• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Well it's hard to compete with TM's NC, but I rode about 600 miles this week on the Guzzi and KLR but had to work much and photograph little.
1st pic, CR306 in Llano that heads up by Cap Mountain.....found a pretty tank on this little dead end and a perfect consistency of sand and gravel to practice my sliding.....I can now slide the KLR around using the back brake about 180 degrees and beyond.....practice makes perfect.
2nd pic, Mason and I heading to the last little league game of the year.

:sun:

Attachments

• LLANOCR306.jpg
    LLANOCR306.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 197
  • LASTGAME2012.jpg
    LASTGAME2012.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
.......made some calls near Elgin, saw my buddy Jerry for lunch. Circled 'round Mcdade, Blue, Shiloh, etc on some pretty roads..110miles..hot today but even in the heat; the native sunflowers and Loblolly pine smells touch my heart.
1st pic, bouncing the crosstimbers near Mcdade
2nd pic, shady stop on Paint Creek Rd.

:sun:

Attachments

• mcdadetracks.jpg
    mcdadetracks.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 200
  • olepaintshade.jpg
    olepaintshade.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 186
Went on an 80-90 mile ride today. Nice weather and some good scenery and 1 good pic of the bike.

AmericanTobaccoTrailAccess.jpg

Where is that? Here in Texas we have the "Forest Trail". Of course there is not much left of the forests... :doh:

I've been getting out on some rides but not doing a good job getting pictures posted. Last Saturday I snuck out with a few guys early in the morning. We jumped on some singletrack for the commute to the two-track forest roads we'd planned to patrol. Incidentally, one guy's wife was in the process of having a baby.... more on that later. :)

Got up to my spot to start exploring and found old overgrown roads to the top over a very cool ridge above the Tumalo Falls area. This was the end of the line.
IMG2449Mod-L.jpg

[ame="http://vimeo.com/43327999"]Little Butte by Tumalo Falls[/ame]

[ame="http://vimeo.com/43328000"]From The Top[/ame]

Unfortunately the mountains were totally socked in or this would be an amazing view. My old buddy James.
IMG2452Mod-L.jpg

Yours truly. Really liked the trail on the way up, with Manzanita trying to grab you the whole way.
IMG2453Mod-L.jpg

Equally nice heading back down... eventually needed to be on top of that ridge in front of us.
IMG2456Mod-L.jpg

[ame="http://vimeo.com/43327998"]Heading Back Down[/ame]

Cruising along quickly in a tight group of four, we came around a corner and started going uphill quickly... and up... and up, until we all started flailing. I tell ya, after living in Texas for a dozen years, hill climbing is not my strong point.
IMG2460Mod-L.jpg

Save that one for next time and new tires I think.

Remember the guy's who's wife was in labor? Well her water had broken and labor wasn't really coming but still... couldn't believe he was on the ride (you're a crazy dude Jeff!) :eek2: And then he got a rear flat... no 18" tube, no tools, no air. I donated everything and we also discovered that his wheel bearings were shot in the process. :lol2:

I'm considering making some half-serious requirements for my rides. Don't be late. Wear appropriate gear. Wait for the guy behind you (duh!). And carry tools and tubes. ;-)
IMG2462Mod-L.jpg

Once we got him going he took off for home (healthy baby girl, 9 lbs 13 oz!) and we kept going up, eventually hooking up with another buddy. We hit this spot only this pic is from the week before, more snow, more drama :)

IMG2393Mod-L.jpg

IMG2395Mod-L.jpg

Anyway, back on course, we blasted up NF 370, one of the most fun roads I've even been on, and quickly ran into snow of our own.
IMG2465Mod-L.jpg

Also ran into a husband and wife, he on a 500 EXC and her on a DRZ or WR I believe. She'd just finished mutt-parking her bike in a mud hole coming off of a snow bank. I asked about his 500 EXC and he had less than 100 miles on it. It was replacing his 2011 530 EXC. :giveup:

Paul trying to make it to the end of the line. In the 2nd bit of drama that day, the buddy we'd hooked up with turned around and went home without saying much. I didn't realize it until he was long gone, because it was slow going and we were navigating snow fields. Turns out he may have been in shock after punji-sticking himself on a 3/8" diameter sharpened stick that went through his boot and into the arch of his foot. :eek2: Turned out to be a pretty serious wound. :doh:
IMG2466Mod-L.jpg

The End of the Line - still .7 miles from where we wanted to be.
IMG2467Mod-L.jpg

As we were sitting here discussing our good fortune a runner comes up to us out of the woods (and deep snow). He was from the valley and training for the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run. Needless to say he was lost as all get out. His wife had dropped him off for a ~ 10 - 12 mile trail run back to town and he'd went the *wrong way* on the trail. :rofl:

Time was getting on so we headed back to town. Like I said, most fun road ever once we got out of the snow. I've never wanted a Go Pro except on that road... perfect dirt + huge water bars + 60 mph = huge fun.

Got back down into the trees and caught forest roads back home. Thankfully no idiots running their pickups like they were racing the Baja 1000 this time.
IMG2469Mod-L.jpg

James took a foliage sample. That bugger is headed to Mt. Hood for the Black Dog Dual Sport tomorrow and I'm dying with envy. :mrgreen:
IMG2471-L.jpg

Good day! Gotta remember how to post Vimeo vids and I'll get 'em in there.

Wow... I just CANNOT imagine having so much incredible riding SO CLOSE to where you love!!! I am horribly envious :lol2: But don't stop posting the reports!

Rode to Bastrop, Luling and Lockhart today and back to Thorndale for work.....
200 miles mas o menos, the new Heidenau does well in the rain!
pic1- I thought I would "float away" in Lockhart!
pic2- An interesting sign near a RXR track bend behind Elgin Cotton Oil Gin

Attachments

• HEBfloatlockhart.jpg
    HEBfloatlockhart.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 184
  • clearancesign.jpg
    clearancesign.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
Coolhand, your having entirely too much fun! Don't you have other things to do occasionally like the rest of us? Hope your bud's foot is ok. Man, I'm Mr. prepared when I ride-I believe nothing will ever break if you carry so many provision's you will never need, ha!

Coolhand, your having entirely too much fun! Don't you have other things to do occasionally like the rest of us? Hope your bud's foot is ok. Man, I'm Mr. prepared when I ride-I believe nothing will ever break if you carry so many provision's you will never need, ha!

I wish I could occasionally do the things you guys do... trips to North Carolina, Arkansas, Colorado, Big Bend.... must be tough!

Wow... I just CANNOT imagine having so much incredible riding SO CLOSE to where you love!!! I am horribly envious :lol2: But don't stop posting the reports!

Scott... if a guy had time, you could be on dirt ~ 2.5 miles from my house and ride to Nevada...

J

:tab The problem with the trips is that they have become about the only time I get to ride anymore. Daily riding has pretty much ended right now, especially with the SHNF closed down. So while the trips are nice, it means the great riding is far and few between...

:tab The problem with the trips is that they have become about the only time I get to ride anymore. Daily riding has pretty much ended right now, especially with the SHNF closed down. So while the trips are nice, it means the great riding is far and few between...

SHNF is *CLOSED*???

SHNF is *CLOSED*???

:tab Oh yeah. Drought last summer killed a LOT of trees. A few fell over so the Forest Service closed down ALL of the NF stuff in Texas, campsites, trails, etc,...

Thought I would share a few photos from this past Saturday. I rode up to San Saba to check out the Regency Bridge. Was pretty cool, and lots of fun riding on the gravel roads up in that area. I'll have to go back up there soon as there looked to be many more gravel roads to explore. The paved roads were great fun as well, including FM580. I did a write up on my blog in case anyone wants to read more.

Regency Bridge:

7170865785_7cdeacd686.jpg

7170870897_df500d7762.jpg

CR 420 and Colony Cemetery:

7170866277_3766ae5943.jpg

7170867799_10e42131e3.jpg

7170868561_e0ffaeb9c2.jpg

The blog post is here: http://www.motofuji.net/2012/06/11/saturday-ride-to-regency-bridge/

Back