• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run VIII: Play It Again, Sam - Sam's Restaurant 8/29

The TWT Get together in Fairfield Pics

Here's a few pic that I took while I was there. I met up with the folks from the Dallas area this morning and had a nice ride down. Sam's puts out a pretty good buffet! I'm not sure of the count but there was well over a hundred I'm sure. Lots of nice folks.

Attachments

Re: The TWT Get together in Fairfield Pics

Just got back from this, my first TWT Pie Run.. :thumb:

Met a lot of folks...I even remember one or two names.....:doh:

Good food. Good Ride. Great company! :thumb:

Thanks to a friendly bunch of Texans for making me feel welcome..!!:clap::clap:

Incredible weather for an August event, unseasonably cool (it felt like October). I rode with DaJudge (Floyd), Pub610 (Bill), Ninjette (Jessica) and Chet.

I counted 114 motorcycles in Sam's parking lot and I may have undercounted by a couple. And what an assortment. Japanese, German, British, Italian. Chain, belt, shaft driven. Carbed and EFI. Even a three wheeler and a sidecar rig. The oldest bike I spotted was a very clean mid-70's Suzuki GT750.

I couldn't find my good digital camera, so I had to use my el cheapo. Most of my pics came out lousy. Only these came out anywhere decent:

The GT750, AKA "Water Buffalo"

This got my vote for Most Unique.

The waitresses kept wondering where we were all coming from.

Our group overflowed the room Sam's had set aside for us.

You mean I don't have to wait for my pie, just take it from the rack :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great morning for a ride and I was excited to attend my first Pie Run. What a day and what a great group of people. I am usually pretty shy and don't do well in large crowds, but this group welcomed me with open arms and made me feel at home. It was great seeing all of the bikes and hearing some great stories. Some folks were even kind enough to let me take a sit on a couple of bikes that are on my short list for my next bike.

Well when it was time to eat, I sat with a great group of folks (Floyd, Mark, Bill, Jessica, and Chet) and we shared some good food and even better stories. Thanks goes to Sam's as I thought they did a solid job of handling that big of a crowd at once.

I hope to make many more of these in the future and hopefully get to know even more new friends. The camera I had wasn't the best, but here are a few shots I took:

PIC-0104.jpg

So many bikes to see!
PIC-0106.jpg

Cool looking BMW cruiser with a sidecar
PIC-0107.jpg

PIC-0114.jpg

Big group rolling in off the highway
PIC-0112.jpg

PIC-0113.jpg

So many choices!!!
PIC-0115.jpg

The crowd continues to grow
PIC-0120.jpg

PIC-0121.jpg

A interesting trike showed up
PIC-0122.jpg

- Bill

:eat: They surely handled us all well! Looks like there was plenty of pie!

I can't upload my photos from today - hopefully will get it corrected soon!

I enjoyed meeting everyone!! Thanks!!

My first, too. I had a great time, but boy am I tired.

Total mileage -- 369 miles (including slight detour on way back to see wife where she and her best friend were "digital scrapbooking" [drinking beer and eating pizza while using the WiFi] at Steel City Pizzaria on Sawdust in the Woodlands).

Crew Chief

Forum Supporter
Well, I guess it never happened 'cause I aint got no pictures, but here's the lie I'm goin to tell:
Beth and I met up with drroccostein in Mansfield and then we both jumped on with Chuck's bunch out of Arlington. I'm always kidding that I'll be somewhere as long as the old Yamaha will start just one more time and it managed to do that today every time I asked it to. Of course I was bump starting it much of the morning due to some stuck relay that managed to fix itself halfway through the day, but it always started.

We all had a wonderfully cool and pleasant ride down then I got to EAT!!! Y'all probably can't tell it to look at me, but eatin is one of my favorite things to do. They had pie on the rack and you could just walk up and take whatever you wanted! Who would have even imagined that?

On the way home I was feeling real special. Leon (Focus Frenzy) led off and I got to ride behind Soozy and Komodore Obvious with Beth on the back of my bike. We had a pretty little 4 bike staggered formation going and it was a real kick to see a mother and her daughter ride together like that. We took a quick break in Hillsboro and Leon took off to Cleburne while the ladies and I headed up 35 towards Tarrant County and home. Now y'all beat that. I doubt any other guy here got to ride alone with three gals today! Beth and I peeled off at 287 and 157 and were safe at home by 330. I think our total mileage was 246 for the day.

Now somebody needs to find Wendy (Wendy and Steve) and tell her that I'm hotter than a pistol. Beth didn't cook me any dinner tonight and I bet Wendy is behind it somehow.

Mike

Last edited:
Great day for me too. My first Pie Run. I woke up early and met up with Big A in Belton, only to find out that my ZZR was leaking anti-freeze (I had flushed the system the night before). We couldn't find out what the problem was so I had to bring it home. Such is my fortune that I had my trusty Magna waiting for me. I just switched my gear and rode that up instead. I did upset myself because I forgot my camera, and then I forgot it again when I got the Magna. :doh:

Total mileage was just short of 350 miles, not a bad day of riding if I say so myself. Thanks go out to Big A and the others with him for letting me tag along and dealing with the small tank of the Magna. See you next month!

Texas T

Forum Supporter
Your weather was probably a lot better than ours today. I think we were close to 115 in the valley and even at 6000' in Prescott it was close to 90. Exactly 340 miles door to door, and 11.25 hours gone from the house. The Connie rides again!

But I bet we had better roads to ride...
VMR8-30-09012.jpg

Some of the group at one of the staging areas...
VMR8-30-09015.jpg

Preparing to stuff our faces for breakfast...

Sure do miss y'all, but I've found a pretty good group out here to fill the void.
:thumb:

Last edited:
Also my first pie run. I had a great time drooling over all the bikes and the pie. I was planning on having cake, but the pecan pie caught my eye and I didn't see the cake.:eat:
Big thanks to Robin for leading our group and I enjoyed meeting everyone.

Mer and Terri

Group Shot

Mer and Terri again

drfood

Forum Supporter
Our first pie run and it was via cage....course if you read this general forum you know why. No photos, the digital camera was sitting on my desk at work. :giveup:

Not sure of the mileage. We had a GREAT time. I left thinking, I can't wait to ride again. And I guarantee I will remember only about 4 or 9 names. Cindy, it was great seeing you again and oggling the Versys. Bill, nice Connie and you and Cindy have similar taste to mine in helmets...color anyway.

On the way home we stopped at Buc-ee's in Madisonville for fuel and a potty break. Well the Shell satellite system was down so only cash or check for all items, fuel or store. And the world famous bathrooms were out of order. Why? There was a water main break somewhere that serviced Madisonville and no one had water.

Stopped by Motorcycles Unlimited on the way back to check on J-Dawg's Versys. Seems Patrick's estimate and Progressive's are a bit different. :eek2: But he's got another Progressive estimator coming out this week. He told J that the bike is a 2008 and when it is finished it will look like a brand new 2008. He's not going to let Progressive play games. :clap:

A great time was had. Look forward to more Pie Runs in the future, and this time NOT in a cage. :rider: :eat:

Sam's was an outstanding place to have a Pie Run. I vote we do that one again within the next year. Food was quick and good. The location made it a very do-able Sat. morning ride for folks from lots of locations.

To all from Tyler/Lindale/Kilgore - it was a genuine pleasure to ride down there with y'all. Duane - that was a most excellent ride back. You introduced us to some cool roads I never realized were in between Tenessee Colony and Brushy Creek.:rider:

Bill (LeanN2It) - it was a pleasure to meet a new TWT rider. I expect you'll be on some more of these. I'll look forward to seeing ya.

Mer

This was also MY first TWT PIE run too! What fun! It was so cool riding this morning and Robin (our leader) took us on some AWESOME roads (lot's of twisties!). (thanks again for leading us!) LOT's of bikes, cool people and PIE! :eat: We had an AWESOME time!! Here are a few of my meager pictures (I was having too much fun socializing!)

Part of the Dallas contingent

300 miles for us today....:sun:
We enjoyed meeting everyone and look forward to the next one!!

Tell Beth she is doing great! If I was there, I would give her a hug! Life is all about change and I am sure you will adapt, or just start cooking dinner for yourself! Beth is the BEST.

rhodyne

Forum Supporter
My first Pie Run was a blast! :rider::eat::rider: YEAH!

Met up with 4 others in Thrall - innominate, WoodButcher, kurt (I think), and M38A1. I know everyone told me their names but I don't remember them now. Nervous because I've never done a group ride.

*sigh* 30 years riding but so much I've never done.

And my Nighthawk rat stands out like a Yugo in a BMW showroom.

So since I'm trying not to look like too much of a dip in front of everyone, the first thing I do - before we even got to leave the parking lot - is drop my bike. And, another new first for me, I managed to take out the bike next to me - M38A1's GS. :doh: I'm very happy to say, there are no pics.
I almost went home right then...but I'm glad I didn't.

Good people, good ride, lot's of bikes. And the staggered formation riding.....hmm. I could get used to that.

You'll see me again at some of these........just don't park next to me. :lol2:

Our first pie run and it was via cage....course if you read this general forum you know why. No photos, the digital camera was sitting on my desk at work. :giveup:

Not sure of the mileage. We had a GREAT time. I left thinking, I can't wait to ride again. And I guarantee I will remember only about 4 or 9 names. Cindy, it was great seeing you again and oggling the Versys. Bill, nice Connie and you and Cindy have similar taste to mine in helmets...color anyway.

On the way home we stopped at Buc-ee's in Madisonville for fuel and a potty break. Well the Shell satellite system was down so only cash or check for all items, fuel or store. And the world famous bathrooms were out of order. Why? There was a water main break somewhere that serviced Madisonville and no one had water.

Stopped by Motorcycles Unlimited on the way back to check on J-Dawg's Versys. Seems Patrick's estimate and Progressive's are a bit different. :eek2: But he's got another Progressive estimator coming out this week. He told J that the bike is a 2008 and when it is finished it will look like a brand new 2008. He's not going to let Progressive play games. :clap:

A great time was had. Look forward to more Pie Runs in the future, and this time NOT in a cage. :rider: :eat:
It was great meeting you and JDawg. I will give ya'll a shout the next time I head down that way. Now you need to get JDawg to post! :lol2:

kurt

Admin

So since I'm trying not to look like too much of a dip in front of everyone, the first thing I do - before we even got to leave the parking lot - is drop my bike. And, another new first for me, I managed to take out the bike next to me - M38A1's GS. :doh: I'm very happy to say, there are no pics.
Rat bikes are cool, I really liked yours. Don't sweat it, you have that one out of the way. I still catch flack about a certain Taco Cabana five years later. ;-)

M38A1

Admin
Hey - no big deal. The world is still spinning on it's axis so life is good. Now the pig is 'balanced'. One drop on each side to date.

I left Oak Hill/SW Austin and headed North to meet up in Thrall with a group. About Round Rock, I see IronWombat (Garreth) headed the other way. He had mentioned going on in to Round Rock to meet up with Woodbutcher (Rusty) and Kurt as himself. I pulled into a gas station to turn around, and he had done the same so now headed my direction. We ran to the WalMart and waited for Rusty and Kurt to come by until about 8:35 then left for Thrall.

About two miles from the WalMart, Garreth wasn't accelerating through the gears. Turns out his shift linkage on the WeeStrom broke. I believe that's his second one now. Sad that he couldn't make the pie run, but the silver lining was he still had first gear and was only five or so miles from home. He made the turn for home and I headed to Thrall.

In Thrall, Rhodyne (Carl) and Innomate (Mark) were already there. We had expected CaroleAnn to show but she didn't. About 9:15, Rusty and Kurt show up. Fuel taken on-board and as we were gearing up, a patron of the SpeedyStop pointed to a bungee cord hanging from Carl's bike. He looked back and about that time the bike started to tip. Well, he went over and I was next to him so I went over just like a game of dominoes. No biggie. The Hepco-Becker bars did what I expected them to do. Once the bikes were uprighted and checked, Rusty led us out.

We had some great roads with little traffic for a Saturday. About Groesbeck we stopped for fuel for the 'little tank' bikes. I glanced to what I thought was a big block with a tall building in it and inquired "Is that a courthouse"? Like a flash, I was off for another courthouse pic. The group caught up to me one block away.

With our few delays now compounding our late arrival, we pulled into Sams about 11:45 to a sea of bikes. Gearing down we made our way inside to see everyone inside the 'room'. The door guy asked for our name and Kurt told him our party was already there. He said "there's no tables available. Name please". We waited about 10 minutes and the hostess was taking us to the big room. We told her our party was in the back and she just motioned for us to go there. So much for the name on the list thing.

Food selection was great and not bad for a buffet. The five of us sat at a table while the majority of everyone else had finished, paid and were outside. So we finished and made our way out as well.

I asked Pie Run Chair V2.0 if there was a courthouse in Fairfield and sure enough there is. With a wave of a hand and a pointing of a finger by Chuck, I was off for yet another picture and fuel. I came back and the big group was considerably smaller. After our goodbyes, our little band of five fueled up and made the trek back to the Austin area backtracking our way up.

Right at 400 miles for me. Great company, great weather, great friends. What more could one ask for?

Yeeha! Stephen

Forum Supporter

Hey Billy!

I had a double fork sized load of Coconut Cream in my Pie Hole (get it? :rofl:) when I saw you headed to the check out register, and couldn't speak up.

By the time I made a pit stop and headed out to kick tires, I didn't see you again. Sorry!

I guess I should've just blurted out your name and spewed the neighboring table with coconut filling. You would've seen me then, the whole place would've been on my case!

Byron Lawrence and I started in Grapevine at 8, and we were still late. (Fashionably late I'm sure) and it's only 120 miles from my house :rider:. We kinda got caught up in the cool of the morning and wandered all over creation before we decided to head on in :giveup:.

What a wonderful day to have a Pie Run... anyone count the bikes?

My first Pie Run was a blast! :rider::eat::rider: YEAH!

Met up with 4 others in Thrall - innominate, WoodButcher, kurt (I think), and M38A1. I know everyone told me their names but I don't remember them now. Nervous because I've never done a group ride.

*sigh* 30 years riding but so much I've never done.

You should have parked next to my Nighthawk! :mrgreen:

Some of my photos along with Kyle's. Kyle (AC Cobra) is responsible for most of the photos in the parking lot at Sam's.

Group that met in Conroe...

Kyle and Tim (Abby) getting the bike set up

Let's see if I can remember the quote..."I smiling under the helmet. I like wearing the helmet, it makes me look younger." Did I get that right or butcher it up?

Leaving Conroe, headed for The Waverly House to pick up a couple more riders.

One of the riders from The Waverly House. anyone remember seeing his ride in the parking lot?

On the road

Tim and Kyle in Madisonville

And the bikes... or at least some of the photos of the bikes...

As we were headed home we caught up with Tim and Mike so Kyle grabbed a few more shots

Anyone want to make a wild guess what caught Kyle's eye the most in Sam's parking lot?

All of the pictures are available over on my Face Book page, the ones above are just the ones I uploaded to ImageShack so I could post them here. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6985&id=1813788930

In Thrall, Rhodyne (Carl) and Innomate (Mark) were already there. We had expected CaroleAnn to show but she didn't.

My appologies for being a no show and I hope you didn't wait for me. I over slept and decided it was the study fairy telling me I needed to stay home and do my homework.

I know I missed a great time and will have to work on being better at getting the homework done so I can play.

Had a wonderful time yesterday. As always good food. great friends, and a beautiful day. Got to see some folks I havent seen in a while.
The best part was Kyle cruising along with me, Enjoyed it buddy!

Sorry for the no show too. I was trying to do some much needed maint on the old girl and the next day I went to start it the battery was completly dead. I do hope to have her in better shape for the next run. I hope. Great report guys!

TLRam1

Forum Supporter
The oldest bike I spotted was a very clean mid-70's Suzuki GT750.

I couldn't find my good digital camera, so I had to use my el cheapo. Most of my pics came out lousy. Only these came out anywhere decent:

The GT750, AKA "Water Buffalo"
Thanks for the photo and comments, that is a 74 2- Stroke as you correctly called it "Water Buffalo".

Gilk51

As usual, I start out taking a bunch of pictures and then get distracted talking and fizzle out. :doh: That, and I had been playing with the camera (a pox on the picture contest thread :thpt: ) and left it in manual focus - you can't tell if the image is fuzzy looking at that 2 inch screen. double :doh:

Anyway, there were a bunch of folks at the old defunct Minyard at 8:00 AM:
(I hope I remember all of the names correctly)

Bill (wasabi)

Kaitlyn and Ben (shadow247) - scheuled to be married in 2 weeks :thumb:

Hannah (KomodoreObvious) - Soozy's baby daughter :sun:

Susan (tortuga) - the wife unit

the famous Soozy (Soozy)

Leon (focus frenzy)

Willie (thunderbolt)

Dan (olhogrider)

The group before the Bedford ST boys rode up

Dan (DFW_Dano)

Kelly (Skull of Energy)

There was already a good V-Strom contingent. :borg:

We left SW Arlington with 11 bikes and 12 peeps and slabbed down US287 to Mansfield. We picked up Brian (drroccostein), along with Mike (mbrew) and Beth riding 2-up

That made 13 with another V-Strom! :borg:
Um, my wife doesn't like the number 13...

The ride down was nice and cool and FM157 was good until the slow pickup before the S-turn north of Venus. :shrug:

A couple of miles north of Maypearl, I came up on a slower moving car and spotted the "STUDENT" emblem on the back. No way was I going to get our group to pass them and risk spooking a new driver (obvious from the rough stop at FM66), so I bit my lip and backed off... ;-)

We picked up James (one wolf) at the Post Office in Maypearl - yet another V-Strom! :borg:

The wife was happy with the number 14. :roll:

While we were stopped, a vicious 1% biker gang rode by and waved - I recognized a couple of the outlaw Tarrant County group... :eek2:

The ride down was pleasant - the air was cool and almost chilly near the creek crossings. :thumb:

We stopped for a short rest in Malone (there weren't many options there)

Someone had asked when we expected to go through Malone, but we didn't see anyone.

We did another gas stop in Fairfield before rolling into Sam's Restaurant from the 2-way service road (feeder for you Houston folks ;-) ). There was already a pack of bikes there.

Some familiar faces:

Kory (klb1122) and his wife (already forgot her name & she told it to me!)

Kory's folks - Karen and Larry (ST/SV)

Got to meet Nadya (SheNadya). Susan and I ate lunch with her & found out about pronouncing Russian-heritage names - Nadya is more like Nadza we found. :thumb:

Brain memory fault - I forgot who this was :doh:

Some pitures from the parking lot:

This was a popular picture:

as was Hardy Baker's sidecar rig:

Lots of folks inside! I miss a lot of people when there is a large group and this one was no exception. I also was pleased with the service and food. It's never perfect but I think Sam's did a great job.

A group from Houston - that's long lost Dennis (humblerider) on the far right

The Austin group was a bit late and they lost a 'Strom due to mechanical failure :-( but it was good to talk to Kurt and see what he was riding:

He said my pictures of his bikes were a couple behind! :lol2: He also said Rhonda was still mad that he sold her bike (the GoldWing) but that she was warming up to the Beemer (literally, it has heated seats :-P )

I haven't seen Keith (Dragwn) for a while - we still need to wire his Stebel air horn!

Finally, it was time for folks to leave:

Susan said I missed it when the scooter group rolled out as well as the Stallion taking off.

Our group split up - Susan visited her sister in Fairfield. I took the slab route to Weatherford to attend the benefit for Zac Chapman - I saw Stephen (Yeeha Stephen) and Byron (Trinity) pass me as I was running the service road but I could never catch up to them! :eek2:

Brian (drroccostein) caught up to me on 287 and waved goodbye as he exited in Mansfield. 135 miles from Fairfield and 10 minutes to spare. I saw fellow TWT members Marty (voyagerrider) and Kathy (ladyrider) and Paul (st_driver) there. I also got to meet Zac's mom. :thumb: It looked like a very good turnout and a sucessful eveny.

Oh, I sucessfully left with Bob and returned with Bob! A couple of new soft-shell 'dillos appeared on the parking lot! :rofl:

Thanks for all who joined us yesterday - great fun! :rider::eat::rider:

Last edited:

What a wonderful day to have a Pie Run... anyone count the bikes?.
By my count, no less than 114. Everyone had arrived by the time I got out to the parking lot to take some pics, and I'm fairly sure no one had left yet.

I got a lazy start and didn't leave until nearly 8:00 so I gassed up the LT and hit the interstate. When I hit Madisonville, I realized with only 60 miles to go, I was going to be early. So I made a pit stop at Buc-ees and then took a detour to Crockett/Elkhart/Sour Lake. That ended up taking a little longer than I wanted. I pulled into Sam's about a quarter after the hour.

The sea of bikes in the parking lot was impressive.

After lunch, I took a more scenic route back through Crockett again and then down to Corrigan, Cleveland, Dayton and finally LaPorte and Seabrook. That took 3h 45m and was getting a little tiring at the end as I rode through without a break. I was on my driveway at 4:15.

Bad news is I noticed the rear tire looked low on air pressure after I got home and sure enough, there was a puncture. Fortunately, I don't think I picked up the offending piece of FOD until almost home anyway.

Total mileage for the day:477
Great day for a ride and eating pie. See ya'll at the next one.

epilogue: Puncture caused by a shard of brown glass. Plugged the tire tonight and it looks like it's holding air again.

Let's see if I can remember the quote..."I smiling under the helmet. I like wearing the helmet, it makes me look younger." Did I get that right or butcher it up?

Pretty close. I think I said "I like wearing a full-face helmet because it makes me look younger." :rofl:

And yes, I was smiling!

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
:tab I had a nice ride up with JacknTexas and Snoopster. Early on it was kind of chilly with the mesh suit on. We passed Hardy and Ray in Buffalo. I stopped to make sure they were heading to Sam's. They were, so we went on ahead. They were coming out of a little restaurant, having just finished breakfast. The ride up was really nice except for that stretch of US 75 between Buffalo and Fairfield. Had I known the pavement was so bad, I would have just hopped over to I-45 for that last bit to Fairfield. It was pretty bad... We arrived a little early, but there was already a pretty good crowd forming.

:tab It was nice to see such a good turn out. I wish I could meet more folks (and remember their names :doh:) and visit longer at these things. The kids really enjoyed seeing all the bikes and people. Beth and the kids came up in the minivan and also carted T-shirts and stickers so I could sell them after lunch. Thanks to everyone that bought stuff.

:tab There was one person waiting for a shirt/sticker (whom I did not know), but right as he was about to step up, some other not to be named person jumped in line. Before I could regather, person one walked away. I just want to apologize to person one for that.

:tab The ride home was fun. We went down the West side of I-45 and eventually picked up FM 3 and 977. A few minutes after we got on 977, I brain faded hard. It was weird, almost like a switch had been flipped. I could not focus and was not really with it. I slowed wayyy down and just kind of cruised the last few miles to I-45 where we stopped. Even that took all I had. We rested a bit, gassed the bikes, and I drank a coke. That seemed to really help and I was fine the rest of the way home. But man, that was kind of scary. I've only had that happen once before but it was under pretty extreme conditions: heat (100+), sick, fatigued, hungry, dehydrated, and about 400 miles into a 550 mile day.

:tab I can tell I don't do much distance riding anymore. Even a simple 250 mile ride with a long lunch had me feeling a little sore by the end of the day :doh: The days of ripping off several 500-600 mile days in a row without a second thought are gone... for now...

The "gathering" was great, as it is always nice to meet people the love motorcycling as much as we do. Thanks to those that posted up pictures of my sidecar rig. Perrys in FT.Worth built the rig and him and his crew come very highly recommended. Perry does most brands of cycles and he is very easy to work with. He does restoriations too. A neat thing that he offers is a pay as you go plan. Since he takes several months to build a rig such as mine,the installments come slower and are more "bearable." Sidecars add another deminsion to the equation. Lessons are highly recommended to anyone considering "hacking."
I heard several mention that Sams was good place to gather since it is half-way between our major Texas cities. Jack, and any other ride orgniazers, don't forget Hilltop Lakes out of Normangee on highway three. (possibly for a RTE.)
A week from this morning, I will get up at three or four in the morning and ride to land between the lakes in Kentucky and meet a bunch of my "old" Army buddies (still riding.) Anyone want to eat a late lunch in Kentucky next Monday? Ya'll ride and enjoy this cooler weather. Ride as often as you can. Hardy

:tab They were coming out of a little restaurant, having just finished breakfast.
Hey! There's an idea! Ride to Breakfast AND Pie Run.

:tab There was one person waiting for a shirt/sticker (whom I did not know), but right as he was about to step up, some other not to be named person jumped in line. Before I could regather, person one walked away. I just want to apologize to person one for that.
Oops! I hope that wasn't me jumping in line. :doh:

I had a great time on my first Pie Run. Hope to repeat, often.

Lee

TLRam1

Forum Supporter
For a cool effect he needs controls so he can drive the bike from the sidecar and have the MC riderless. He could perform a RH turn catching some air. :eek2:

Here is my contribution :sun:

I worked the day/night before, and we did not go to bed until about 1230 that morning. Some pesky thunderstorm parked itself over Bellaire and caused all sorts of havoc. :storm: This included our firetruck being hit by a car, it had been hit by another car and came to rest against the truck. :eek2: Luckily, everyone was ok and damage to the truck is minimal. :thumb:

Needless to say, I was a bit late leaving work that morning. I planned on meeting the Conroe contigent, but based on the shortened sleep cycle decided to just take it easy and not rush :zen:

Had me a light breakfast :coffee: ....
8-30-2009%20002.jpg

....and had a brisk walk with Ajax. He's been with for about 3 weeks now, and a worthy successor to our late Labrador Hasso.
8-30-2009%20003.jpg

I picked IH 45 as the first part of the journey.
8-30-2009%20001.jpg

Literally, it was refreshing to feel a chill as I travelled out of Conroe. Quite the opposite from the Ingleside run last month :brainsnap I then hopped onto US 75 north of Huntsville and followed it into Fairfield. What a change to have almost no other motorist share the road with you :rider: And being on the Dakar, I did not mind the rough pavement before Fairfield ;-)

Arrived at Sam's. A sight to behold :clap:
8-30-2009%20005.jpg

Quite a few cool bikes there :drool:

I think this is DixonDuke's ?
8-30-2009%20006.jpg

HardyBaker's immaculate rig :clap: I see a sidecar in the future for the Dak :trust:
8-30-2009%20007.jpg

Dick's Alaska Cruiser
8-30-2009%20008.jpg

Ron's immaculate F650.
8-30-2009%20009.jpg

I last saw him in Mena 2 years ago at the Chain Gang rally. Good to see him again.

Nice Sportster
8-30-2009%20010.jpg

This could be a MPS contender :-P
8-30-2009%20011.jpg

The Moto Guzzi motor, along with its integration into their bikes is a work of art IMO. O my! :sun:

Very nice Bonnie!
8-30-2009%20012.jpg

Ron and Jerry were kind enough to share a table with me.
8-30-2009%20013.jpg

Thanks for the good conversation and company gentlemen :eat:

But alas, all good things end at some time. Mingled in the parking lot for some time. I was honored to capture the Atlantic and Pacific boots together
8-30-2009%20014.jpg

Thanks Soozy and Scott :clap:

After most of the contigent left, Scott "Tourmeister" invited me to ride along with him, Snoopster, and a third rider (did not have chance to introduce) to tool on some of the county roads. 'Twas nice to revisit FM 80 again :rider:

Alas, a minor detail (that I conveniently forgot among mingling and bike drooling) was the fact that there is only a finite amount of petrol that one can travel with. Needless to say, the reserve light came on soon after our departure. :doh: Since i did not have a good yardstick as to how long reserve lasts, I wisely split off towards Jewett for fuel while Scott and company turned towards Mexia. Lesson learned: Top off fuel before arriving at pie run destination. Sorry about that :oops: Enjoyed the group ride though :rider:

Caught IH 45 at Centerville, and slabbed it home at a good clip just a hair above 70 mph :trust:

'Twas a beautiful day all around. Looking forward to the next one :clap: