• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Places to ride near Plano, TX

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Okay Peeps, my 15 year old daughter just got a new CRF250X (she has ridden since she was 7, had a crf50, 70, 90& 150F) and she desperately wants to ride it off road (getting bored riding around the garden!), we just moved to Plano from Seattle, WA and don't know of any state parks or private off-road parks in the area and are hoping you can give some recommendations. As she is only 15, she doesn't have a driving license and the CRF250X is not yet road legal (will be by the time she turns 16!), so we need a state park or a private off-road park.

Thanks for all and any suggestions.

Gary

t

Last edited:
State parks are mostly hiking and equestrian trails while park roads require a drivers license and street legal. Eisenhower SP near the OK border has a motorcycle trail but I have not done it. It is probably very short too.

I did discover a ATV park in Davis OK if you want to trailer a couple of hours.

If she and the bike were licensed I would say LBJ Grasslands. You can't ride offroad but the roads are gravel and two lane paved.

Mike, do you know how she goes about getting a license at 15? We have asked several driver Education schools and they all say she can't get a motorcycle license until she is 16!! She is starting to learn to drive a car, so being off-road is the best place for me!! Safer than being on the road with her in a tin box!! :doh: As the bike is a 250, the 250cc limit is not a problem..

I will try and convince the family to spend a day at Bulcher this weekend and let you guys know what it's like!! I think I have ridden there before, would be great to see you and Rman :clap:..

Gary

Try boondoxxx MX in farmersville, brushy creek motor farm in royse city

Try boondoxxx MX in farmersville, brushy creek motor farm in royse city

Boondocks is permanently closed. Brushy creek if your desperate, it's maybe 200 acres of random trails with a creek. Usually very muddy and rutted up from 4 wheelers. Trophy club would be good for her but I think it's still closed from the flooding in May. So that leaves red river motorcycle trails and rocky ridge. Both about 1.5 hours near muenster. Riding sucks in north tx.

The money for the parks is in allowing ATVs, side by sides, and Jeeps/Trucks. So it is hard to find a place to ride bikes that has not been torn up by everything else. The best thing is to have a friend with their own property :-P I just wish I knew one... :ponder:

Here is the link to the ATV park in Davis. It is about as "near" as Meunster is. Fee was $10 and several RVs had pulling into slots with connections. One trail beat the heck out of my old SL350 (and my knees). There were less brutal trails there but ...

Cross Bar ranch

b4baab2290a843d8bf355b015e9b8006.jpg

That's a pretty accurate picture of Cross Bar Ranch. I've always gotten beat up there(not to mention equipment). +1 for Red River Trails. LOTS of variety.

When did boondocks close? I liked riding there.

A couple months ago. Rumor is they are being sued, you know they weren't very diligent in having people sign release forms or anything. If those actually do any good anyhow.

Bummer. I taught my wife to ride there. Fun place due to the 5 different tracks, and the ability to link them all together to make one giant loop.

Many thanks guys, as mentioned not a lot of choice, but we will probably try Red River this weekend..

Gary

Many thanks guys, as mentioned not a lot of choice, but we will probably try Red River this weekend..

Gary

I have been wanting to try Red River. Check the miles for us and see if it needs the OHV sticker (I think it does).

Can't say when but I am going there soon.

I have been wanting to try Red River. Check the miles for us and see if it needs the OHV sticker (I think it does).

Can't say when but I am going there soon.

If you look at the WEB site for RED river, under rules and requirements, the very first line states spark arrestors and OHV stickers are NOT required. :doh:

Gary

Red River is privately owned, been riding there since the mid 70's.

You can expect lots of sand down around the creek, the trails up in the hills can be anything from sandy to gravel to clay to rock,,,you get the idea.

I have not been in eight years to this site, but there is another privately owned riding area on Highway 51 between Decatur and Gainesville, called Rocky Ridge.

Black dirt clay mixed with lime stone rocks, lots of quads. Some very easy trails.

Good Luck

If you look at the WEB site for RED river, under rules and requirements, the very first line states spark arrestors and OHV stickers are NOT required. :doh:

Gary

I must be confusing it with a place my riding buddy has suggested. He might be talking about riding the banks of the Red River on public property.

No sticker needed at Red River Trails, just a Jackson each.

Had a great day at Red River!! My daughter rode her new CRF250X like a champ, tackled everything we found, had a few minor spills but did great and loves the bike!! I managed to drown my bike crossing the river at the end, ingested water in the carb whilst crossing so had to push the bike out (water was about 2.5 feet deep!!). Filled the engine, transmission and carb with water!! Took about 3 hours to drain the carb, change the engine oil (twice to get all the water out) and get her started. I stole my daughters bike when it happened to go back to the car and get a tow rope, The carb needs sorting out as it hesitates a little when you open the throttle quickly, could be dirt in the carb or jetting needs changing. Got back with the rope and let my wife tow me on my CRF behind her little crf230!! It didn't work out, so I rode the 230 and my wife tried to ride my 450 but it was too tall for her. In the end my daughter rode my 450 being towed by me on my wife's crf230 and my wife rode the CRF250X of my daughter!! My wife loved the 250, but it was too tall for her (like my 450!!). Fortunately we where only 2 miles from the car when I drowned the bike, so it took 20 minutes to get back to the car once we had changed riders and bikes!! Had a great time and would definitely recommend the park to anyone wanting a bit of dirt. Just one comment, watch out for Quads!! They where everywhere, all very friendly and helpful but we bumped into them all the time!! Very popular..

Mike & Rman, if you want to come up here for a ride, plan on a full weekend, but I think you would have a great time & I hope we could join you when you are here!!

Gary

Yea meant to warn you about the quads. There is a motorcycle only area called bills woods. This normally the only place I ride when out there now to stay away from the quads. It can be difficult for beginners though and not easy to find when your new to the park.

The fact that they don't have maps of the park, made every where difficult!! We just rode around in circles trying different trails until we had enough then I used the GPS to find routes that took us in the correct direction to get back to the car.. Naming and putting signs on the trails would be great and then a map so you could work out where you are, where you want to go would be great, but we still had a great day and look forward to going back again.

Gary

Back