• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post-Christmas walkabout...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Buddy of mine and I went out for a post-Christmas walkabout last night just to kill time and see what we could come up with. Here's a few from the afternoon/evening.

Ghost Town / Manor, TX
We ran over to Manor in the somewhat rain/drizzle to poke around. Not seeing anyone there, we walked around the grounds a bit and Eric was asking a bunch of questions. (he's new to all this) So I gave him a 90min tutorial on setting up shots, off-camera/remote flash and such.

i-wRFHQ4m-XL.jpg

(single speedlight with an umbrella/cactus trigger)

i-nMn39dR-XL.jpg

(single speedlight with an umbrella held high over the stove/cactus trigger)

i-8fzBrnh-XL.jpg

(in the jail a single bare speedlight on the floor pointing to the ceiling/cactus trigger and a VALS with a single speedlight/cactus trigger on the larger building)

We wound up eating at Cafe290 in Manor while a rain band moved past, then headed back into Austin.

Downtown Austin Capitol complex
i-Px4XKNS-XL.jpg

(all natural light/handheld)

Bullock Museum
i-R6r8hs6-XL.jpg

South side of the Capitol
i-QgSFvPz-XL.jpg

The Boardwalk
i-DSsGhXk-XL.jpg

(all natural light/tripod)

Overall, a wonderful way to kill time with minimal gear

Last edited:
I think you night pictures are always very nice!

For that stove shot, I would like it in Sepia better. Can't change it but the stove itself bothers me a bit - it has a new fangled safety handle that totally undoes the image of a forgotten time and brings it into today and its codes. But it is what it is.

Not a complaint, just a wish.

Keep it coming.

For that stove shot, I would like it in Sepia better. Can't change it but the stove itself bothers me a bit - it has a new fangled safety handle that totally undoes the image of a forgotten time and brings it into today and its codes. But it is what it is.

Not a complaint, just a wish.

Keep it coming.

Yeah, when I shot it I saw that metal label and it took away some of the 'cool' factor for me. So not being good at fixing stuff, I at least tried. :-)

i-vVvxFFq-XL.jpg

A nice cast iron stove next to a window pane surrounding by snow would have extra meaning today as the cold sets in. Those guys in West Texas are feeling it.

Saw your capital pic on FB and just found this thread. Very nice Scott. Of course Manor Ghost Town is about 15 minutes south of us, been by it countless times. The folks that run it are very community oriented I believe. That was a good time to go, it was a "ghost town".

Overall I like 'em all. Thanks for sharing. In fact I forwarded a couple of your FB pictures to my sister in law after she saw your capital shot and loved it. She photogs for a living in San Antonio. That's a place I'd love to shoot also.

Back