• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

The blue sidecar tug is is a 1998 BMW R1100GS with a later model GSA fuel tank.

I kinda have a hankering for sidecar rig based on a Triumph Scrambler.

I’m about to do some farkling on the 2017 GS and it was quite filthy from my last ride. Since it finally stopped raining I decided to wash it this afternoon. But, then I needed to get all the water out of the hard to reach places to avoid evaporation stains. So I went riding :rider:

I did stick to pavement so it would stay relatively clean. It was a nice cool day and evening! Amazingly, there weren’t many bugs. With all the rain in recent weeks, I was expecting a lot, but maybe they have had time to hatch...

I tried to take the back way to Trinity, but the river is WAY out of its banks!

IMG_3952.jpg

Maybe 150-200 yards across, several feet deep, and moving fast!
IMG_3953.jpg

Only a few inches deep here. Top of guard rails is about 24”.
IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

IMG_3961.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

Now I get to start taking off body work in preparation for installing new lights and air horn. Then come the new tires!

I managed to get out this morning for a ride. I’m not back to the house yet, sitting at Bucks O Stars in Huntsville scamming WiFi and clean restroom.
Anyway, everybody has ridden the slab so no pictures up to Lufkin. Went to the Angelina County Courthouse to get the doughboy statue for the Tour of Honor.
c9cf85f1c45029db75ccbf09cf8ae393.jpg

Then it was off to Crockett for lunch. I got a glowing recommendation to try the Chuck Wagon Grill from a friend at work.
d3714171fe313b8cb466a852e9b8472f.jpg

A small place with maybe seating for 20? Anyway, burgers and assorted sides are on the menu but you must resist and get one of the three daily specials. Today was pork chops, pork roast, or meatloaf. I got the pork roast with green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, and cornbread.
13863d86af5a725180f841a38b6edbcd.jpg

Buttermilk pie for dessert.
e186fad72fd98122a7562f48b5538a99.jpg

Unsweetened tea for my drink. Total for lunch? $12 and some change. This is my new stop for eating in Crockett.
805 S 4th St, Crockett, TX 75835

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry not a bunch of pictures, but met stromxtc at the usual in Beeville this morning. We had a mission to replace my Hurricane Harvey era AC unit at the coast house.

The one in the front. I had a buddy that was in Rockport with his truck and graciously offered to assist. So Strom n I took the scenic route from Beeville to Aransas Pass Lowe’s and met up with my buddy. Easy selection, got the new AC purchased and proved it only takes 3 grown men to install a window unit. Also checked on the community pier which is coming along nicely.

Rumor is, grand opening is next weekend. It still needs lights which should be soon, fingers crossed. We rode back through Refugio and had a burger before parting ways. Thanks again Brian for the help and my buddy Billy who I suspect is stalking this forum.

He left oft the part where it is not cool front inspired temps anymore .

Grateful to have the opportunity to ride with good twt folks and even Kirk.

Ps, got my $70 shinko 705 rear delivered today ( black round rubber thing below)
-21-12080-18-shinko-705-series-dual-sport-tire-kit.jpg

Got in just a tic under 300 miles today. Expected to see more mud and high water but most of my route was relatively dry. Started out at Hard Eight BBQ in Stephenville. One of my favs, but the last two trips the brisket has been lacking---too dry and not tender at all. Hope they can get this corrected. Left there and weaved my way down thru Hamilton to Cranfills Gap taking every county road I came across. Had a good time on the gravel other than a herd of loose goats jumping out in front of me... 🐐🐐🐐 Got to Iredell and took pavement all the way home. Ended up being a pretty good little ride!!!

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Gymply Tracks 19MAY2019.gpx
    546 KB · Views: 190
Thanks for taking close up pics of the markers. I always enjoy reading those.

Great post and pics Gymply. We also did about 300 miles in the same area and probably crossed paths. I unfortunately suck at stopping to smell the roses and take pictures.

I finally went to Loco Coyote. Didn't really know it even existed which is surprising since I've been riding that area for 20+ years and have friends who ride and live in Glen Rose. Not sure how I missed it. AWESOME onion rings!

Great post and pics Gymply. We also did about 300 miles in the same area and probably crossed paths. I unfortunately suck at stopping to smell the roses and take pictures.

I finally went to Loco Coyote. Didn't really know it even existed which is surprising since I've been riding that area for 20+ years and have friends who ride and live in Glen Rose. Not sure how I missed it. AWESOME onion rings!

Oh yeah!! Loco is great. I've been a customer for years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a text from aspr yesterday that another little piece of history is going to be replaced. He’s surveying an old bridge in Karnes County for replacement and I should go check it out.

So I head out this morning and find some great gravel / dirt roads to get there. I got lost and found what I thought was the bridge which looked nice but in no need of replacement.

A quick look at the map and yep, I missed the turn. Still a nice dirt road so I backtracked and found two antique bridges of unknown era.

The wooden bridge was the sturdier of the two. The concrete bridge has seen way better days. I could see aspr had been there due to the tagging. I then continued on and found from the south side, the road is actually closed. Wasn’t closed from the north.

Since I was so close, I rode on in to Helena which is apparently the toughest town around.

Great day for a ride. Thanks aspr for the tip.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know how many once thriving towns perished because they were bypassed by either a railroad or major highway/interstate over the years?

Went out for a dirt road fix this morning before the heat and humidity showed up. Searched some great roads just west of Nixon. Even got to chat with a local about protective gear.

Found this really cool log cabin that’s seen better days.

Kept riding and got drenched in a rain shower which knocked down the dust and made the roads slick for a few miles. Came across an interesting sign on a gate.

And if that’s not interesting enough, I found an old country cemetery with a sign at the gate. I agree with the first rule listed but not sure why they felt it needs to be posted.

Then passed through another little spot on the map called Union Valley. It too has been abandoned thanks to the railroad.

A very interesting marker right next to it tells of some settlers way back. Aspr might need to give us some detail on this one.

Finally headed home after taking a shortcut through a corn field. Another good day to get out, ride, and take in some history.

Do you ever wonder what process they go through to determine just what they want to say on those markers...? I mean, there has to be a LOT more to be said, so how do they decide what is important and what is not?

Yup, I doubt HarrietSmith Beaty thought it all that historical when she gave some logs to build a school.

Went out for a dirt road fix this morning before the heat and humidity showed up. Searched some great roads just west of Nixon. Even got to chat with a local about protective gear.

View attachment 235152

View attachment 235153

Found this really cool log cabin that’s seen better days.

View attachment 235154

Kept riding and got drenched in a rain shower which knocked down the dust and made the roads slick for a few miles. Came across an interesting sign on a gate.

View attachment 235155

View attachment 235156

And if that’s not interesting enough, I found an old country cemetery with a sign at the gate. I agree with the first rule listed but not sure why they felt it needs to be posted.

View attachment 235157

Then passed through another little spot on the map called Union Valley. It too has been abandoned thanks to the railroad.

View attachment 235158

A very interesting marker right next to it tells of some settlers way back. Aspr might need to give us some detail on this one.

View attachment 235159

Finally headed home after taking a shortcut through a corn field. Another good day to get out, ride, and take in some history.

View attachment 235160
All I know is we started the post office, one of us was post master, one ran mail to and from stockdale on horseback. We also had a general store, cotton gin, gristmill and sawmill. The mills and gin ran off ecleto creek which used to flow like a river.

If you walk through the nockenut cemetery you will not find a single Hastings grave. It's all the Polish and German families. We had our own family cemetery which is across the FM road from my place.

We moved from Mississippi in 1856

I have some written family history from the folks who never left the area. My grandfather moved off and ended up in Wharton, my dad landed in Victoria. I'm the first member of our side of the family to live on our place in over 40 years. My great aunts old house is about 300 yards from mine.

Union valley was the closest town to nockenut, which was the town we founded. https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrn24

There was an abundance of hickory and anacua trees, which somehow was combined to get the name nockenut.

We purchased 2000 acres from the family of a man who drew a black bean during the battle of Mier. The family of the soldier had no interest in the property, so they put it for sale. We later acquired an additional 2000 acres which eventually was lost to the bank. Over the years the land has been slip up and given to descendants, some sold(:angryfire). We still have 325 acres, my cousins own 120 adjoining acres and some Hastings down the road still have some land. Recently a piece that was sold out of the family was divided and 50 acres of it was for sale, it sold for $550k. Wasnt much sense in paying that much for property that used to be ours.

Last edited:
We purchased 2000 acres from the family of a man who drew a black bean during the battle of Mier. The family of the soldier had no interest in the property, so they put it for sale. We later acquired an additional 2000 acres which eventually was lost to the bank. Over the years the land has been slip up and given to descendants, some sold(:angryfire). We still have 325 acres, my cousins own 120 adjoining acres and some Hastings down the road still have some land. Recently a piece that was sold out of the family was divided and 50 acres of it was for sale, it sold for $550k. Wasnt much sense in paying that much for property that used to be ours.

This is a VERY common thing with land that starts out large and passes down through inheritance. Unless there is a concerted effort to keep the land in one piece, it almost always ends up being split up and sold off in parts.

Looks like a really cool ride! Did you just happen on those roads?

Kinda. Aspr and I are always looking for good dirt road routes in the area. This ride I just picked an area I hadn’t ridden and got lucky. There were some side roads I didn’t check out so I’ll be going back soon.

Back