• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post Christmas in Big Bend

Reaction score
First Name
David
For the last several years a group of us have traveled to Big Bend around the Holidays and we will do that again this year.

This is a very informal sort of come and go sort of gathering.

This year I plan on arriving Dec 29 and staying through January 9th. I'm camping (well RVing), but there is a hotel at the same location too.

We stay at the Big Bend resort and adventures. They have a good location, but are hard to reach by phone. Their office is number is (432)371-2218 and their toll free reservation number is (877)386-4383. But there are other options for places to stay in the area too. This is just where we stay because we have stayed there for years.

If you're planning to be in the area after Christmas, post up and let us know...

Hey @Dahveed thanks for putting this up for others to join. I will miss your dates but a couple of us may be out there Jan 9-12. Y'all have fun.

Anyone going to Big Bend at Christmas? My dates are open and would like to meet other riders there.

Anyone going to Big Bend at Christmas? My dates are open and would like to meet other riders there.
Rachel and I are still up in the air right now. We spent 2 weeks there last Christmas so this year it might be time for something else. We will know here in a few weeks.

I should get there about 16th Jan - staying for 1? week at the Big Bend Resort, look out
for a toy Hauler with NJ plates, this is my 3rd trip out there.

Then heading to the State Park and staying at Loma Paloma

Stop by and say hello - cold one always in the fridge

I'm seeing a chiropractor twice a week and actively shopping for a bike.

Bikes are HARD to find these days at decent prices. Been looking for six months. Awesome time of the year to be at BB.
Apparently Mitch's Chiropractor has an inside line on some good used ones. That is why he is seeing them 2x a week... :lol2:

Yes, used vehicles are tough now. And you would think in fall is a good time to buy one.

This is my year to work holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) and I have a range qualification on Jan 6. Wish I could just to get away, would be OK with just being there even if I didn't ride. We're understaffed, have no idea what it looks like in 2022 for vacation approvals. Gotta love LE.

This is my year to work holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years) and I have a range qualification on Jan 6. Wish I could just to get away, would be OK with just being there even if I didn't ride. We're understaffed, have no idea what it looks like in 2022 for vacation approvals. Gotta love LE.
Sorry to hear that, @Not Dave. I enjoyed riding with you and the rest of @Dahveed's Thanksgiving 2019 crew.

I see you live in Coupland. I love going to the dancehall there and the steaks aren't half bad either.

I need to wait till it warms enough to camp due to the economics of hotels. Otherwise I'd come down and ride a couple days. I just got back from a 5 day ride last week and the weather was great. The deer on the roads getting down there is another story. Took out a new BMW car that had passed me 1/2 hour earlier past Llano. I was going 55 mph out of sheer terror I'd get jumped on, and he passed me at 75. Eat more deer all of you.

Hang in there, Dave!

Hope to hang out with you again at some point, somewhere, sometime!

I need to wait till it warms enough to camp due to the economics of hotels. Otherwise I'd come down and ride a couple days. I just got back from a 5 day ride last week and the weather was great. The deer on the roads getting down there is another story. Took out a new BMW car that had passed me 1/2 hour earlier past Llano. I was going 55 mph out of sheer terror I'd get jumped on, and he passed me at 75. Eat more deer all of you.
Ed, depending on how the weather goes it is very campable down there over New Years. I've tent camped down there a ton and on good weather years the lows are in the 40's which is about perfect for me to tent camp. Sure it can be drastically different sometimes but you really just never know until about a week out.

First week in Jan is looking good.
Screenshot_20211125-091926_AccuWeather.jpg

Thank you for keeping us safe.

It’s can be great camping down there at that time. Remember, it’s a dry cool (unless it’s snowing). And its the aoudads you have to worry about. I got the last mule deer a few years back. 🤪

Back