• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

Sunny day in Cloudcroft, New Mexico.

Attachments

• wr250R-rb.jpg
    wr250R-rb.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 230
Yesterday I piddled around a few local small roads to become familiar with our new-to-us TW200, stopping by the Hill Country Village event center over here in Northwest Louisiana - seems everyone wants to be a Texan :sun::

get-photo.asp

Spent the day riding around Lake Lavon or what is left of it with TWT'er Rick. Here are a couple of pics of the ride and lunch at TWT familiar spots. Nice day for a ride as we left it was mid 70s.

15304733199_895f59626a_o.jpg

15305079477_5f5dffb32d_o.jpg

15304738019_8f773cd640_o.jpg

An old favorite ruined.

One of my favorite little side excursions near Comfort was taken over by the "Safety-crats". I wonder how many more they are going to snag for the "public".
River Bend Rd just off 473, East of Comfort, was a little loop that had 2 low-water crossings and almost constant flowing water. I could pull off and stay quiet for a while and soon would see horses and other native animals come to drink.
I imagine you can still do that but you have to hike now. One crossing is now fenced off and on private land... the other has been made into a park. Both of the old crossings can be viewed from afar from the new flood-proof bridges. Yuk.

Go out and visit your favs soon or next time you may have to see the "improved" version.

Attachments

• River Bend Rd 1 (640x480).jpg
    River Bend Rd 1 (640x480).jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 241
  • River Bend Rd 2 (640x480).jpg
    River Bend Rd 2 (640x480).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 230
  • River Bend Rd 3 (640x480).jpg
    River Bend Rd 3 (640x480).jpg
    57 KB · Views: 253
  • River Bend Rd 4 (480x640).jpg
    River Bend Rd 4 (480x640).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 228
Hey Rick, long time!
Yes, I've snagged a couple of them. A 2012 BMW R1200RT and a 2012 BMW R1200R.

The 1200RT was a clearance model from FT Worth BMW as the '13's were coming out. The 1200R I bought used from a man in Arlington.

I've been wanting a BMW roadster as kind of a old man's sport bike. I'm long passed folding myself up on a true S-bike.

I kept the 1150RT as a back-up bike even though it has almost 200k on it.

I just spent a long weekend in the Hill Country buzzing around on the roadster and I'm taking the RT back down this weekend for the Harvest Classic.

It has been a long time, and you have been busy. Nice set of bikes you have. I'm still plugging along on my ST3. Have fun at Harvest Classic and look for Stephanie and Gary Welborn. They are on a new black Multistrada and will be in attendance.

Did a quick trip out to Marble Falls for lunch Sunday. Had a couple nOObs in tow and didn't really have time to get to Boerne other than running straight highway, so we decided on Bluebonnet Cafe. Bad decision for a Sunday afternoon. Line was out to Burnet. So, found a spot up the road to go check out, but on the way to it was lured in by the smell of BBQ at Inman's. So, we went to Inman's. None of us had ever been there before, so we weren't sure what to expect. Turned out to be pretty good. This is a good backup spot if you want a quick ride but don't quite have time to get to Cooper's or wait in line anywhere in Lockhart. They have a Turkey sausage that is really good - a little dry, but you can feel good about it being healthy-ish for you. And they do ribs on Wednesday - gonna have to make a Wednesday lunch run soon.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inmans-Ranch-House-Bar-B-Que/114410821920663

We didn't ride anything new, just a bunch of old standards. On the way out we went through Lakeway to Bee Creek Rd, then hopped on and off 71 to run Paleface Ranch Rd, 404, 414, et al, to 2147 into Marble Falls. On the way back we ran Shovel Mountain to Hamilton Pool, Bell Springs, Fitzhugh, Circle Dr., back into town.

Couple pics of the convoy...the yellow bike wasn't with us, and there's an extra CRF250L hidden behind the little GS. The Scrambler felt right at home on this misty cold dark day.
10173748_10152388022555671_3222070242889395727_n_zpsada19990.jpg

10624959_10152388022225671_958660433872520115_n_zps7aeef036.jpg

Last edited:
Showed new rider Clint (GoSeeDo) around some local back roads and stopped for lunch in Grand Cane, LA:
get-photo.asp

I picked the wrong weekend to take a naked bike to Arkansas!
The roads around Mountain View made me forget the overnights in the high 20's and 40/50 for the highs.
Until it was time for a gas/potty stop.... didn't want to get back on.
Would I do it again? Yeah. I'm that kind of bitten. :giveup:

Attachments

• Ark 3a (697x800).jpg
    Ark 3a (697x800).jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 207
  • Ark 2a (800x600).jpg
    Ark 2a (800x600).jpg
    66 KB · Views: 208
  • Ark 1a (600x800).jpg
    Ark 1a (600x800).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 215
I saw Jerry's posts on Facebook regarding his trip to Arkansas. I figured ya'll were together.

Visited Oxford today for some higher learning - not sure it helped much tho:

get-photo.asp

Last weekend I rode the sidecar rig up to to the informal Hot Springs Ramble up in Arkansas:
get-photo.asp

get-photo.asp

get-photo.asp

get-photo.asp

Even tho this is a little stale... I wrote it up but then never got around to posting it.
thought some of ya'll might enjoy this account of a morning ride.

How I Celebrated My Independence Day

4jul14

Headed out this morning with only a rough idea of where to go. Out of Kerrville, took 16 to Medina, 337 to Vanderpool.

Didn’t leave til almost 8 and low and behold, I am chilled on the bike! July in the Hill Country and I am cold? Crazy. I carry a sweatshirt in a side case, but the side cases are not on the bike. Oh well, it will warm up soon enough.

Other than bambis and buzzards, the roads are empty. EMPTY. I thought for sure there would be other bikers like me, out for a morning run before family festivities get started. Nope. No one is out. The pavement is mine.

At Vanderpool, I decided to stayed on 337 to Leakey, with the idea that I would pick up 336, ride it to hwy 41 and then decide how much more I wanted.

In Leakey, I talked with a guy and his wife (and their two lovely boxers) who were riding a home-built buggy (think dune buggy, but not). The guy was so enthusiastic about 337 to Camp Wood that I decided to go to Camp Wood. Well, after about 10 minutes, I was not loving 337 anymore. Turned around, went back and picked up 336.

336 was more to my liking. By now it was 10:30, the morning sun had warmed up rock faces next to the road enough that the heat was radiating back out and it felt wonderful. (I know many of you are shaking your heads in disbelief, but I am that cold natured.)

Reached hwy 41. Stopped and pulled out the Butler map. Humm,…well, looks like the “funnest” thing would be to turn around, go back to Leakey. Which I did.

When I got back, Leakey had woken up; folks were out and about. Shopkeepers were setting their wares out. Traffic had picked up considerably. Cruisers were the rule. My Wee was the exception.

(BTW, I delivered a package yesterday to a Mr. Sandstrom. SandSTROM. Cool, huh? I know I am a dork. To remove any doubt as to my dork status, I had to say something to him about it. There is no good segue for it, but I did it anyway. Picture this:

Courier (that would be me): “Mr. Sandstrom?”
Customer: “Yes.”
Me: “I have a delivery for you. Please sign here. Hey, um, do you ride motorcycles?”
Customer: “No.”
Me: “Oh, umm, I ride a Suzuki V-Strom.”
Blank look from Mr. Sandstrom.
Me: “Um, thank you sir. Have a good day.” Courier stumbles back to truck.

All morning, I have been content to putt along, an easy pace; ~65 mph. (Indicated. So, in reality, closer to 60.) Nary a thought about speed. Just enjoying the hills, the beautiful morning, the clear sky, the cool breeze, the warm sun…

After 3 or 4 hours of this peaceful meandering, a part of my brain (that I don’t fully understand) instructed my right wrist to flex abruptly. The bike surged forward and the rest of my brain rejoiced and my body was glad.

Yes, cue the music from Top Gun. Just like that, the Need For Speed made itself known. I zipped down out of the hills and by the Lost Maples store, hung the right and sped on. Tucked in behind the windshield. Approaching the red line at the top of each gear, shifting quick. Weeee!!

Recalled a conversation I had with Bowtie39 and some others. You never know, you get on the bike thinking you are just going to putt into town and pick up a few groceries and next thing you know, as Bowtie put it, “You are going nuts.” Another time, you gear up and think you are going to really tear some roads up. Ya get out there, and you are happy trundling along, flower sniffing.

Today, speeding down 337, heading to Medina, I let the road dictate our speed. I drive this stretch of 337 every day for work. I know the curves, dips and inclines. But of course, no one knows where or when bambi might pop out. So, yes, I keep my eyes roving and err on the side of caution.

Right when I was wishing for some more curves and realizing all the ‘good stuff’ was behind me; I remembered I still had the twisties thru the canyons on hwy 16; something to look forward to. Stopping for the left turn at Medina, I made a quick appeal to the traffic goddess that the way would be clear, and off we went.

At a popular swimming hole along the way, a boy sees me coming and jumps on top a large rock to grin and wave. He is thrilled when I wave back and toot the horn.

One heart-stopping moment: on a flat, open section of road, 3 on-coming pickups, all pulling long, low-boy trailers, loaded with metal pipes. The lead truck must be hauling bottom-us, because right ahead of me, the end of his trailer whips out over the center line on a curve. Instantly I let off the throttle. My one thought: if I am forced off the road, at this speed (~70), can I keep the bike upright? Can I recover? Luckily, we don’t know. Though the wee danced on the edge, we stayed on sweet pavement.

A few more miles down the road and a lesson is presented. Don’t be overly gleeful (weeful?) when finally able to pass a slow moving pickup. In my wee glee, I might hit the next sharp curve a little hot. I do love down-shifting. Not very often I down shift AND hit the brakes…Ahem, all I’m saying about that.

Except, do ya’ll know I love the grip my stinko tires give me? I do. I really do.

:rider:

Great ride report, Spirit. It sort of reminded me of some of my solo forays from here at the ranch to some beautiful county roads and some nostalgic points of interest.

Great report Gina. When the scooter gods are smiling, you can't have a bad day on the road.

Great ride report, Spirit. It sort of reminded me of some of my solo forays from here at the ranch to some beautiful county roads and some nostalgic points of interest.

Well, Agman, when we gonna glide down some roads 'round here?

Well, Agman, when we gonna glide down some roads 'round here?

Hah! My cabin fever from the cold temps must be showing. There will be rain on Saturday and strong winds on Sunday. What days of the week do you normally ride? I'm always looking for an excuse to bust through the front gate.

I may have bumped down some of those roads in my fedex van!

not sure i'm ready to subject my wee to more of that abuse (sure, blame it on the bike, gina)

lol. Well, a dirt rider i am not. Yet.

Back