• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

If you ride that area on a Monday again, give me shout and I'll join you.

I'm sorry it was on Sunday wen I rode out there but I'm thinking about doing afternoon rides that way. I lived in stockdale ten years ago and lots of dirt roads that take u all over looking to explore more roads I haven't bin on trying to make a good loop out that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the new upgrade from standard issue KLR milk crate. Too many people complained that their doohickeys were coming out of the honeycomb sides of the milk crates. Lol

_

Lmao yep it's a pig feed bucket with custom green bungees with black Chrome hooks

Haven't Ben able to make my mind up wolfman soft bags or tusk aluminum boxes tuff decision

Haven't Ben able to make my mind up wolfman soft bags or tusk aluminum boxes tuff decision

Soft bags don't hurt as bad if your leg gets caught under them in a get off ;-) Also, they don't weigh as much. Hard bags can be nice, but the KLR is already sprung soft in the rear. If you go with hard bags, you might also want to consider a rear spring upgrade to a slightly stiffer spring. The nice thing about them is they are relatively more secure than soft bags (in terms of anti-theft security).

Can't wait to ride home again all these day ride reports are great :)

I have the Wolfman soft bags on my Triumph Tiger. I love them. They have saved me from damage to the bike (and hard cases if I had them) many times.

Finally got to get out for a morning ride this morning on the orange bike. Left the house at 8:00 am and got back home around 1:00 pm. Had a lot of fun riding the Bastrop Trails and then Gotier Trace, St. Delight, Pine Tree Loop, Stockade Ranch Rd, and Paint Creek Rd. Last time I did the Trails, I was chasing Joel, Bwdmax, Jeepman, Green EggsnHam, and some notable or infamous others around. This time I was solo and couldn't remember all the places Joel took us, but I did manage to find and make it up Slippery Hill and some of the other areas. Trails were more eroded than I remember and were great fun. Saw a doe with a couple of fawns. Then I headed down Gotier Trace and had 3 fat does run across the road in front of me and shortly after that I spooked a Turkey that was on St. Delight Rd. She flew down the road in front of me at helmet level for about a quarter mile before veering off. That was way cool. Unfortunately, I only had my phone with me and was unable to get any animal pics. But, just to prove that I actually got out and rode today, here are a few iPhone shots...

ktm_bastrop_loop.jpg

Taking a break on the Bastrop Trails.
ktm_bastrop_loop2.jpg

another view
ktm_Pine_Loop_Trail.jpg

Pine View Trail ( I think) Probably can't tell in this pic but there is a real pretty pond in background covered in blooming Lotus plants.
ktm_St_Andrews_Lutheran.jpg

St. Andrews Lutheran Church at Paint Creek, don't think this congregation is interested in church growth programs.

I have the Wolfman soft bags on my Triumph Tiger. I love them. They have saved me from damage to the bike (and hard cases if I had them) many times.

That's the way I'm leaning towards. Now witch brand of crash bars are the best ?

Finally got to get out for a morning ride this morning on the orange bike. Left the house at 8:00 am and got back home around 1:00 pm. Had a lot of fun riding the Bastrop Trails and then Gotier Trace, St. Delight, Pine Tree Loop, Stockade Ranch Rd, and Paint Creek Rd. Last time I did the Trails, I was chasing Joel, Bwdmax, Jeepman, Green EggsnHam, and some notable or infamous others around. This time I was solo and couldn't remember all the places Joel took us, but I did manage to find and make it up Slippery Hill and some of the other areas. Trails were more eroded than I remember and were great fun. Saw a doe with a couple of fawns. Then I headed down Gotier Trace and had 3 fat does run across the road in front of me and shortly after that I spooked a Turkey that was on St. Delight Rd. She flew down the road in front of me at helmet level for about a quarter mile before veering off. That was way cool. Unfortunately, I only had my phone with me and was unable to get any animal pics. But, just to prove that I actually got out and rode today, here are a few iPhone shots...

ktm_bastrop_loop.jpg

Taking a break on the Bastrop Trails.
ktm_bastrop_loop2.jpg

another view
ktm_Pine_Loop_Trail.jpg

Pine View Trail ( I think) Probably can't tell in this pic but there is a real pretty pond in background covered in blooming Lotus plants.
ktm_St_Andrews_Lutheran.jpg

St. Andrews Lutheran Church at Paint Creek, don't think this congregation is interested in church growth programs.

You mean this time ?

20150801_125222_zpsjdb9jrww.jpg

JT and I out running the back roads from Kerrville to Johnson City. Stopped at Fat Boy Burgers. Can recommend them. And then this...
b66790be1b0047e712c0cba22b8f6840.jpg

Hey, "That rider has no neck!"
9c032e851c20f2802ca224f3c3a54a0c.jpg

We'll be back on the roads in no time.
eff85b098e657fcc551c566117d03536.jpg

Last Sunday JT and i loaded the bikes up and took them to Junction. A friend had given JT some roads to try out.

Unloaded at Junction city park on the banks of the Llano river. Good staging place.

f0a5ed0bd09499a15f5a47010fabaaee.jpg

Abandoned house that captured both of our imaginations. What's this homestead's story? Where are the folks who lived and worked here? Love seeing architecture built to suit the climate. Thick rock walls and narrow windows keep the heat out in summer. Hold warmth in during winter.
57985fb2b8c63c16da8754639534961e.jpg

Naturally it's easier to grab a pic when the going is easy. This road did hold some fun sections.
b890b1fc5e77347e33c1f81c6f65ba06.jpg

This was taken just outside London. We gassed up in town and cooled off in the air conditioned store, guzzling gatorade and chomping granola bars.
89af8175f04a9353dba16a4162077f79.jpg

Had to stop and check out this very cool old Studebaker. It could be yours!
5e259819023913f2dfca2298ac40041a.jpg

No pix but did take a dip at a river xing somewhere along the way.

5322f9f7b3f179808541bcb41fe36b95.jpg

The ponies patiently wait for the next outing.
a501ab8363a0177eb491568c3164d599.jpg

Last edited:
How are you liking the TTR250? Not too cramped?

How are you liking the TTR250? Not too cramped?

Scott, We've been slowly modding the 250 to make her more comfy and long distance friendly. Raising the handle bars made a significant improvement, especially on trails.

I think you can see in the pix that i've added a couple of pads to the seat. the stock seat is a miserable piece of ah--"equipment". it will have to be upgraded at some point. ("Some point" being before MexTrek in October.)

The biggest drawback to this little bike so far is the lack of aftermarket accessories for it. Needed a tail rack. There are only 2 models available, so we fashioned our own. Need a windscreen, but will have to modify one meant for another bike.

But I love her sturdy reliability. Starts right up every single time and even re-started itself one time when i had stalled the engine during a (to me) gnarly down hill and had gotten sideways...the engine miraculously restarted, allowing me to get us straightened out and pointing properly down hill again.

I like the low first gear, allows me to mumble my way through some stuff. JT put on a larger rear sprocket and she now hums along at 60 quite easily.

thanks for asking!

Summer day trip on my Fazer...

Looking down at the valley near Texas from the New Mexico border.

2cgin8j.jpg

Don't hike here without water or a personal location beacon like SPOT! This part of New Mexico is typical Chihuahuan Desert terrain: dry and rocky, with desert grasses, mesquite, Ocotillo, Saltbush, Yucca, and various species of cacti.

eram55.jpg

Dell City, Texas has a dirt road that is a considered a back-door entry into New Mexico.

2w6rjv4.jpg

Riding towards mile marker zero on the New Mexico side near the Texas border. It is very desolate until there was a New Mexico police car waiting at mile marker zero. :rofl:

2eej1ie.jpg

Key West, Texas :rider:

voq2w0.jpg

The metal object in the middle reminded me of the Star Trek IV episode. This movie involved a large metallic space probe that entered into orbit around Earth, disabled global power on the planet and evaporated the oceans.

2upe05s.jpg

On this trip there was ample moisture in the soil. The abundance of rain was a welcome relief compared to the drought conditions of recent years.

fdx8p5.jpg

...staring at the Texas border from the New Mexico side.

suyiq9.jpg

Thanks Mark! I have several other pictures from that week, I posted my "cloud" pictures here.

Gina, Junction lookin' good.

Safe Trails,

RB

Last edited:
Yamaha and Honda African Singles explore the Texas Savannah

After searching deep inside the bowels of the Texas dual-sport archives, I discovered about six hundred miles of dirt worthy routes leading to and from Junction. I contacted Jeff (Jeff S) that we needed to make a quick weekend trip to the eastern outpost of this rustic Texas hamlet that would follow the same path of an old motorcycle adventure trail from a bygone era. Within a few days, stuntman Jeff plotted our GPS escape path from the congested city. Good work, Jeff!

We proceeded to ride down ancient Apache and Tonkawa Indian trails plowing through an occasional deep river crossing including the infamous James River that has claimed the life of multiple adventure bikes throughout the years. With slipping and sliding we both survived it's clutches...except there was that ONE slick section called “Mrs. Teflon” just after crossing the main James River Crossing. Feeling overly confident, I sauntered over “Mrs. Teflon” smirking to myself how easy this particular low water crossing is. Half-way through the friendly low water crossing, my back tire spun out from behind and I tried to do the dance of life but was savagely thrown to the rocky river bottom. This river crossing had a crowned surface. I had failed to read it's surface demeanor.

As stuntman Jeff pointed out as I was sitting drenched with water in the creek bed, "hey dude, you were riding on the rock bottom side that was sloping down". Thanks Jeff for the advice.

flipmeister.gif

After a few minutes of bending back the Bark "woof" Busters and mirrors and tightening loose bolts, we were on our way. That was my first low water inauguration in several years, so it was a humbling experience to realize that something so small can disrupt your riding life in a very short time, all at .0005 MPH. :)

We arrived in Junction around 4:00 in the afternoon. That was too early to call it a day for us dirt cowboys. We picked up the Butler Map and found several fun routes north of Junction. We explored that area until near sunset, then we wiggled back at highway speed to Junction. The next day we took a 400 mile Foghat “slow-ride” back to Austin via the Three Sisters and several dirt goat paths along the way including Hackberry Road that was quite lush from all of the recent rain. After a fun 600 mile weekend of dual-sporting, all I can say is I can't wait to return!

Here are a few pictures from this weekend's romp.

Jeff sipping on his cantina

2cfxxzr.jpg

The African Singles resting by the Llano River near Junction

t0grq0.jpg

CR 372 near Junction (this picture was taken by Jeff)

35jkzm9.jpg

Last edited:
Back