• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

If you ride that area on a Monday again, give me shout and I'll join you.

I'm sorry it was on Sunday wen I rode out there but I'm thinking about doing afternoon rides that way. I lived in stockdale ten years ago and lots of dirt roads that take u all over looking to explore more roads I haven't bin on trying to make a good loop out that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the new upgrade from standard issue KLR milk crate. Too many people complained that their doohickeys were coming out of the honeycomb sides of the milk crates. Lol

_

Lmao yep it's a pig feed bucket with custom green bungees with black Chrome hooks

Haven't Ben able to make my mind up wolfman soft bags or tusk aluminum boxes tuff decision

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Haven't Ben able to make my mind up wolfman soft bags or tusk aluminum boxes tuff decision

Soft bags don't hurt as bad if your leg gets caught under them in a get off ;-) Also, they don't weigh as much. Hard bags can be nice, but the KLR is already sprung soft in the rear. If you go with hard bags, you might also want to consider a rear spring upgrade to a slightly stiffer spring. The nice thing about them is they are relatively more secure than soft bags (in terms of anti-theft security).

I have the Wolfman soft bags on my Triumph Tiger. I love them. They have saved me from damage to the bike (and hard cases if I had them) many times.

Finally got to get out for a morning ride this morning on the orange bike. Left the house at 8:00 am and got back home around 1:00 pm. Had a lot of fun riding the Bastrop Trails and then Gotier Trace, St. Delight, Pine Tree Loop, Stockade Ranch Rd, and Paint Creek Rd. Last time I did the Trails, I was chasing Joel, Bwdmax, Jeepman, Green EggsnHam, and some notable or infamous others around. This time I was solo and couldn't remember all the places Joel took us, but I did manage to find and make it up Slippery Hill and some of the other areas. Trails were more eroded than I remember and were great fun. Saw a doe with a couple of fawns. Then I headed down Gotier Trace and had 3 fat does run across the road in front of me and shortly after that I spooked a Turkey that was on St. Delight Rd. She flew down the road in front of me at helmet level for about a quarter mile before veering off. That was way cool. Unfortunately, I only had my phone with me and was unable to get any animal pics. But, just to prove that I actually got out and rode today, here are a few iPhone shots...

Taking a break on the Bastrop Trails.

another view

Pine View Trail ( I think) Probably can't tell in this pic but there is a real pretty pond in background covered in blooming Lotus plants.

St. Andrews Lutheran Church at Paint Creek, don't think this congregation is interested in church growth programs.

I have the Wolfman soft bags on my Triumph Tiger. I love them. They have saved me from damage to the bike (and hard cases if I had them) many times.

That's the way I'm leaning towards. Now witch brand of crash bars are the best ?

JMZ

Finally got to get out for a morning ride this morning on the orange bike. Left the house at 8:00 am and got back home around 1:00 pm. Had a lot of fun riding the Bastrop Trails and then Gotier Trace, St. Delight, Pine Tree Loop, Stockade Ranch Rd, and Paint Creek Rd. Last time I did the Trails, I was chasing Joel, Bwdmax, Jeepman, Green EggsnHam, and some notable or infamous others around. This time I was solo and couldn't remember all the places Joel took us, but I did manage to find and make it up Slippery Hill and some of the other areas. Trails were more eroded than I remember and were great fun. Saw a doe with a couple of fawns. Then I headed down Gotier Trace and had 3 fat does run across the road in front of me and shortly after that I spooked a Turkey that was on St. Delight Rd. She flew down the road in front of me at helmet level for about a quarter mile before veering off. That was way cool. Unfortunately, I only had my phone with me and was unable to get any animal pics. But, just to prove that I actually got out and rode today, here are a few iPhone shots...

Taking a break on the Bastrop Trails.

another view

Pine View Trail ( I think) Probably can't tell in this pic but there is a real pretty pond in background covered in blooming Lotus plants.

St. Andrews Lutheran Church at Paint Creek, don't think this congregation is interested in church growth programs.

You mean this time ?

20150801_125222_zpsjdb9jrww.jpg

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
JT and I out running the back roads from Kerrville to Johnson City. Stopped at Fat Boy Burgers. Can recommend them. And then this...
b66790be1b0047e712c0cba22b8f6840.jpg

Hey, "That rider has no neck!"
9c032e851c20f2802ca224f3c3a54a0c.jpg

We'll be back on the roads in no time.
eff85b098e657fcc551c566117d03536.jpg

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
Last Sunday JT and i loaded the bikes up and took them to Junction. A friend had given JT some roads to try out.

Unloaded at Junction city park on the banks of the Llano river. Good staging place.

f0a5ed0bd09499a15f5a47010fabaaee.jpg

Abandoned house that captured both of our imaginations. What's this homestead's story? Where are the folks who lived and worked here? Love seeing architecture built to suit the climate. Thick rock walls and narrow windows keep the heat out in summer. Hold warmth in during winter.
57985fb2b8c63c16da8754639534961e.jpg

Naturally it's easier to grab a pic when the going is easy. This road did hold some fun sections.
b890b1fc5e77347e33c1f81c6f65ba06.jpg

This was taken just outside London. We gassed up in town and cooled off in the air conditioned store, guzzling gatorade and chomping granola bars.
89af8175f04a9353dba16a4162077f79.jpg

Had to stop and check out this very cool old Studebaker. It could be yours!
5e259819023913f2dfca2298ac40041a.jpg

No pix but did take a dip at a river xing somewhere along the way.

5322f9f7b3f179808541bcb41fe36b95.jpg

The ponies patiently wait for the next outing.
a501ab8363a0177eb491568c3164d599.jpg

Last edited:

SpiritAtBay

Forum Supporter
How are you liking the TTR250? Not too cramped?
Scott, We've been slowly modding the 250 to make her more comfy and long distance friendly. Raising the handle bars made a significant improvement, especially on trails.

I think you can see in the pix that i've added a couple of pads to the seat. the stock seat is a miserable piece of ah--"equipment". it will have to be upgraded at some point. ("Some point" being before MexTrek in October.)

The biggest drawback to this little bike so far is the lack of aftermarket accessories for it. Needed a tail rack. There are only 2 models available, so we fashioned our own. Need a windscreen, but will have to modify one meant for another bike.

But I love her sturdy reliability. Starts right up every single time and even re-started itself one time when i had stalled the engine during a (to me) gnarly down hill and had gotten sideways...the engine miraculously restarted, allowing me to get us straightened out and pointing properly down hill again.

I like the low first gear, allows me to mumble my way through some stuff. JT put on a larger rear sprocket and she now hums along at 60 quite easily.

thanks for asking!

FCBH

Forum Supporter
Summer day trip on my Fazer...

Looking down at the valley near Texas from the New Mexico border.

2cgin8j.jpg

Don't hike here without water or a personal location beacon like SPOT! This part of New Mexico is typical Chihuahuan Desert terrain: dry and rocky, with desert grasses, mesquite, Ocotillo, Saltbush, Yucca, and various species of cacti.

eram55.jpg

Dell City, Texas has a dirt road that is a considered a back-door entry into New Mexico.

2w6rjv4.jpg

Riding towards mile marker zero on the New Mexico side near the Texas border. It is very desolate until there was a New Mexico police car waiting at mile marker zero. :rofl:

2eej1ie.jpg

Key West, Texas :rider:

voq2w0.jpg

The metal object in the middle reminded me of the Star Trek IV episode. This movie involved a large metallic space probe that entered into orbit around Earth, disabled global power on the planet and evaporated the oceans.

2upe05s.jpg

On this trip there was ample moisture in the soil. The abundance of rain was a welcome relief compared to the drought conditions of recent years.

fdx8p5.jpg

...staring at the Texas border from the New Mexico side.

suyiq9.jpg

FCBH

Forum Supporter
Thanks Mark! I have several other pictures from that week, I posted my "cloud" pictures here.

Gina, Junction lookin' good.

Safe Trails,

RB

Last edited:

FCBH

Forum Supporter
Yamaha and Honda African Singles explore the Texas Savannah

After searching deep inside the bowels of the Texas dual-sport archives, I discovered about six hundred miles of dirt worthy routes leading to and from Junction. I contacted Jeff (Jeff S) that we needed to make a quick weekend trip to the eastern outpost of this rustic Texas hamlet that would follow the same path of an old motorcycle adventure trail from a bygone era. Within a few days, stuntman Jeff plotted our GPS escape path from the congested city. Good work, Jeff!

We proceeded to ride down ancient Apache and Tonkawa Indian trails plowing through an occasional deep river crossing including the infamous James River that has claimed the life of multiple adventure bikes throughout the years. With slipping and sliding we both survived it's clutches...except there was that ONE slick section called “Mrs. Teflon” just after crossing the main James River Crossing. Feeling overly confident, I sauntered over “Mrs. Teflon” smirking to myself how easy this particular low water crossing is. Half-way through the friendly low water crossing, my back tire spun out from behind and I tried to do the dance of life but was savagely thrown to the rocky river bottom. This river crossing had a crowned surface. I had failed to read it's surface demeanor.

As stuntman Jeff pointed out as I was sitting drenched with water in the creek bed, "hey dude, you were riding on the rock bottom side that was sloping down". Thanks Jeff for the advice.

After a few minutes of bending back the Bark "woof" Busters and mirrors and tightening loose bolts, we were on our way. That was my first low water inauguration in several years, so it was a humbling experience to realize that something so small can disrupt your riding life in a very short time, all at .0005 MPH. :)

We arrived in Junction around 4:00 in the afternoon. That was too early to call it a day for us dirt cowboys. We picked up the Butler Map and found several fun routes north of Junction. We explored that area until near sunset, then we wiggled back at highway speed to Junction. The next day we took a 400 mile Foghat “slow-ride” back to Austin via the Three Sisters and several dirt goat paths along the way including Hackberry Road that was quite lush from all of the recent rain. After a fun 600 mile weekend of dual-sporting, all I can say is I can't wait to return!

Here are a few pictures from this weekend's romp.

Jeff sipping on his cantina

2cfxxzr.jpg

The African Singles resting by the Llano River near Junction

t0grq0.jpg

CR 372 near Junction (this picture was taken by Jeff)

35jkzm9.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet posts guys. Very jealous !!!! Keep them coming please . This was a good year for me on the bike. Big Bend, Arkansas , Summit County, CO, Barber vintage rally , Asheville and the BRP, Harvest festival. I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Headed to Ecuador in 2 weeks; going to rent a bike there while I visit family. I'll try to post pics of that one.
Keep the ride reports coming please.
My 2 sons and I are leaving Oct 7th for a 9 day ride starting in central Texas up to Asheville,NC. We are going up there for the fall color change and will ride the BRP, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshine 28, Tail of the Dragon, up to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Cherokee.

My 2 sons and I are leaving Oct 7th for a 9 day ride starting in central Texas up to Asheville,NC. We are going up there for the fall color change and will ride the BRP, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshine 28, Tail of the Dragon, up to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Cherokee.
Now, that's a nice area to ride! I think the Cherohala Skyway is one of my favorite roads. I know you're going to enjoy it!

FCBH

Forum Supporter
Hit the Oark Cafe a few weekends ago and talked to some hunters in the area. This cafe is famous for many intrepid dual-sport riders and cruisers types as well who frequent the many riding options the area has to offer.

The road leading to the Oark Cafe from Highway 103 is outstanding. After Oark, instead of opting to ride the typical Pig Trail route, I hopped off on CR295 north from Highway 15. From there, CR295 goes over about six to seven miles of mild gravel road and then it spills you out into CR38. CR38 goes along the top of a ridge overlooking mountains on either side going through their fall color change. From there I head west from Winslow and take the Devils Pen 170 road. It has a series of fantastic sharp switchbacks that require your utmost attention. From the Devils Pen, I took numerous small county roads that eventually led down Highway 59 south bordering Oklahoma. After a late lunch, it was IH40 east back to Clarksville.

2uiyl5e.jpg

Back in mid-October the TW & I accepted a ride in Jay's truck to the RibFest in central Tennessee, an annual event hosted by the Nashville BMW motorcycle club at a club member's rural acreage:

With rain most all day Friday, we went sight-seeing the truck, stopping for lunch in downtown Centerville, TN, where you will find this bust of Minnie Pearl sculpted in chicken wire:

There were lots of activities at camp on Saturday, including GS Giants events and trials/obstacle competitions, but I set out on my own to explore the local area:

The little tourist town of Leipers Fork was hosting a Chili Cook-Off with a celebrity parked at the edge of town:

And a band and cloggers entertaining in-town:

Central TN is a beautiful area:

With lots of little paved & unpaved county roads to explore - with a noticeable absence of roadside litter:

I even ventured as far as Santa Fe - and have a pic to prove it :trust::

bwdmax

Forum Supporter
I decided to kick off the New Year with a little ride. I was doing a few things around the house when I heard the KTM whisper my name. I tried to ignore it at first but in the end it won. I geared up checked the oil and air in the tires. The fuel was low so that determined the direction of travel. I only had about 2hrs of daylight left so I was just going to go for a quick spin. The temps were great and the gravel roads were damp but not muddy, traction was great. I just wandered and found one of my local gravel shortcuts getting a facelift.
EC1F3E24-0A52-44B3-8137-2B218C549F35_zpsrmf5ttzv.jpg

You can't' stop progress, but you can pick another road.

EECB3CE7-1213-41D1-B11B-CE687AE8CB06_zpsqwepaisj.jpg

The sun began to set and I started making turns that would lead me home with my only regret, I should have decided to ride earlier.

5AC5D2C9-F618-47F6-8108-888AEDB85B68_zpstwrdq9nr.jpg

Yeah... in 5 short months... ;)

Snuck in one last ride/elk scouting trip on December 4th, we had a very dry November.

20161204_155235_Mod-XL.jpg

Haven't seen the ground since.

i-NnzwN3H-XL.jpg

SL350

Forum Supporter
DRZ400 and Sl350 both having hiccups ... day ride on CT90s. 4 hours, less than 100 miles, and about a gallon of gas total... Hunt county east of Dallas during a water break:

34468513665_1d57975a46.jpg

DRZ400 and Sl350 both having hiccups ... day ride on CT90s. 4 hours, less than 100 miles, and about a gallon of gas total... Hunt county east of Dallas during a water break:

34468513665_1d57975a46.jpg
You keep post these and I will have to have one. Keep looking at them on CL and they have been tempting me for a while.:deal: I have a weakness for two wheels.:trust:

SL350

Forum Supporter
I think everyone ought to try a CT90. Those little bikes make the average gravel road into an adventure. Drew, let me know if you get one so I can help.

I think everyone ought to try a CT90. Those little bikes make the average gravel road into an adventure. Drew, let me know if you get one so I can help.
Gotta sell something first but really think they would be fun to own. Kinda like a yellow one I saw a while back on Craigslist.

I think everyone ought to try a CT90. Those little bikes make the average gravel road into an adventure.
I tried one back in 1971, have they changed any since then? Lol I guess it all depends what kind of adventure you're up for.

...never slow down...never grow old

_

SL350

Forum Supporter
I tried one back in 1971, have they changed any since then? Lol I guess it all depends what kind of adventure you're up for.

...never slow down...never grow old

_
Not much!

One of those two CT90s has some significant upgrades since 71. It has new front springs that keep the front from bottoming out so quickly. New rectifier throws out lots more watts and led bulbs help. The rear shock are about 50% stiffer, it has tapered bearing in the steering instead of ball bearings. Lots more but it's funny you mention that because I was on the 69 with the black milk crate and it is almost 100% stock - only the rectifier upgrade and it rides 100% different than the 1975 one with all its upgrades.

...never slow down...never grow old - yep.

From same day trip, I just love going over a creek on a small bridges with gravel roads...

34357697511_32533423c8.jpg

Last edited:
It won't be this one! $3500? on AustinsCraigs list.

1967 Honda CT90
condition: excellent
engine displacement (CC): 90
fuel: gas
odometer: 1527
paint color: red
title status: clean
transmission: other
"SURVIVOR" Honda CT90 with 1527 miles. Was stored indoors since 1980. Runs great everything works including charging system. Original headlight & tail/brake light still work fine. Has never been off-road. Was bought new by original owner that lived downtown a couple of blocks from the Capitol Building. It lived there for 48 yrs till I bought it. All the miles were put on it in Downtown Austin area. It has new tires, tubes & battery. Original Carburetor has been rebuilt and gas tank cleaned out with new fuel lines. Fresh oil change. Has High & Low range gearbox that can be switched with lever under transmission. Can set for weeks and will crank on first crank every time. Clear Texas Title. 2 original Keys and fork lock works too. Cleaned and waxed original paint and wheels and they look great. Re-packed bearings when tires were changed. Front and rear brakes work fine. Drives great. Engine runs smooth & quiet. Original seat has no tears. Firm on price - serious inquiries only.

Last edited:
Haha love the CT90 stuff!

I had a great one on Friday with my kid, did a 35 mile loop almost all dirt from our house. Great two track and great views, he even got to do a creek crossing followed by a tight turn and climb.

i-fq335T2-L.jpg

Super fun loop, the dirt was perfect.

i-BrJhr8t-L.jpg

Did about 85 miles of roadbook checking for an upcoming ride yesterday, hard hard work I tell ya. We've had a ton of moisture so even the desert is green.

i-msskr35-L.jpg

Windmill

Forum Supporter
That WY is so beautiful. I would like to go back one more time. I bet the wildlife love the lushness of the land this year. I love to watch the pronghorns antics.

That WY is so beautiful. I would like to go back one more time. I bet the wildlife love the lushness of the land this year. I love to watch the pronghorns antics.
They're standing around with confused looks on their faces wondering what do do with all the feed and water....

Tourmeister

Keeper of the Asylum
Admin
Hmmm... I want to get Daniel and Sarah onto a clutched bike. I have the XR80R, but the reach for the lever is an issue for both. Are kid levers just bent in more toward the grip? If so, that doesn't interfere with the ability to fully disengage by limiting the amount of available pull on the cable? I really need to check the clutch on the 80 anyway. It is a 2003 model and I think the plates are still all original.

Right now, both are riding 110's without the clutch. They are still wrapping their heads around the concept of gears. For Daniel, gears just mean more speed. He's not real clear on why you would ever want to use a lower gear :lol2: Sarah just likes to put it in second and never shift. I am trying to get them to understand the idea of matching the desired gear to engine RPM/power.