• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Places You've Visited and How You Were Treated.

Don't EVER stay at the Budget Inn in Menard. The foreigners running the place are low life border line thieves, and most of the things in the hotel did not work and were in a state of massive deferred maintenance. It was filthy. The hotel phone system did not work. They charged me $60 for the %^&* room then $15 more for late checkout, knowing I had to wait till about 12:30 for my wife to show up with a trailer to recover me and my RT with a blown out rear tire. That after telling me "no problem at all" when told what time she'd arrive. Then they saw she had our small dog with her and charged me $5 more for pets. I was on a motorcycle, without a pet thank you. I hate dealing with people who are just lucky they are allowed into America in the first place, don't master the language, and then return the favor by taking advantage of the very Americans that feed them. Only 2 rooms of 23 were rented that Monday night 11/15/21. Now I know why.

Don't EVER stay at the Budget Inn in Menard. The foreigners running the place are low life border line thieves, and most of the things in the hotel did not work and were in a state of massive deferred maintenance. It was filthy. The hotel phone system did not work. They charged me $60 for the %^&* room then $15 more for late checkout, knowing I had to wait till about 12:30 for my wife to show up with a trailer to recover me and my RT with a blown out rear tire. That after telling me "no problem at all" when told what time she'd arrive. Then they saw she had our small dog with her and charged me $5 more for pets. I was on a motorcycle, without a pet thank you. I hate dealing with people who are just lucky they are allowed into America in the first place, don't master the language, and then return the favor by taking advantage of the very Americans that feed them. Only 2 rooms of 23 were rented that Monday night 11/15/21. Now I know why.

You would have done much better in Mason.

How about don't stay at Budget Inn! You didn't need to add in Menard. Then again I'm a hotel snob. I guess that happens when you travel a lot.

Very nice stories. I have many really great stories but I am struggling to remember a bad incidence/place to write about. Must be my great charm and manner!!!

TruCountry Inn, Brady, TX. 2021. Probably the friendliest craziest small town hotel experience I have ever had. Would definitely stay there again.

Spencer, TN. 2001. Motorcycle crash. Old couple provided aid, a phone, and their church came to feed us and clean us up and make sure we were ok. Good people.

Pea Ridge, AR. 2001. It was like the townspeople had an emergency meeting overnight the day we rolled into town. They wouldn’t speak to us, serve us, or acknowledge us. Couldn’t get anything to eat or even anyone to acknowledge us for a receipt at checkout at the motel. Very weird.

Honobia, OK. 2017-2019. Super friendly folks. All 5 of them, lol. Little campground and grille we stay at up there. They offered to let us sleep in a converted school bus so we didn’t have to set up our tent in the rain.

Somewhere in the Smokies. 2003. My girlfriend, now wife, and I stayed at a small cabin and campground place. We wanted to get beer but it was a dry county. The restaurant was going to close soon, as was the only small store across the state line. Beer or dinner. We had to choose. We decided to make a beer run through the mountains and hope they had enough gas station snacks to get us to morning. The owner of the cabins laughed and wished us luck. We made our run, and came back to the cabin to find that they had made us a meal anyway. I wish I could remember exactly where this was because I would make it a point to stay there again and again. The only clue I have is that the beer store had a sign outside that said “last beer for 24 miles”.
Your Pea Riddge AR experience was about the same as we had at a restaurant in Manitou Springs CO once. After being seated we were TOTALLY ignored. Nice looking place with almost no one there. After an extended wait with zero attention I "thought" I noticed a person looking at us with a grin/smirk on her face. Told my wife and we got up to leave. Wife is very tender hearted and was crying as we got in our vehicle. My thought was correct, the same person came to the door and laughed at us through the window as we backed out. ???

@Irishcoffee story reminded of an extremely weird visit last year to Mod Pizza in Conroe. If you haven't been it's similar in concept to Subway except with pizza. So the young lady got us started with what we wanted on the pizza and took us on down the line to checkout. Asked our drinks, told me the total...... looked up to pay. She was gone, never to return! We stood around, saw her peeking from kitchen area. After 5 minutes or so, a guy took payment and gave us our food. This was winter of 2020, covid beginning, the BLM riots, Trump stuff, ect. That said our conversation with the lady had been nothing but business, we had no offensive clothing or sayings, no Trump stuff. But it was clear something about me had offended her. She came back out as soon as we sat down. I so wanted to know what caused this but not my style, I just never went back.

Has anyone on here ever visited or stayed at the Jonquil Motel in Bisbee AZ? Sterling Noren owns it and he has a great YouTube series about motorcycle adventures. His filming around Bisbee shows some great riding areas. I haven't been there, but it looks like that area could be a good destination ride.

Enjoyed several motorcycle trips through Europe and couldn't have been more pleased with the hospitality. One example stands out - we pulled into a hotel in Chaumont and asked for and received our rooms for the night. In the best French I could muster I asked the innkeeper for her recommendation for a good restaurant. She shouted back into the back room, grabbed her coat, and said she would take us to her sister's restaurant. She hopped on the back of my buddy's bike and off we went to our destination. She met her sister, who seated us, then went back to visiting. We waited for a minute, wondering when we might see a waiter, when suddenly food came out and was placed on the table. We kept eating and it kept coming, and it was delicious. When it was time to go we all rode back to the hotel and had a cognac before she did us good night.

While this would be unusual in the US, we kept coming across this welcoming behavior in most places we stopped. I don't know if it were the bikes, the deference to their advice, or that they just felt sorry for us poor lost Yanks. Hope to get back someday.

Worst? Okinawa, 1969-1970. Military police (MPs, APs) had an anti-biker policy. Violations and penalties were posted in the HQ, and car drivers were given "verbal warning", bikers given "30 day suspension", etc. My buddy got 30 days for raising his visor. Cops would U-turn to follow us, or have car trouble in front of us, and pull out after us. We exited the base through the dump during a base closure and had an exciting escape from APs in a jeep. When I returned to the states, I realized that I didn't need to be so paranoid.

I'll +1 to the comments about Junction. My first time there was with a TARA ride in 2020, probably a couple hundred bikes in town. While I didn't encounter any aggressive cops, I did get the distinct feel employees at the nearby truckstop and restaurants really did not "care for" bikers. I've passed through that town several times since on road bikes and every time have spotted (or google pointed out) speed traps, and someone was always pulled over- usually a motorcycle. So I definitely mind my manners passing through and avoid it if reasonably possible.

Leakey, TX- corner of the 3 sisters- I've always found everyone is extremely friendly and accommodating. Stayed at most of the cabins/motels in town at some point and always a great experience.

Eureka Springs, AR is another really nice little town. Fairly touristy, but it's an ideal place to stay in the middle of a lot of really excellent riding in the area. It's super biker-friendly, sure that's a major driver of the town's economy. Lot of really good restaurants and an interesting downtown area.

I enjoy going to South Padre usually once or twice a year (absolutely avoiding spring break season), and I tend to travel on a budget. I'm not fussy about cheap hotels, if it's reasonably clean and the AC works, I'm fine. The room is just a crash pad, I'm not spending any time in it so who cares if the decor is dated. Most I've stayed at were perfectly fine. However one place to absolute avoid there is the "South Padre Island Inn" (not to be confused with the SPI "Lodge" a couple blocks nearby, that was fine). This place was a total dump, room was filthy, stank like puke, and everything was broken. But the biggest issue was the sleazy, dishonest owners. After checking out, they sent me a message via Expedia, how I originally booked it, that I was being charged $100 for "room damages" and shortly thereafter I got a card-not-present charge alert from Amex they had run my card for not $100, but $150. I called them and they would not give any details about what we supposedly broke. They said the $50 extra dollars was for an unreturned keycard, which may have been true, but still an exorbitant rip off. I said I was going to dispute the charge on my card. This really set them off and they started yelling and swearing at me, you m-fer, you know you trash the room, we're a small family business and you f us over, yadda yadda. Hung up (they tried calling me back several times, blocked their #) disputed it with Amex, they instantly reversed the charge and later said it was finalized as the hotel failed to respond or provide proof I authorized the charge. So they're clearly running a scam, renting out trashed rooms, then charging people who stay there for the damage, over and over and of course never fixing anything. Their reviews are full of reports about being overcharged, random fees being added, ect.

The only other hotel I've run into in Texas that I absolutely would not stay again was the Super 8 in Ozona. The rooms were typical cheapo motel, that wasn't really the problem. This place had an unusual indoor courtyard full of trees and plants and stuff, and at one point, had two pools and a hot tub. At current, only the pool had water in it, and this was a mosquito incubation factory. It was absolutely unbearable, the air was literally hazy with clouds of bugs. I asked at the front desk and the guy just nonchalantly said yeah, someone is coming to spray for those next week. Skeeters were in the office, hallways, everywhere. There were also yellow jacket nests all over the place under the breezeway soffets. Later at night caught some sketchy looking people cruising the parking lot- we were all up fairly late boozing- appeared to be trying car doors and were snooping around our groups' bikes. When one of us went out there, they quickly pretended to just be "admiring" the bikes, made about 30 seconds of nervous small talk, then slowly made their way to a *** pickup and left. So they drove to a cheap motel around midnight on the off chance there were some cool bikes to look at, right. Called the front desk to let them know, the clerk couldn't possibly seem less interested, maybe this was a routine occurrence. Just asked if anything was stolen, said no, "ill make a note of it" and hung up.

Worst restaurant experience was Garlic Mike's just north of Gunnison Colorado. Bad food...bad service...bad attitudes. Honestly nothing good to say about the place. I'll never darken the door there again.
That's pretty much every restaurant in Colorado. This place has the worst food at the highest price with the poorest service of anywhere in the USA. Dunno why, it's just become that way in the last 10 years or so.

The only real problem we had was with the folks in New Mexico when we planned to go there year before last. COVID was about, and we were trying to find out the rules. The Governor had made rules that if you came you had to quarantine IN YOUR HOTEL for 14 days. Absurd. We tried to get deposits back, and get money back for the concert we coudn't attend, and people were absolutely vicious to us. We used to love Red River, and went there most summers. Haven't been since, and I think it's unlikely we'll ever return. We had friends who lived there at the time. It was their dream retirement community. He worked as a Red River Marshall after retiring from the Irving police force. They are back in Texas now because of all the ridiculous rules the fascist Governor has instituted with COVID as an excuse.

I will also say that most of the places I've been I've been treated with respect and generosity.

When I was 12, my sister and I lost our parents in a car accident in Mexico. Everyone treated us with great kindness and love . . . except the officials, who were incredibly corrupt. My uncle went down there to make arrangements for us, the bodies of our parents, etc. My father had been a mechanic, and had a full tool box with us. It came through the accident and Uncle David had it with him at the airport, waiting outside to board the plane. A sheriff's car drove up, the deputy got out, walked up to him, picked up the tool box and placed it in the trunk of the car, drove off. They literally had to smuggle my sister out of the country because our paperwork was messed up (minors without our parents). The doctors arranged for my aunt, who was staying with her, to have her at a hospital door at a certain time. They loaded her into an ambulance and took her to the airport where she was met by Mrs. Beech's King Air (Dad worked for Beechcraft). They loaded her aboard and immediately took off.

For me the friends we were traveling with just bribed a border guard on the Mexican side to let me through.

The only real problem we had was with the folks in New Mexico when we planned to go there year before last. COVID was about, and we were trying to find out the rules. The Governor had made rules that if you came you had to quarantine IN YOUR HOTEL for 14 days. Absurd. We tried to get deposits back, and get money back for the concert we coudn't attend, and people were absolutely vicious to us. We used to love Red River, and went there most summers. Haven't been since, and I think it's unlikely we'll ever return. We had friends who lived there at the time. It was their dream retirement community. He worked as a Red River Marshall after retiring from the Irving police force. They are back in Texas now because of all the ridiculous rules the fascist Governor has instituted with COVID as an excuse.
Sorry to hear about this. New Mexico is really nice. Except for our 3rd world governor. I won't get political.

Sorry to hear about this. New Mexico is really nice. Except for our 3rd world governor. I won't get political.
I agree, except I would add the keyboard warriors that literally had my wife in tears.

Made the mistake of telling the Canadian border crossing people that I didn't have a weapon and in fact didn't even own one.
They said "But you're from Texas...."
Then proceed to take me to the "little room" while they searched my bike.
No weapon and they didn't like my attitude I guess.

Back