• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta

masterblaster

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Not feeling like I want to get on a plane these days, family getting two condos down in PV, I am thinking about heading down on my 1290 SAR, any specifics I should be aware of? Any pointers would be welcome. I plan to go straight according to google maps as I will be by myself.

Passport
Registration
Special insurance
anything else?

What an awesome sounding trip! Can't help you on advise but hope you post the journey.

to continue..... it is interesting that from a safety perspective you feel crossing Mexico solo on a motorcycle is statistically safer than fly on a plane. I believe you'll be crossing some pretty sketchy areas of Mexico to get there.

I've never felt unsafe anywhere in Latin America, I lived in El Paso twice and spent a lot of time in Juarez, never had an issue. No problem with plane safety at all, just don't want to wear a mask and show vaccine papers to travel, I simply refuse. Ive never crossed that area so it might be a bit sketchy, we will see, it will be a journey for sure, I've spent a lot more time in (South) Latin America than Mexico so it's gonna be good, looking forward to the fishing.

to continue..... it is interesting that from a safety perspective you feel crossing Mexico solo on a motorcycle is statistically safer than fly on a plane. I believe you'll be crossing some pretty sketchy areas of Mexico to get there.

Last edited:
From previous MexTrek experience 3 years ago:

Arrange motorcycle/rider insurance online prior to departure. Bajabound.com is quite popular. Apparently rider medical coverage is separate insurance now.

Overnight here in mission:

Exchange money here:

Depending on when you arrive process your tourist pass and temporary vehicle import permit that evening or the next morning at Anzalduas border crossing.

10 minute ride from shary bungalows. Newer facilities and not crowded (this was 3 years ago tho). Can be done at consulate or online, but this seems to still be the most efficient. Go for the 6 month option, not that much more expensive and worth peace of mind and no time pressure to cross border in 10 days.

That is what I experienced. Enjoy!

Back