• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pony Express idea, anyone?

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Jeanes
I’ve got a half formed idea for a riding game, so I wanted to lay out what I have and see if we could build something good.

Some Masonic lodges have what is called a “traveling gavel”. The way it works, is this:

Let’s say that Lodge #1 currently has the gavel. If a preset number of visitors from another lodge visits that lodge, they get to take the gavel. The gavel’s movements are usually tracked. I like that this promotes visitation (sometimes we just need an excuse to make the trip).

Also, I’ve always wanted to do some kind of motorcycle activity that would pay homage to those brave souls that rode for the Pony Express. I’ve had ideas like fundraisers that would allow supporters to “mail” a letter to somebody for a nice donation and have a person ride out with the letter and get it to its destination either by relay or a fun yet grueling personal trip.

I can think of a lot of ways to mix these ideas, but here is my favorite.

If a designated person were to choose points A and B (we’ll use Galveston and Denton) and a second person the item to be carried (i.e. a potted plant, a sombrero, etc.), the rest of us could bid on carrying the item (example: Joe takes it to North Houston from Galveston where he meets Sarah, who in turn takes it to meet Ray in Huntsville and so forth).

I like the idea of the item being a bit unwieldy as it adds another element (how messed up does it get in transit, can you get it there damage free, that kind of thing). Before and after pics would be a must
Furthermore, I think better than A and B, would be a multi-leg (even multi-day) journey… add a theme for the meet up towns (China, Egypt, Holland, Italy, etc.) and I think we’re getting close to fun.

We could make little wooden coins (pony express dollars?) to give participants or with enough interest, just order commemorative coins from a dealer.

So, like I said, it’s a rough outline of an idea but I think if it got enough by-in from everyone, we could tweak it into something really fun. I hope you guys/gals see the potential for a great time, here. Let me know what you think…

I don't know how well the idea would work but if you have a more finished game plan you might could sell it better. More folks might be willing to get involved with a more concrete plan but are now holding back to see what develops before they commit to the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GL1800riders have a challenge going in which you have to move an item from the west coast to the east coast but you have to hit every state capital in the lower 48 while doing so. The east coasts folks have to do the reverse. The last time I checked it was west coast 12 states, east coast 1.

I will rough something up. For anyone who is waiting for something solid, I could still use some ideas. I'll try to drop something preliminary tonight.

Okay, how is this?

I'm going to go buy a cowboy hat. I'm going to write the names of 20 towns in Texas on it.

In order to gain a point, you must meet another forum member in/around one of the towns listed on the hat and pass the hat to that person.

I think a photo should be taken upon reciept of the hat and posted here. This way, we know where the hat is and who has it (also we can see how the hat is fairing). The new custodian of the hat will now need to meet and pass in order to gain a point.

After the hat has visited all of its destinations, points are tallied and the winner gets to choose the next block of destination and has the option of keeping the hat as a trophy and putting another item in play (again, I hope the item will be as "fun" to transport as a cowboy hat) or putting the previous item into play again.

Item custodians should be able to "decorate" the item within reason.

The hope is that this will give folks an excuse to meet each other and with enough interest, maybe we can make this into a reall competition.

My Ninja 250 forum does a game called the Golden Rule Rally. You have to meet other forum members and get a pic to get points and at the end of the year, the winner gets to choose the location of the national meet. It's a great way to meet folks without the logistic concerns of big groups.

Please provide some feedback folks. If you don't care for this plan, let's make another. The weather is getting good and it's time to go play!

Not really intended as a game but I made a list of Texas towns using the Rand McNally road map and picking the first town in each alphabetical section, then I started riding to each town, not all in order but in local clusters and taking a pic in front of the welcome sign or the city hall or some other place with the towns name on it. Lost all the pics and my list when my computer crashed. Guess I will just have to do it again : )
Tom

Just a suggestion;
something smaller than a cowboy hat might work a little better. Not everyone who wants to play will have panniers/luggage. A backpack also works, but the hat will become 'crushable'. ;-)

How about a Twt t-shirt intsead. Then you could get the signatures of everyone that had a hand on it

Maybe what we should do is like a geocache. Put said item in a container and hide it somewhere. Get the gps cords. Then who ever gets to it first can move it to the next location and post the new cords. To it. That would give everyone a chance to get it.

Maybe what we should do is like a geocache. Put said item in a container and hide it somewhere. Get the gps cords. Then who ever gets to it first can move it to the next location and post the new cords. To it. That would give everyone a chance to get it.

That cuts out the road warriors. :rider:

Before I discovered TWT, I was an active member on SportTouring.net. There was a mascot (a small chili pepper stuffed thing) that was simply passed from one member to another.
There was a thread to keep track of who had it. Photos of the transition were required with the change.
No minimum distance, no requirement on time held, nothing formal really.
The only requirement was that Chili only travel via motorcycle (he was scared of other forms of transport :trust: )

We tried a few years ago to get a mascot going for TWT with a similar theory, but it never happened.

I picked Chili up in College Station, and dropped him off in the Davids Mtns of Oklahoma.
I'll have to dig up some pics of the little runt.

Regardless, this sounds like a fun project, count me in.

Okay, how is this?

I'm going to go buy a cowboy hat. I'm going to write the names of 20 towns in Texas on it.

Very interested in something like this..

I get to meet some (new to me) members, gives me an excuse to ride the bike, gives me a destination to ride, and gives me something to do on my days off (Mon-Wed)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kidrobot-Yummy-Blueberry-Pie-Plush/dp/B006TVP1AS/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1335548548&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Kidrobot Yummy Blueberry Pie Plush: Toys & Games[/ame]

BlueberryPie.jpg

Hadn't checked on this post in a while...

Addressing the with the "crushability" hat, that is part of the point. Unwieldy enough that it is a pain but small enough not to be a danger makes me laugh on the inside and the outside.

That pie with a face (while disconcerting) is a great idea, I think!

Would any of you care to panhandle a little and see if we can get a little more initial interest. I think people will join in as we go, but to start, if it is just me and another person meeting up every 3 days to give a face-pie to one another, that might get lame...

If we can get 5 people to join this thread (post stating that they are in), I will buy the first item and start it on it's way...

Like I said, I think folks will passively join as we start posting pics of the exchanges...

Back