• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Planning Colorado dual sport trip: Looking for wagon wheel trails/routes from 2-3 locations

jsb

Reaction score
5-6 days of riding in early Sept. Intend to stay in 2-3 locations with 2-3 days of riding wagon wheeling from each location.
Medium ability riders. Going back to conquer the loose rocks on Ophir Pass (SW CO). Probably not attempting Black Bear Pass. Maybe Devil's Punch Bowl route. We did at least Cinnamon, Engineering, and Cumberland Passes a couple years ago on an old Transalp and CRF250L. On a Husky 501 and KTM 690 this time. I'd really like to mix in some easy single track. No hard enduro stuff.
Any suggestions are welcome. TIA.

Wilson mesa trail near Telluride is the mildest single track that I know of (in Colorado). Very enjoyable ride but you basically ride to the end and turn around to come back (or hit gravel). Much of the southern portion of cobdr is scenic and not overly taxing. Most single track in the mountains is more technical than a lot of folks want to get into. Mild isn't how the trail keepers layed it out. Another site that is totally different is Peach valley just north of Montrose. Another unique area is Hartman rocks near Gunnison. All of these are huge fun and not likely to get anybody hurt.

Last edited:
There is some very mellow dirt roads just North West of Ridgway that goes through the Uncompahgre National Forest then we looped down to Gateway and back on 143. It was like being able to ride a paved road through the middle of a miniature Grand Canyon, truly beautiful.

Have been to most of the hotspots and since the early 80s we have frequently gotten a room at the Old Town Inn in Crested Butte or a condo up on the Mtn. There is an ample supply of excellent jeep roads in a full circle around CB that will lead you almost anywhere you want to explore. Salida, Lake City, Ouray, Telluride, Silverton, Pitkin, Marble, Taylor Park and Tincup all make great loops that can be tailored to your needs. For what you describe I can't think of a better hub. It is close to Gunnison if you need bike help and the groceries/restaurant choices in CB are very excellent and varied. With the riding miles available, a great breakfast, shower and dinner at night really makes for an enjoyable trip.

In the ouray area, corkscrew gulch is easy B level mountain pass stuff.
It's a nice ride from ouray to silverton for lunch, via corkscrew.

btw...have any of you CO regulars ridden Thunder trails , in norwood ?

Reactions: jsb
I just got back a week ago. I brought the KTM 890 and the KTM 500. Stayed the first week in Silverton, did the Alpine Loop, Engineers Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Black Bear over to Telluride &, Imogene Pass back, etc. Then moved to Gunnison for the next week. Rode move single track around Gunnison and Crested Bute. Beautiful, cool and very challenging riding. Breathing at 10,000' is much harder than you can imagine.

Silverton is a good place to start. The Alpine loop to Lake City and back is a good full day of riding. Animas Forks, and several gulches off co. road 2, to adventure up. Cinnamon pass and Engineers Pass are both beginners level passes.

I just got back a week ago. I brought the KTM 890 and the KTM 500. Stayed the first week in Silverton, did the Alpine Loop, Engineers Pass, Cinnamon Pass, Corkscrew Pass, Black Bear over to Telluride &, Imogene Pass back, etc. Then moved to Gunnison for the next week. Rode move single track around Gunnison and Crested Bute. Beautiful, cool and very challenging riding. Breathing at 10,000' is much harder than you can imagine.

Silverton is a good place to start. The Alpine loop to Lake City and back is a good full day of riding. Animas Forks, and several gulches off co. road 2, to adventure up. Cinnamon pass and Engineers Pass are both beginners level passes.
:thumb: Excellent info. Is Silverton enforcing plates while in town now?

@His & Hers Double Twins, where do recommend staying in Silverton? Hotel/motel shopping now. Dirty guys with loud bikes (and the reverse) and don't want to soil someone's nice little hotel.

Silverton & Crested Butte lodging set. A few days at each.
Where is the grand GPX file repository of unpaved roads in CO, 50" trails, and single track trails? I can't find but bits & pieces and the TAT, BDR, & CDR/T.
I have the COTREX app and paper map & books

Go to Funtreks https://funtreks.com/
You can get a package with maps and GPX file SD card combo.

In Silverton (or Ouray) there several motels to stay at all good, prices are all over the place pending on how many stars. Good food and specially shops. You want find a Wal Mart without going down to Durango. Shopping, eating and motels are all in town and walking distance from everything. Off-road riding is endless.....and all the passes and routes are in that book. Alpine Loop to Lake City and back, Animas Fork mining town, Imogene Pass, Ophir Pass, the scary Black Bear Pass, Engineers Pass and etc. Weeks of riding. Street legal is a huge plus, if not street legal you have to trailer or stay out of town and off all main roads. Colorado Off-road ATV/UTV pass is required, which you can get in town. Altitudes reaches up to 11,000-13,000 feet above sea level, and it can effect you if your not use to it. It also effects your bike, especially if not a EFI/ECU bike. Power drops off like a rock. Loose weight and exercise before you go. It's well worth it, riding the passes and the sights are amazing. Most all the passes are open for late June - Sept. Snow closes the passes the rest of the year. There is always snow on the tops even it August. Be careful

Thanks for all the info. I have a Fun Treks book & paper maps. And, a couple other books & maps. I'm considering maps from Latitude 40*, but the COTREX phone app may be enough 50" - single track trail info combined with scouting by YouTube videos. I downloaded GPX files from Fun Treks, Gravel Maps, and All Trails in addition to a here & there collection. Now, to attempt piecing together daily routes.
We'll be on dual sports with EFI.

Last edited:
The Latitude 40 maps are a plethora of information. Great for the 'big picture' info.

You could try this:

Am currently in Colorado, I took my 690 to Hartman rocks near Gunnison, but, i don't think I was ready for it, it was also raining a little, did the last dollar trail near Telluride, Is a very nice gravel road with lots of views, it was the perfect Sunday drive, tomorrow am going to check out peach valley near Montrose tomorrow, also there is a place that I really enjoy is called sapinero mesa rd.is between Gunnison and lake city about 30 miles from Gunnison, nice spots for disperse camping and and pretty much endless trails mostly rocks and sand

Here's a nice easy ride that you might enjoy. Not technical, and pretty scenic.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• E002 Montrose to Ouray via Owl Creek (74).gpx
    169.6 KB · Views: 111
I will check out owl creek , last year I did cinnamon and engineer pass, they were very busy with lots of ATV 's and 4x4 ' but still a nice and not to complected This year I started the journey a little bit to hard core and got myself into a little incident, nothing serious, but just feeling grateful that I can still ride my bike and explore, and at the same time been mindful that there's an ankle recovery taking place.

Much as I admire the 690, a lot of stuff in the mountains isn't friendly to heavier motorcycles. I ride an 1190 partly and find many situations where turning around is frustrating but the better part of valor...and in the interest of good health. Stay safe and have a great ride.

Is sapinero mesa rd the same as Owl Creek - Cimarron Rd (Trail 858; COTREX app) that passed by Silver Jack Reservoir?

Haven't gone to owl creek yet, but sapinero mesa rd is basically a very long gravel road with tons of off road trails that go off to the sides from the main gravel road, if you want to test your suspension on going on little ascending and descending over rocks, there's lots of that, ( no suitable for a stock crf300l ) t's a very large area,so I only had the chance to explore a fraction of it

Is sapinero mesa rd the same as Owl Creek - Cimarron Rd (Trail 858; COTREX app) that passed by Silver Jack Reservoir?
Yes, I believe so. Runs by on the East side of Silver Jack reservoir.

Just got back from peach valley in Montrose, if you like roller coaster ride then this is it, I think it's a little bit hard core, very loose dirt and nothing but dunes, definitely you will need very aggressive tires, my tkc 80's were struggling a little ,I went in for maybe less than a 1/2 mile just to taste the waters then turn around and that was the challenging part,finding my way out of the dunes labyrinth

Sapinero Mesa rd.runs off hwy 149 in between Gunnison and lake city, coming from Gunnison is on right hand side after 30 miles, owl creek pass is cr 8 off hwy 550 near Ridgeway, if you keep going on that same road after you get to owl creek (an actual creek) then you will reach Silver Jack res. I did that today, it was very nice

Back