• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run X Reports: 10/28/06

Just thought of this. A pat on the back and a big thanks to whoever came up with the t-shirt design. Nice stuff!:clap: One for my daughter and one for me;-)

The Ponder Report (Pie Run #1 on 10/28 if you are inclined toward top ten statistics) ;-)

There were a couple of "collection points" posted but a lot of folks just wandered up that way. I met with two of my workmates (gowest1 and MusicMan754) at our old, reliable Minyard Food Store in SW Arlington. We proceeded to meet up with another bunch and our fearless leader, Kidder. Here are the usual suspects at the Exxon station at US377 and FM1087 (in the boonies):
exxon_1281q.jpg

Most of us got cold on the ride down. Kevin (gowest1) mentioned something about a "popsicle" at a traffic light stop. Other than the temperature, the clear skys were just gorgeous. After lunch, it was shirt-sleeve weather - time to remove layers.

The Exxon group included Mitch (mitchntx)
mitch_1282q.jpg

Wayne (pacman1)
wayne_1283q.jpg

Bill (Graubart)
bill_1284q.jpg

Nathan (tx-vfr)
nathan_1285q.jpg

Kevin (gowest1 - our token cruiser rider) ;-)
kevin_1286q.jpg

Justin (MusicMan754)
justin_1287q.jpg

Wayne and Nathan had intended to meet Ryan (l8rgtr) in Burleson, but he didn't show. We were a little concerned that something had happened. It had (not serious) - see below...

Our fearless leader was a smidge late, Judd (Kidder):
judd_1288q.jpg

This little guy has been in my top case for eons - I finally decided to get him out for his inaugural run. It's cool that he wedges right in between the mirror and the Ram mount
mascot_1289q.jpg

can he be the official mascot? :trust:

One more shot with all the bikes (8):
exxon_1290q.jpg

L-to-R: Mitch, Bill, Wayne, Nathan, Kevin, Justin, Judd

Wayne had volunteered to lead and Judd said he would do it only if nobody else would and somebody pointed out that I had a GPS but Judd had the route written on his tankbag map holder and Wayne had it memorized. The decision process was just like deciding when and where the Johnson County M&G will be... :lol2:

Wayne took off in the lead with his red ZRX and matching gear, the rest of us followed, including four (count 'em 4) V-Stroms! (2 1000s and 2 650s). :thumb:

The route was one that Denton Don had posted and it was true to form, we just didn't believe it a couple of times - in one spot my Topo detail maps didn't have the section of FM730 across 199... :shrug:

We found Ranchman's right where it was supposed to be with a small group of riders already there. (those dang KLRs are everywhere) :roll:
ranchmans_1295q.jpg

Right after we got there, a SUV with a bike on a trailer pulled in - we were all thinking "what is going on?". Turns out it was Ryan who had electrical problems (initially thought it was the battery, turned out to be the starter solinoid). He didn't want to leave the bike at home, and was planning to drop by EuroSportCycle afterwards...
ryans_truck_1291q.jpg

Folks just kept arriving in ones, twos, and threes. The restuarant didn't open until 11:00 and we were a bit early. But no matter, we all looked at bikes and talked with folks.
ponder_1292q.jpg

ponder_1293q.jpg

ponder_1294q.jpg

The place was bigger than we thought - they had the whole back room for us initially.
tables_1297q.jpg

Elzi and Bill guarded the card and donation box. Nathan, Ramona, and Don in the background.
table_1296q.jpg

It was good to see Jamie without her sling (right). That is Rob (left) and hubby Jerry at the table with her.
table_1298q.jpg

There were enough new folks to confuse me (doesn't take much, especially since I think I was the "senior" person there :-( ), and I may have some of these wrong - please post any errors and they WILL be corrected...

Got bit by the shadows here, but that is Ron, and (I think) Ken and Steve
table_1299q.jpg

From the other end of the room - I believe that is Laurie, Theresa, and Kevin (Hop) at the first table.
table_1300q.jpg

I know most of these guys at the two font tables - Kevin (gowest1), Jeff, Sean (first time to meet him), Wayne, Kelly, and Justin
table_1301q.jpg

Sean, Wayne, Kelly, and later joined by Hank - :eek2: Rexers! :giveup: Run! Women and children first! :-P Oh, OK, they are a good group. :thumb: It was good to see Kelly healing up after his buzzard strike and the ZRXOA was a big encouragement to him.

If you snuck in to sign the card, Bill gave you this look (that is Russell looking innocent)
table_1302q.jpg

This noisy group had some new faces (CW from lower left) - Denise, Russell, Scott, Mitch, Kevin, part of Theresa, Mike, Ryan, Armando, and Judd
table_1303q.jpg

I missed the table with Philip and Carey - they have both recently transplanted to North Texas from College Station and were catching up on things. Welcome to the real world, fellas.

On the way out, I spotted a couple of more signs:
mama_sign_1308q.jpg

daddy_sign_1307q.jpg

-------

Here is the official list - Judd was right with his 32 count - I counted "lines" and that Sneaky James couple put "Jamie & Jerry" on the same line just to make me look bad. :-(

Judd (Kidder), Mansfield, Suzuki GSXR1000
Russell (nogutsnoglory), Plano, BMW K1200RS
Denise (with Russell), Plano, Honda Shadow 750
Scott (dfwscotty), Denton, Kawasaki KLR650
Mitch (mitchntx), Granbury, Zuk DL1000 V-Strom
Armando (yamata), Ft. Worth, Yamaha FZ1
Ryan (l8rg8r), Ft. Worth, Ford Excusion pulling an Aprilia Falco :trust:
Mike (mnapuran, also MikeN), Allen, Honda CBR600F4
Theresa (gocatgo), Boyd, Suzuki DR 650 (the "other" dual sport) ;-)
Kevin (Hop), Bonham, MZ Scorpion Tour 660
Laurie (with Kevin), Bonham, Honda Magna 750
Justin (MusicMan754), Arlington, Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom
Kevin (gowest1), Grand Prairie, Yamaha RoadStar
Jeff (bung), Ft. Worth, Triumph Speed Triple
Rob (Rob_S), Plano, BMW K1200GT
Jerry (lobo10s), Plano, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jamie (2-up with Jerry), Plano
Philip (pdef), Hurst, Aprilia Tuono
Carey (NR), Granbury, Suzuki GSXR600 with custom paint :thumb:
Sean (SeanFromTX), Corinth, Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Henry (hank327), Denton, Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Bill (Graubart), Glen Rose, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Elzi (TexasShadow, Volk?), Axle, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Nathan (tx-vfr), Keene, Honda VFR800
Don (donroger1), Denton, Kawasaki Concours
Ramona (Don's SO), Denton, caged over to join us for lunch
Steve (Rufus T Firefly), Allen, Concours
Ken (Cricket), Oklahoma City!, BMW K1200GT?
Ron (vfer), Justin, Honda RC51
Wayne (pacman1), Burleson, Kawasaki ZRX1100
Kelly (FWRex), Ft. Worth, caged
Chuck (Gilk51), Arlington, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Let me say again that there were 6 (count 'em 6) V-Stroms in the parking lot. (and one KLR) :mrgreen:

-------

Again, thanks to all who donated for this good cause. The T-shirts were a nice touch, although I am afraid that I handled them rather hap-hazardly. If I screwed up and you didn't get one, it wasn't intentional. If you will let me know, I'll try to get one for you (send a PM).

BTW, one of the TWT family donated 15 T-shirts to each of the four Pie Run sites, with the proceeds going toward the Friday Relief Fund. :clap:

(the fine print)
All references to V-Stroms that appear to be biased and self-serving are fictional and in no way, shape, or form correspond to real persons, living or stuffed with pie

If I just paste the link, I get a "You are not authorized" error...

If you get too frustrated and you can pull my email address out of my profile (I'd post it but it is already getting spoofed enough), you can email me the images & I'll host them for you.

Great day for a ride. Even better that it was to such a propitious gathering.

Ant_129 and I were the only two to tag up from the Clear Lake area to head to location #3. Temps were a mild 60F. We took a scenic route up through LaPorte, Baytown, Dayton, Cleveland and New Waverly. We saw high water on the north end FM1008 but only in one spot did it almost cover the roadway. Had it been the day before, I suspect it would have been a water crossing.

Returning, we took a detour to 946 and 945. A section of 945 south of 150 is under construction. At one point, the pavement ended but only for a short stretch.

The rest of the trip was uneventful. My odo showed 260 miles door-to-door. Glad to see this event had a lack of "incidents" from any location.

When do the fall colors peak up there?

Gilk51 said:
Here is the official list - Judd was right with his 32 count - I counted "lines" and that Sneaky James couple put "Jamie & Jerry" on the same line just to make me look bad. :-(

Let me say again that there were 6 (count 'em 6) V-Stroms in the parking lot. (and one KLR) :mrgreen:

(the fine print)
All references to V-Stroms that appear to be biased and self-serving are fictional and in no way, shape, or form correspond to real persons, living or stuffed with pie

See what I have to live with? :trust: Jamie does that to me all of the time, trying to sneak things by me.. hehehe great Pie run. We enjoyed our time with everyone.

well it looks like I managed to forget your name Bill. instead I called you Robert :doh: I'll have to resort to Chuck's pen and paper or just give up and not try at all :oops:

I had a great time. food was good, weather was great, some of the folks that showed up were a little ornery, but then thats to be expected out of this bunch! :lol2:

Gilk51 said:
(the fine print)
Hah! Speak for yourself, you pie eater!

TS,
Ice Cream Eater and Biased Wee-stromer.

I was just out for a nice ride and found this nice quiet place:
Ponderlunch.jpg

Then, while sitting in the sun soaking up some rays, along comes these weirdos on two wheels:
PieRun_Ponder2.jpg

And they just kept on coming:
PieRun_Ponder1.jpg

<sigh> So much for a nice quiet ride and sit on a sunny brisk Saturday morning.
:mrgreen:

TexasShadow said:
They were in my count.... Who did I miss??
Probably YOURS! ;-)

There were 4 in our group.
Graubart
mitchntx
MusicMan754
Gilk51

One was already there.
TexasShadow

And one arrived a bit later:
Lobo10s

That makes 6 for me!
4 650s and 2 1000s
:lol2:

Hey VFER thanks for the information on Hwy 455 and 677 in Texas good choiceof roads. :clap:

Then I came to Hwy 32 in Oklahoma the must of used a chalk line to build that road. :rider:
Then worked my way to Ardmore OK when I saw a motorcycle come up from behind and pulled up be side me and was another K1200GT giving me the thumb up sign then turn back for Ardmore. Then on Hwy 77 to Turner Falls pick up 12 fried pies 4 chocolate, 3 cherry, 1 apple,3 peach and 1 apricot yummy. Then picked up Hwy 35 to home had a great ride for a good cause. Nice meeting everybody. :thumb:

Cricket said:
Then on Hwy 77 to Turner Falls pick up 12 fried pies 4 chocolate, 3 cherry, 1 apple,3 peach and 1 apricot yummy.
My son just did a geology field trip up there yesterday & said something about stopping for fried pies. What is the name of that place (he couldn't remember)?

Gilk51 said:
My son just did a geology field trip up there yesterday & said something about stopping for fried pies. What is the name of that place (he couldn't remember)?

Cant remember the name but it’s right off Hwy I-35 and Hwy 77 exit 51 on the west side of the Hwy big sign.

I missed a good expierience! Thanks for sharing the pics, it seems that everyone had a great time... my Vstrom really belonged there!!!

Next time.

Tgatortexas1, thanks for posting the pics from Kyle...nice!

Now, if I could just remember everyone's name (other than their login names)...obviously I need to go on more of these pie runs.

It was great seeing everyone and getting a chance to know a few more of the TWT gang. See you on the roads around Austin!

Any pics from Huntsville? I thought I saw a camera there...

I think the Crash & Burn t-shirts should be here, somewhere.

Yes, it was too bad we had to ride up in such miserable weather. Please don't make me do that again :) (well, at least not for the same reason!)

Back