• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pink Cap...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
A competitor at the CapTex triathlon yesterday. C&C please...

DSC0197-1-L.jpg

The only improvement I can think of would have been to offset her to the left. I am not a big fan of photos like this being on center.

It strikes me as too much face. Do you have a copy with a wider view? Might work well along with Scott's suggestion to offset.

Looks like an attempt at a depth of field assignment - but I can't figure out what the "story" is. I find the half-goggle crop line distracting too.

Lest this sounds harsh I've seen your previous work - this doesn't stack up IMHO.

My thought process was this competitor was just getting ready to enter the water for a 1,500 meter swim to start off the Olympic distance triathlon. I pulled up the camera and she made laser focused eye-contact with me as I fired away. I suppose it was the intenseness (if that's even a word) that grabbed me. So on that level, maybe it was a bit more personal than portrayal. I suppose if it were a two or three shot series, with one showing all the other women stacked like sardines in the chute it might have provided more of a context/story line.

As for the crop, I tried to keep her out of center, but I didn't have enough room on one side and on the other another competitors chin and nose started to appear really distracting the eye. At 160mm focal length and maybe 10-12 feet away, the frame was pretty full to begin with.

Regarding DOF, I was shooting ISO 3200 and f/5 at 1/3200th. (Yeah, it was screaming fast on all accounts) I knew I wanted it shallow to totally bokeh the background and bring out the the competitors eyes or nose, whichever I focused on. So in some respects, it was an exercise as I planned on a shallow DOF.

Thanks for the input....

My thought process was this competitor was just getting ready to enter the water for a 1,500 meter swim to start off the Olympic distance triathlon. I pulled up the camera and she made laser focused eye-contact with me as I fired away. I suppose it was the intenseness (if that's even a word) that grabbed me. So on that level, maybe it was a bit more personal than portrayal. I suppose if it were a two or three shot series, with one showing all the other women stacked like sardines in the chute it might have provided more of a context/story line.

As for the crop, I tried to keep her out of center, but I didn't have enough room on one side and on the other another competitors chin and nose started to appear really distracting the eye. At 160mm focal length and maybe 10-12 feet away, the frame was pretty full to begin with.

Regarding DOF, I was shooting ISO 3200 and f/5 at 1/3200th. (Yeah, it was screaming fast on all accounts) I knew I wanted it shallow to totally bokeh the background and bring out the the competitors eyes or nose, whichever I focused on. So in some respects, it was an exercise as I planned on a shallow DOF.

Thanks for the input....

Someone got a new camera then! I must have missed the unboxing thread :chug:

As for the image, I like it, and will only mirror the comments regarding the framing.

Nice!

Back