puttered over from Laredo in his mosheen:
oscar_4549q.jpg

...more in a minute...

Erik & I drove down to Ingleside & stayed w/ his folks who just moved down there a few months ago. We did a mini tech day :pound:while over there in the new garage they had just put up. We worked on my shift peg which had been rigged up about 6 months earlier & my passenger peg which wouldn't go back up. Erik replaced the fuse on his horn for a higher voltage. He took the horn off & there was a bunch of rocks & sand in it. He put a shield in there which will protect it from debris in the future.

Erik’s mom Kathy actually got on the bike before the Pie Run for the first time. We made sure to document this one.

p1010163ao8.jpg

As they were going down the street I saw break lights go on as they rounded the corner. Lucky for Rainmaker the cop was facing the other direction.
:pray:

inglesideek032908ny0.jpg

It was nice seeing some new faces as well as some familiar ones.

Kathy (Erik’s Mom), Erik “Rainmaker” & I

p3280166sx0.jpg

dscf1582es7.jpg

Susan, sorry to hear about your problems. You were missed at lunch. I'm so glad you were able to make it home. I bet that ride was extremely long. Reminds me of my trip to Colorado. I had 3 drops in one day ..... of course we'll just plan it on the kickstand.

Duke, I can't believe your problems. We say you guys at the HEB as we were looking for a fishing spot. We would have stopped if we knew there were any problems.

Bec, I'm glad that you got up quickly from your get off. Hope that sunburn doesn't blisters.

I think the girls had plans to do some boogie-boarding. I hope Kurt has pictures...

It seems they made better shovels than swimming adjuncts.

DSCN0131.jpg

DSCN0128.jpg

DSCN0106.jpg

Evidently the Jeep was the best beach toy. They met several local boys. :rolleyes:

Back