• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run VIII: Play It Again, Sam - Sam's Restaurant 8/29

Reaction score
The TWT Get together in Fairfield Pics

Here's a few pic that I took while I was there. I met up with the folks from the Dallas area this morning and had a nice ride down. Sam's puts out a pretty good buffet! I'm not sure of the count but there was well over a hundred I'm sure. Lots of nice folks.

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 158
Re: The TWT Get together in Fairfield Pics

Just got back from this, my first TWT Pie Run.. :thumb:

Met a lot of folks...I even remember one or two names.....:doh:

Good food. Good Ride. Great company! :thumb:

Thanks to a friendly bunch of Texans for making me feel welcome..!!:clap::clap:

Great fun. :rider: Nice to see and meet everyone. Where next???

Incredible weather for an August event, unseasonably cool (it felt like October). I rode with DaJudge (Floyd), Pub610 (Bill), Ninjette (Jessica) and Chet.

I counted 114 motorcycles in Sam's parking lot and I may have undercounted by a couple. And what an assortment. Japanese, German, British, Italian. Chain, belt, shaft driven. Carbed and EFI. Even a three wheeler and a sidecar rig. The oldest bike I spotted was a very clean mid-70's Suzuki GT750.

I couldn't find my good digital camera, so I had to use my el cheapo. Most of my pics came out lousy. Only these came out anywhere decent:

2067212980062847176S425x425Q85.jpg

The GT750, AKA "Water Buffalo"

2298690500062847176S425x425Q85.jpg

This got my vote for Most Unique.

2486341480062847176S425x425Q85.jpg

The waitresses kept wondering where we were all coming from.

2328349220062847176S425x425Q85.jpg

Our group overflowed the room Sam's had set aside for us.

2266245770062847176S425x425Q85.jpg

You mean I don't have to wait for my pie, just take it from the rack :drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a great morning for a ride and I was excited to attend my first Pie Run. What a day and what a great group of people. I am usually pretty shy and don't do well in large crowds, but this group welcomed me with open arms and made me feel at home. It was great seeing all of the bikes and hearing some great stories. Some folks were even kind enough to let me take a sit on a couple of bikes that are on my short list for my next bike.

Well when it was time to eat, I sat with a great group of folks (Floyd, Mark, Bill, Jessica, and Chet) and we shared some good food and even better stories. Thanks goes to Sam's as I thought they did a solid job of handling that big of a crowd at once.

I hope to make many more of these in the future and hopefully get to know even more new friends. The camera I had wasn't the best, but here are a few shots I took:

PIC-0104.jpg

So many bikes to see!
PIC-0106.jpg

Cool looking BMW cruiser with a sidecar
PIC-0107.jpg

PIC-0114.jpg

Big group rolling in off the highway
PIC-0112.jpg

PIC-0113.jpg

So many choices!!!
PIC-0115.jpg

The crowd continues to grow
PIC-0120.jpg

PIC-0121.jpg

A interesting trike showed up
PIC-0122.jpg

- Bill

:eat: They surely handled us all well! Looks like there was plenty of pie!

I can't upload my photos from today - hopefully will get it corrected soon!

I enjoyed meeting everyone!! Thanks!!

My first, too. I had a great time, but boy am I tired.

Total mileage -- 369 miles (including slight detour on way back to see wife where she and her best friend were "digital scrapbooking" [drinking beer and eating pizza while using the WiFi] at Steel City Pizzaria on Sawdust in the Woodlands).

Well, I guess it never happened 'cause I aint got no pictures, but here's the lie I'm goin to tell:
Beth and I met up with drroccostein in Mansfield and then we both jumped on with Chuck's bunch out of Arlington. I'm always kidding that I'll be somewhere as long as the old Yamaha will start just one more time and it managed to do that today every time I asked it to. Of course I was bump starting it much of the morning due to some stuck relay that managed to fix itself halfway through the day, but it always started.

We all had a wonderfully cool and pleasant ride down then I got to EAT!!! Y'all probably can't tell it to look at me, but eatin is one of my favorite things to do. They had pie on the rack and you could just walk up and take whatever you wanted! Who would have even imagined that?

On the way home I was feeling real special. Leon (Focus Frenzy) led off and I got to ride behind Soozy and Komodore Obvious with Beth on the back of my bike. We had a pretty little 4 bike staggered formation going and it was a real kick to see a mother and her daughter ride together like that. We took a quick break in Hillsboro and Leon took off to Cleburne while the ladies and I headed up 35 towards Tarrant County and home. Now y'all beat that. I doubt any other guy here got to ride alone with three gals today! Beth and I peeled off at 287 and 157 and were safe at home by 330. I think our total mileage was 246 for the day.

Now somebody needs to find Wendy (Wendy and Steve) and tell her that I'm hotter than a pistol. Beth didn't cook me any dinner tonight and I bet Wendy is behind it somehow.

Mike

Last edited:
Great day for me too. My first Pie Run. I woke up early and met up with Big A in Belton, only to find out that my ZZR was leaking anti-freeze (I had flushed the system the night before). We couldn't find out what the problem was so I had to bring it home. Such is my fortune that I had my trusty Magna waiting for me. I just switched my gear and rode that up instead. I did upset myself because I forgot my camera, and then I forgot it again when I got the Magna. :doh:

Total mileage was just short of 350 miles, not a bad day of riding if I say so myself. Thanks go out to Big A and the others with him for letting me tag along and dealing with the small tank of the Magna. See you next month!

Your weather was probably a lot better than ours today. I think we were close to 115 in the valley and even at 6000' in Prescott it was close to 90. Exactly 340 miles door to door, and 11.25 hours gone from the house. The Connie rides again!

But I bet we had better roads to ride...
VMR8-30-09012.jpg

Some of the group at one of the staging areas...
VMR8-30-09015.jpg

Preparing to stuff our faces for breakfast...
attachment.php

Sure do miss y'all, but I've found a pretty good group out here to fill the void.
:thumb:

Last edited:
Also my first pie run. I had a great time drooling over all the bikes and the pie. I was planning on having cake, but the pecan pie caught my eye and I didn't see the cake.:eat:
Big thanks to Robin for leading our group and I enjoyed meeting everyone.

Mer and Terri
633852982_McNYJ-M.jpg

Group Shot
633846722_w57Zr-M.jpg

Mer and Terri again
633843976_j9JfT-M.jpg

Our first pie run and it was via cage....course if you read this general forum you know why. No photos, the digital camera was sitting on my desk at work. :giveup:

Not sure of the mileage. We had a GREAT time. I left thinking, I can't wait to ride again. And I guarantee I will remember only about 4 or 9 names. Cindy, it was great seeing you again and oggling the Versys. Bill, nice Connie and you and Cindy have similar taste to mine in helmets...color anyway.

On the way home we stopped at Buc-ee's in Madisonville for fuel and a potty break. Well the Shell satellite system was down so only cash or check for all items, fuel or store. And the world famous bathrooms were out of order. Why? There was a water main break somewhere that serviced Madisonville and no one had water.

Stopped by Motorcycles Unlimited on the way back to check on J-Dawg's Versys. Seems Patrick's estimate and Progressive's are a bit different. :eek2: But he's got another Progressive estimator coming out this week. He told J that the bike is a 2008 and when it is finished it will look like a brand new 2008. He's not going to let Progressive play games. :clap:

A great time was had. Look forward to more Pie Runs in the future, and this time NOT in a cage. :rider: :eat:

Sam's was an outstanding place to have a Pie Run. I vote we do that one again within the next year. Food was quick and good. The location made it a very do-able Sat. morning ride for folks from lots of locations.

To all from Tyler/Lindale/Kilgore - it was a genuine pleasure to ride down there with y'all. Duane - that was a most excellent ride back. You introduced us to some cool roads I never realized were in between Tenessee Colony and Brushy Creek.:rider:

Bill (LeanN2It) - it was a pleasure to meet a new TWT rider. I expect you'll be on some more of these. I'll look forward to seeing ya.

This was also MY first TWT PIE run too! What fun! It was so cool riding this morning and Robin (our leader) took us on some AWESOME roads (lot's of twisties!). (thanks again for leading us!) LOT's of bikes, cool people and PIE! :eat: We had an AWESOME time!! Here are a few of my meager pictures (I was having too much fun socializing!)

Part of the Dallas contingent
633885185_Ggn5J-M.jpg

633888426_PLYPy-M.jpg

300 miles for us today....:sun:
We enjoyed meeting everyone and look forward to the next one!!

Tell Beth she is doing great! If I was there, I would give her a hug! Life is all about change and I am sure you will adapt, or just start cooking dinner for yourself! Beth is the BEST.

My first Pie Run was a blast! :rider::eat::rider: YEAH!

Met up with 4 others in Thrall - innominate, WoodButcher, kurt (I think), and M38A1. I know everyone told me their names but I don't remember them now. Nervous because I've never done a group ride.

*sigh* 30 years riding but so much I've never done.

And my Nighthawk rat stands out like a Yugo in a BMW showroom.

So since I'm trying not to look like too much of a dip in front of everyone, the first thing I do - before we even got to leave the parking lot - is drop my bike. And, another new first for me, I managed to take out the bike next to me - M38A1's GS. :doh: I'm very happy to say, there are no pics.
I almost went home right then...but I'm glad I didn't.

Good people, good ride, lot's of bikes. And the staggered formation riding.....hmm. I could get used to that.

You'll see me again at some of these........just don't park next to me. :lol2:

Our first pie run and it was via cage....course if you read this general forum you know why. No photos, the digital camera was sitting on my desk at work. :giveup:

Not sure of the mileage. We had a GREAT time. I left thinking, I can't wait to ride again. And I guarantee I will remember only about 4 or 9 names. Cindy, it was great seeing you again and oggling the Versys. Bill, nice Connie and you and Cindy have similar taste to mine in helmets...color anyway.

On the way home we stopped at Buc-ee's in Madisonville for fuel and a potty break. Well the Shell satellite system was down so only cash or check for all items, fuel or store. And the world famous bathrooms were out of order. Why? There was a water main break somewhere that serviced Madisonville and no one had water.

Stopped by Motorcycles Unlimited on the way back to check on J-Dawg's Versys. Seems Patrick's estimate and Progressive's are a bit different. :eek2: But he's got another Progressive estimator coming out this week. He told J that the bike is a 2008 and when it is finished it will look like a brand new 2008. He's not going to let Progressive play games. :clap:

A great time was had. Look forward to more Pie Runs in the future, and this time NOT in a cage. :rider: :eat:

It was great meeting you and JDawg. I will give ya'll a shout the next time I head down that way. Now you need to get JDawg to post! :lol2:

So since I'm trying not to look like too much of a dip in front of everyone, the first thing I do - before we even got to leave the parking lot - is drop my bike. And, another new first for me, I managed to take out the bike next to me - M38A1's GS. :doh: I'm very happy to say, there are no pics.

Rat bikes are cool, I really liked yours. Don't sweat it, you have that one out of the way. I still catch flack about a certain Taco Cabana five years later. ;-)

Hey - no big deal. The world is still spinning on it's axis so life is good. Now the pig is 'balanced'. One drop on each side to date.

I left Oak Hill/SW Austin and headed North to meet up in Thrall with a group. About Round Rock, I see IronWombat (Garreth) headed the other way. He had mentioned going on in to Round Rock to meet up with Woodbutcher (Rusty) and Kurt as himself. I pulled into a gas station to turn around, and he had done the same so now headed my direction. We ran to the WalMart and waited for Rusty and Kurt to come by until about 8:35 then left for Thrall.

About two miles from the WalMart, Garreth wasn't accelerating through the gears. Turns out his shift linkage on the WeeStrom broke. I believe that's his second one now. Sad that he couldn't make the pie run, but the silver lining was he still had first gear and was only five or so miles from home. He made the turn for home and I headed to Thrall.

In Thrall, Rhodyne (Carl) and Innomate (Mark) were already there. We had expected CaroleAnn to show but she didn't. About 9:15, Rusty and Kurt show up. Fuel taken on-board and as we were gearing up, a patron of the SpeedyStop pointed to a bungee cord hanging from Carl's bike. He looked back and about that time the bike started to tip. Well, he went over and I was next to him so I went over just like a game of dominoes. No biggie. The Hepco-Becker bars did what I expected them to do. Once the bikes were uprighted and checked, Rusty led us out.

We had some great roads with little traffic for a Saturday. About Groesbeck we stopped for fuel for the 'little tank' bikes. I glanced to what I thought was a big block with a tall building in it and inquired "Is that a courthouse"? Like a flash, I was off for another courthouse pic. The group caught up to me one block away.

With our few delays now compounding our late arrival, we pulled into Sams about 11:45 to a sea of bikes. Gearing down we made our way inside to see everyone inside the 'room'. The door guy asked for our name and Kurt told him our party was already there. He said "there's no tables available. Name please". We waited about 10 minutes and the hostess was taking us to the big room. We told her our party was in the back and she just motioned for us to go there. So much for the name on the list thing.

Food selection was great and not bad for a buffet. The five of us sat at a table while the majority of everyone else had finished, paid and were outside. So we finished and made our way out as well.

I asked Pie Run Chair V2.0 if there was a courthouse in Fairfield and sure enough there is. With a wave of a hand and a pointing of a finger by Chuck, I was off for yet another picture and fuel. I came back and the big group was considerably smaller. After our goodbyes, our little band of five fueled up and made the trek back to the Austin area backtracking our way up.

Right at 400 miles for me. Great company, great weather, great friends. What more could one ask for?

Hey Billy!

I had a double fork sized load of Coconut Cream in my Pie Hole (get it? :rofl:) when I saw you headed to the check out register, and couldn't speak up.

By the time I made a pit stop and headed out to kick tires, I didn't see you again. Sorry!

I guess I should've just blurted out your name and spewed the neighboring table with coconut filling. You would've seen me then, the whole place would've been on my case!

Byron Lawrence and I started in Grapevine at 8, and we were still late. (Fashionably late I'm sure) and it's only 120 miles from my house :rider:. We kinda got caught up in the cool of the morning and wandered all over creation before we decided to head on in :giveup:.

What a wonderful day to have a Pie Run... anyone count the bikes?

My first Pie Run was a blast! :rider::eat::rider: YEAH!

Met up with 4 others in Thrall - innominate, WoodButcher, kurt (I think), and M38A1. I know everyone told me their names but I don't remember them now. Nervous because I've never done a group ride.

*sigh* 30 years riding but so much I've never done.

You should have parked next to my Nighthawk! :mrgreen:

Some of my photos along with Kyle's. Kyle (AC Cobra) is responsible for most of the photos in the parking lot at Sam's.

Group that met in Conroe...
dsc04309.jpg

dsc04310.jpg

dsc04311m.jpg

Kyle and Tim (Abby) getting the bike set up
dsc04312f.jpg

dsc04315b.jpg

dsc04313m.jpg

Let's see if I can remember the quote..."I smiling under the helmet. I like wearing the helmet, it makes me look younger." Did I get that right or butcher it up?
dsc04316p.jpg

Leaving Conroe, headed for The Waverly House to pick up a couple more riders.
dsc04319o.jpg

One of the riders from The Waverly House. anyone remember seeing his ride in the parking lot?
dsc04330.jpg

On the road
dsc04333c.jpg

Tim and Kyle in Madisonville
dsc04338q.jpg

And the bikes... or at least some of the photos of the bikes...

dsc04347.jpg

dsc04348y.jpg

dsc04349.jpg

dsc04350o.jpg

dsc04351o.jpg

dsc04353n.jpg

dsc04354t.jpg

dsc04356.jpg

dsc04359.jpg

dsc04361.jpg

dsc04362.jpg

dsc04364.jpg

dsc04365.jpg

dsc04367.jpg

dsc04368x.jpg

dsc04369y.jpg

dsc04372pik.jpg

dsc04378h.jpg

dsc04379n.jpg

dsc04384.jpg

dsc04390.jpg

dsc04396n.jpg

dsc04399ndh.jpg

dsc04400.jpg

dsc04401.jpg

dsc04404.jpg

dsc04409k.jpg

As we were headed home we caught up with Tim and Mike so Kyle grabbed a few more shots
dsc04414.jpg

dsc04413.jpg

dsc04412.jpg

dsc04415.jpg

Anyone want to make a wild guess what caught Kyle's eye the most in Sam's parking lot?

All of the pictures are available over on my Face Book page, the ones above are just the ones I uploaded to ImageShack so I could post them here. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6985&id=1813788930

Back