• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie run VIII: The shed, Edom 8/31/19

Thank goodness for the rain, it meant my son's soccer game was cancelled. The nasty edge was roaring through my area this morning.

Screenshot_20190831-080308-L.png

Put on the rain suit, and punched through the storm on 20. Thought I'd be the first one there but another guy showed up there for breakfast. We had coffee together.

IMG_20190831_104703-L.jpg

We had some more show up, mostly locals and a few from Tyler and Nac.

IMG_20190831_114100-L.jpg

I had Philly Cheese-steak sandwich with onion rings.

IMG_20190831_114900-L.jpg

Then I rode further east and met up with some friends from Baton Rouge headed to South Dakota on their annual father/son trip. Rode to Witesboro to their hotel, had dinner with them and headed home. Total of 460 miles today.

Robin and I made out ride to Edom today. As usual the food at The Shed was good. We both had the chicken fried steak. Missed seeing everyone but stayed dry which we wouldn't have done yesterday. Unfortunately on the ride back home I didn't miss something I would have rather missed.

Robin was leading and I was following at about a 2 second interval. She ran up on a flock of turkey buzzards feeding on road kill. As she got near them they took off to the right. Would have been fine if they had kept going that way but they didn't.

As the leader crossed the ditch he dipped his right wing and did a pirouette back toward the highway with the rest following. Unfortunately I was coming up to the take off spot just about that time. I saw the leader heading for me out of my peripheral vision. I swerved left and ducked down but there was no missing him. Hit him on the side of my helmet with a glancing blow. Felt like someone had slapped me up side the head. Looked down at my mirror and saw him fall to the road. Guess it knocked him out.

Turkey buzzards are big birds. Wing span is about 5 to 6 feet feet and they can weigh up to 5 pounds. If I did not have a helmet on I might have been the one knocked out. I pulled up beside Robin and she looked my helmet over. Said she could not see any damage or buzzard guts. So other than getting a little stun when I hit him I came out of it OK. Rest of the ride home was uneventful thankfully.

You were very lucky! Buzzard strikes can go VERY bad! The worst possible scenario is they get freaked and decide to lighten their load... on you :eek2: :puke: Better to just die on impact :suicide:

One of my Aunts had one come through the windshield on her week old Chevy Impala. Took a while to get the smell out of it.

Dang Buffalo, sorry I missed you and Robin, haven't chatted with ya'll in quite a while. Glad the buzzard incident ended up mostly a non event.

Back