• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

EAST TX: Post Christmas DS ride 12/26

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Friday
I just found out I have tomorrow off. Weather looks to be great. Think I’m going to wander towards Crockett and explore back roads. Will include some sand, but nothing horrible. If you want to tag along, meet me at the Smileys Shell station at FMs 247/980 on North side of Houston Thursday morning.

Kickstands up at 9:30am.

Might be 150-200 miles... or so.

In Kansas.... I’ll be back in Texas this evening on the other side of the state.

I wish, gotta go to work..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Weather is PERFECT!!

Doing lunch at Moosehead Cafe in Crockett.

IMG_4620.JPG

I haven't even recieved an email since midday Monday.
I'm working a parts counter at a dealership collision center, we're just barely poking along. Half of the techs are out, likewise 2/3rds of the estimators.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Epic ride today! We explored some new roads. There was a LOT of sand, but the conditions were so good that most of the time it was a non issue. That said, there were some deep sections! We also encountered a freshly graded road, then a HUGE dump truck dumping that massive sized gravel aggregate on the sandy road, and a grader sitting on the other side of the pile waiting to spread it. He got the pile mostly knocked down and then let us ride over it. That was interesting! Then more loose sand! Some of the new roads were up around Houston County Lake (West of Crockett). Those roads were a real treat! Of course this whole route could EASILY be a nightmare if it were wet... :eek2: I think we knocked out around 225 miles from where I started back to my house. Joe has another 35-40 miles on each end, so a full day for him!

I am not sure if I will have a good GPX track or not. It looked like the GPS kept dropping the track, then tracking for a while, then stopping, etc,... If it didn't capture it all, I will try to rebuild it from memory if I can.

Yes indeed! Epic Ride! 303 miles for me today. I did make it back through the forest from 1374 and then down the NF road to Calvary Rd. I should have started down a little earlier, it was almost dark when I finally made pavement, there were two deer there waiting. Fortunately, we saw each other in time and avoid any mishaps. I'll post up my tracks when I get the GPS off the bike. I think they will be pretty good, didn't have any malfunctions. The little bit of sand we had wasn't bad, but it kept me awake! :) And always good to visit the Moosehead Cafe. I will also try to get my pictures posted.

I don't know how many of you have followed Scott on one of his rides, but he basically has two types of rides. 1) stop and smell the roses, take lots of pictures and have plenty to share, or 2) hold on to the handlebars and if you manage to get your phone/camera out to snap a few photos, consider yourself lucky. This ride was the latter type. :) If you notice, the first picture is kinda a "are you done yet?" type of photo. But as Scott said it was a fantastic ride, weather was perfect, great lunch and conversation, just got home a little late.

My Pictures:
I0HJh1fMGN651SrBjGnf_BWbHgr9NLV6iqy0A=w847-h635-no.jpg

ZCtfkqzSewcVrw9G5ceC2BcHUDu89CJYKI0yQ=w847-h635-no.jpg

zejyLRWpHn0q9I3NyeOfc8oZfkv28ax2kCq7w=w847-h635-no.jpg

_9ad5GLHVMFQJli1kITPDhb4Gli15KERu1s5g=w847-h635-no.jpg

_b2L-CNlTaE9czSuvgbqvXz-EQlMTz6hHefuA=w847-h635-no.jpg

ZxGZ8ZRcy2FlJ38vsoNYF9VTycjkkIfuHgrfg=w847-h635-no.jpg

dg6ngV_Gcf4jv_urzp_Ie_1pI6SZ5v4Cm_Pqg=w847-h635-no.jpg

RJHyUpTk5Iuo27NUVO7drv64iJs0z9zsQweIw=w847-h635-no.jpg

Scott, here are the tracks I captured. I removed all the extraneous stuff we visited at the end and just looped it back to where we started.

GPX viewer

Attachments

• 2019AfterChristmas.gpx
    545.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 2019AfterChristmas.gdb
    81.4 KB · Views: 222
I don't know how many of you have followed Scott on one of his rides, but he basically has two types of rides. 1) stop and smell the roses, take lots of pictures and have plenty to share, or 2) hold on to the handlebars and if you manage to get your phone/camera out to snap a few photos, consider yourself lucky. This ride was the latter type. :) If you notice, the first picture is kinda a "are you done yet?" type of photo.

Daniel and I were talking about how cool it would be to have an artificial eye that could capture stills and videos while riding. So often I come over a hill or around a corner and think, "Perfect pic!" But then I keep going because I am having fun and don't want to stop and mess up my "groove" :-P Today was a definite "groove" day!! :rider:

Video everything with a 4k camera and then use your video editing software to make stills from the video. I do that to "capture" action pics from my son's bball games.

Thanks for giving the tracks. I'm off tomorrow, may check them out.

Back