• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning a ride from DFW to Calgary this June 2022

Reaction score
Putting together a ride to Calgary this summer. Wanting to go around June 1st but flexible. Will incorporate ride thru Durango-Ouray and Beartooth pass (wyoming) , Glacier park (Montana and Canada) and up to Calgary and Lake Louise . New this forum so not sure how contact is made but my email is bcblades52@gmail.com Looking for riding partners from this area or any part of the ride. I ride a 2012 Road Glide and would be happy to have the company. Contact me for more details if your interested.

If I could make a suggestion, I would say skip the Durango-Ouray area and make more time for the Calgary area. Colorado can get gotten to in a day, but Calgary can't and it is amazing up there and well worth the extra day you would gain.

Also, welcome to the forum! I think you will like it here. :)

If I could make a suggestion, I would say skip the Durango-Ouray area and make more time for the Calgary area. Colorado can get gotten to in a day, but Calgary can't and it is amazing up there and well worth the extra day you would gain.

Also, welcome to the forum! I think you will like it here. :)
I really don't have a strict timetable so will take my time and try to see most. Thanks for suggestions.

Just my $.02 on a possible route.

From Springer NM head over to Eagle Nest, then to the Vietnam Veterans memorial at Angel Fire (the best in the nation in my opinion), then on to Taos, Chama, Pagosa Springs, and over to Durango.

Springer.png

From Ouray up to Grand Junction and run the Colorado National Monument clockwise which will bring you out by Fruita. Then you can head to the Grand Tetons / Yellowstone / Beartooth before you turn toward Glacier.

CO NM.png

If you don't mind a detour on the way to Grand Junction, take 50 eastbound from Montrose and then circle back around.

Grand Junc.png

Last edited:
Ridgeway is an amazing little town with a local brew pub & great food. There's an interesting display of narrow gauge railroad cars and the Grammy statues are made there too!

Welcome Blades. Texas T is on the money with his trip suggestion. I always like to ride and may join you for a portion of the trip. Being in New Mexico I am very familiar with the NM and Colorado part of your trip.

Last edited:
I'm going the other direction in June. My plan is to go Quebec, Newfoundland, and Labrador. My plan is to take a full month to do it (maybe 5 weeks).

Wow, sounds great. I am very envious of the parts near Calgary. I was not able to enter Canada on my trip in summer of 2020, but here was my itinerary (shipped the bike to Tacoma to start). I would highly recommend the Flaming Gorge, Beartooth, Going to the Sun, Grand Mesa & Gunnison. If you have more time, you can find alot more, I'm sure. The one area I will skip next time in Yellowstone & Jackson Hole. Nice places, but too many tourists and more to see elsewhere. Even solo, this was fun.

StopDistanceDetails
Sequim, WA120Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP
Omak, WA390North Cascades NP, Omak to Oroville and back to Omak.
Kalispell, MT380Follow 20
Great Falls, MT280Glacier NP, Going to the sun road
Red Lodge, MT280Lewis & Clark NF (nice surprise!), Interstate Livington to Columbus, HW 78 into Red Lodge
Jackson Hole, WY230Beartooth Pass to Tower Junction. Yellowstone, Tetons.
Grand Junction426Via Flaming Gorge
Walsenburg, CO342Grand Mesa, Gunnison
Dallas620Freeway, Raton Pass, slab and more slab. Long day

I would highly recommend the Flaming Gorge, Beartooth, Going to the Sun, Grand Mesa & Gunnison.
+1 on all of that. One caution though... don't ride north of Flaming Gorge after dark. I was doing a certified ride on the way to Canada and I passed through this area about 8 pm. I was down to about 35-40 mph for miles due to all the deer and elk. I came around one curve and Bambi was standing in the middle of my lane. I came to a full stop about 20 feet away and waited until she got tired of looking at me and walked away. I've ridden the White Mountains of AZ, the Hill country of Texas, and other areas heavily populated with deer and/or elk and I've never seen as many as I did that night. I finally made it to Rock Springs WY and called it a day. You can always try for a certificate on another day, but only if you're alive to do so.

So I have 2 questions. How long have you got? What is your planned time in Calgary area?

There is a huge amount of riding and ground to cover in the Calgary area. I lived there 30+ years. Camping? Hotels? You have everything from the Badlands by Drumheller (Dinosaurs, horse shoe canyon) to Lake Louise. I have 2 or 3 multi day loops that pull in Southern Alberta and British Columbia.

Slip it for arrival into early July and you can do the **** show that is the Stampede.

Part of what you need to scope out is long distances and slow highways. Speed limits are 60-70 mph.

I was trying to put together a road trip in the Subie from here to Vancouver Island then over to Calgary then back to the Big D. Timing just didn't work. I considered the bike but was crossing too many high mountain passes.

Good point too. Take cold weather gear. The coldest ride ever was over the Rogers Pass in August. In June there will still be snow, or last remnants in the high mountains up there. The Icefields (Bow Valley Parkway) is still way cold. My X and I froze our butts off there one July.

So I have 2 questions. How long have you got? What is your planned time in Calgary area?

There is a huge amount of riding and ground to cover in the Calgary area. I lived there 30+ years. Camping? Hotels? You have everything from the Badlands by Drumheller (Dinosaurs, horse shoe canyon) to Lake Louise. I have 2 or 3 multi day loops that pull in Southern Alberta and British Columbia.

Slip it for arrival into early July and you can do the **** show that is the Stampede.

Part of what you need to scope out is long distances and slow highways. Speed limits are 60-70 mph.

I was trying to put together a road trip in the Subie from here to Vancouver Island then over to Calgary then back to the Big D. Timing just didn't work. I considered the bike but was crossing too many high mountain passes.

Good point too. Take cold weather gear. The coldest ride ever was over the Rogers Pass in August. In June there will still be snow, or last remnants in the high mountains up there. The Icefields (Bow Valley Parkway) is still way cold. My X and I froze our butts off there one July.
I have the time needed (retired) so no hurry for me. Have not fixed a specific time to Calgary but thinking 3 days. Spent 2 weeks in the high altitudes of Colorado a couple of years ago and learned the hard way of the cold in June (afternoons were great).

I would suggest crossing around Bonners Ferry, up to Radium, Icefields parkway, then loop back down Highway 22 back to Calgary. 22 is boring but the mountains to the west look amazing is it's clear. That's like 3-4 days, it will be chilly but stunning. That winds through the high mountains, then head south along the west side with among the best scenery on the planet. It also avoids major centers, west of that you hit Kelowna (is horrific) and Kamloops which is beautiful but a traffic nightmare. East of 22 is prairie. Oh but there is a (well was a single lane paved road once upon a time) that loops in behind Kelowna and avoids traffic from the Kimberly side.

Kananaskis country and the other areas west of Calgary are amazing.

I guess that is more BC than Alberta! Haha

As of April 1 I do believe no Covid required for entry if you are vaccinated.

As of April 1 I do believe no Covid required for entry if you are vaccinated.
That is correct. I am planning a trip to Ontario, Quebec, and Labrador and have been following the status of crossing quite closely. As of next week-ish, you won't need a Covid test if you are fully vaccinated. What I haven't quite put my finger on is what that exactly means. Two shots, plus boosters, or two shots (or one for J&J)... The wording around that from the Canadian sites I've been reading haven't quite explained that part yet. One of the folks I have been talking with that has considered joining us has two shots, but no booster and so we're trying to sort out if that covers him or not.

I'm headed to Vancouver Island the first week of May so I'm pretty pleased about the changes. I didn't pick out anything from the official announcement that required boosters.

Following this thread, I normally take my big rides the end of May Begining June. Havent decided where to yet. Last year rode up to the Canadian border through Wyoming and Montana. seen Devils Tower, tried to see the medicine wheel in Wyoming but it was covered with snow in June.

Back