• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post a pic of your bike (Bandit 1250S peeps)

I've been waiting for entire pics for your bike! Looks superb...Very clean and refined for sure!

Great looking Bandit. Mine didn't look that good coming off the showroom floor and has progressively degraded in clean looks. ;-)

looks better after moving the VR;-)
rworm

Hi Robert.

Ya, like I said before, I knew once I added that new cover for the TPS/IAP sensors that I was going to have to rearrange something. I also made up a new set of upper throttle body trim plates and then cut through the powder coating on them and all the rest of the parts you see with a 3/16" diameter ball end mill x .015 depth to expose the silver aluminum, and I really like the way it came out.

I think I'm going to cut a 1/16" thick piece aluminum plate that follows the shape of the flat section on the new FA sprocket cover just to break up the black a little, and after polishing it, attach it to the specket cover with some of my 3M very high bond double sided tape I have. :rider:

This is my first attempt at attaching a photo so I am not sure how it will turn out.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 313
This is my first attempt at attaching a photo so I am not sure how it will turn out.

Egads! A Norton Fastback Commando in Red. Fiberglass tank and all.
acand69750fastbackNorton.jpg

Me and my '69 750 Fastback in about '70 I think. Only problems I had with it were; Main jets vibrating off into the bottom of the float bowel once in awhile; transmission spitting some teeth off second gear right though the bottom of the gearbox; frame breaking completely in two at the back bone and just the cracked down tubes holding the front to the rest of the bike. Very interesting moment coming off I-10 at speed , grabbing front brakes and seeing the neck moving from the gas tank. :eek2:
But, still would love to have that bike today, really fun ride. I did over 30,000 miles on it in a couple years.

Here's a few more.

Top of Dante's View, Death Valley CA.
IMG_0703RS.jpg

Hwy 395, looking south towards Mono Lake and Lee Vining
PatriciasTrips008-1.jpg

Hwy 395, about 2 miles south of Bridgeport CA.
PatriciasTrips007-1.jpg

Heading up into the High Sierra's west of Bishop CA.
FourthofJuly2009RidetoBishop1.jpg

Heading up into the High Sierra's west of Bishop CA.
FourthofJuly2009RidetoBishop3.jpg

Sabrina Lake CA, 9,128 Ft.
616BishopTrip010.jpg

At the East entrance of Yosemite Nat Park CA, and it's starting to snow. 9945 Ft.
MarshsBishopTrip12.jpg

That Sabrina Lake CA picture is stunning with the clear blue water......Looking at those empty long roads when you're heading towards the High Sierra's seems like it is urging you to really twist the throttle.

Great pictures! Loved that area when going through there in '07 on my DL1000. Course, stay away from the big cities, and , there is a lot of California to love seeing.

No it is very rarely ridden now - 1, getting too old to kick start the beast 2. it has a right foot gear change which is up for down and down for up which I now find confusing. I start it up every so often and give it a run around the block until the engine gets up to operating temperature. It is still in the same condition as it was after the rebuild. I like to sit with cigarette and beer in hand and admire it.

I rebuilt it back in the early 90s. I bought it after a fire went through it and you can see the end result. It is a 1974 850cc Roadster. As you can see there are some changes from standard ie fastback rear, What is not so noticable are the changes to the front end courtesy of Honda, yamaha, Suzuli and kawasaki. The complete twin disc front end can be removed and the original Norton front end in approximately 2 hours as nothing Norton has been modified.

No it is very rarely ridden now - 1, getting too old to kick start the beast 2. it has a right foot gear change which is up for down and down for up which I now find confusing. I start it up every so often and give it a run around the block until the engine gets up to operating temperature. It is still in the same condition as it was after the rebuild. I like to sit with cigarette and beer in hand and admire it.

I rebuilt it back in the early 90s. I bought it after a fire went through it and you can see the end result. It is a 1974 850cc Roadster. As you can see there are some changes from standard ie fastback rear, What is not so noticable are the changes to the front end courtesy of Honda, yamaha, Suzuli and kawasaki. The complete twin disc front end can be removed and the original Norton front end in approximately 2 hours as nothing Norton has been modified.

Very good job on the restore, I had notice the disks in the front as was wondering what you used. Now I know. Yes on the old shift pattern. I had a few BSA's that were the same way. Then a Triumph that was different also. Really had to think of what bike I was on. But, the Norton was the last English bike I had. Went Jap, Spanish ( Bultaco ) and German then back to Jap after that.

I've done a lot more mods and detailing on my Bandit since I posted up the last pics, and here are a few I took of my new muffler hanger bracket that I installed this afternoon, which I designed and fabricated this last week.

I drew the bracket up in Inventor using an existing part drawing from my billet brackets, so it was very easy to design it up using steel tubing. I made up a nice heavy duty fixture to hold all of the parts for welding which worked great and kept all the pieces perfectly aligned.

It's supper strong with 5/8" OD x .093 wall steel tubing, with the lower tube member being a piece of 1" OD x 1/8" wall tubing, and stepped aluminum washers to center the mounting bolt to keep the weight to a minimum.

I also made a special clamp block and fixture for holding the two tube members while I machined the radius's on the ends of the tubes which also kept both radius's aligned to each other. I also made up a trim plate to cover up the mounting brackets to match the trim plate on the left side passenger peg mounting tabs.

It was TIG welded and I powder coated it this morning, and I'm really pleased with how it came out. I screwed up and milled the middle groove slightly out of location as I was tired when I was milling the grooves, so next week when I powder coat some more parts I'll pull the trim plate off and strip it and powder coat it and mill the grooves again on the back side. It also funny how the grooves look about twice as wide in the pictures than they are. :D

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/hoggone/Bandit Parts/IMG_2935.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/hoggone/Bandit Parts/IMG_2937.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg136/hoggone/Bandit Parts/IMG_2931.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Clean lookin Scott...I like it:rider:
rworm

Thanks Robert.

Its supper strong and the tubes are 5/8" diameter x .093 wall steel tubing and I used a piece of 1" OD x 1/8" wall tubing for the lower sleeve that the tubes are welded to and stepped aluminum washers to center the mounting bolt so the hanger is also very light.

I went with keeping the two tubes spaced apart slightly as I think it looks better than bringing them both to a single point which a lot of hangers made with tubing do, and I think it also make the bracket stronger in doing so, and it makes it a lot easier to fit the whole thing together and weld it. :rider:

Ok Mr. Custom.....

That looks really cool. Nice work as usual.

You should now come up with a way to mount the slip-on in the high position giving a high-pipe look rather than down low in the stock position. It would be cool to see the wheel open from both sides.

I expect a solution by the end of October. :rider: :)

Ok Mr. Custom.....

That looks really cool. Nice work as usual.

You should now come up with a way to mount the slip-on in the high position giving a high-pipe look rather than down low in the stock position. It would be cool to see the wheel open from both sides.

I expect a solution by the end of October. :rider: :)

Phil,

You won't have to wait that long.

The angle of my pipe is pretty much set by the stock mid pipe I gutted off of a stock muffler for use with my Super Trapp muffler, and personally I like the way the muffler sits.

My custom midpipe and ST muffler required the hole in the hanger bracket that the muffler strap attaches to, to be positioned about 3/4" farther back and a little higher up than the stock bracket.

I've already gone ahead and drawn up another bracket that will duplicate the stock bracket geometry, and this will allow the muffler to be mounted higher. I've also drawn up a matching passenger peg bracket for the left side and I'm also going to add a passenger peg mount to the muffler hanger bracket also to see how that will look. :rider:

Phil,

You won't have to wait that long.

The angle of my pipe is pretty much set by the stock mid pipe I gutted off of a stock muffler for use with my Super Trapp muffler, and personally I like the way the muffler sits.

My custom midpipe and ST muffler required the hole in the hanger bracket that the muffler strap attaches to, to be positioned about 3/4" farther back and a little higher up than the stock bracket.

I've already gone ahead and drawn up another bracket that will duplicate the stock bracket geometry, and this will allow the muffler to be mounted higher. I've also drawn up a matching passenger peg bracket for the left side and I'm also going to add a passenger peg mount to the muffler hanger bracket also to see how that will look. :rider:

I was hoping for this......

M_Matejsek1_600.jpg

I was hoping for this......

M_Matejsek1_600.jpg

Phil,

No muffler hanger bracket no matter how it's designed is going to allow you to adjust and mount any after market muffler and have it positioned like this on the Bandit, as this would require a whole new mid pipe to get it in that position, and seeing as how I have never seen an after market exhaust with a mid pipe like this for the Bandit, it appears that your going to have to keep on hoping. :trust:

Back