• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your Day Rides Here!

With a good seat and padded bicycle shorts its not bad at all. 😉
Seat can sure make a difference. But I've done pretty good milage on a 500 and can't say I enjoyed the street part. Awesome when you hit the dirt.

Had a good loop in SHNF today as @GSTJOHN tried his new ride out.
20211123_160948.jpg

Quick trip to Bartlesville while working. 300ish miles….
hwy12 to 2nd street by the Daisy Gun factory, Hudson Rd. To 49 to 90 to 20 to Jay, Langley, Vinita, Nowata to Bartlesville. Wind to beat the band, usually doesn’t bother me but SON when it whips up those hollers and on those Oklahoma plains it will catch you out!
pic1 , Butler Creek meets the Elk River in Noel MO
pic2 , the bricks of Vinita
pic3 , where do you get your kicks?

Attachments

• ED920782-4DB7-4D1F-ACA9-40B1F5809983.jpeg
    ED920782-4DB7-4D1F-ACA9-40B1F5809983.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 123
  • 10D2BA80-4B23-42DE-A89B-172299498BBC.jpeg
    10D2BA80-4B23-42DE-A89B-172299498BBC.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 124
  • E4089F2C-4108-4293-9C54-96CAF172C5EF.jpeg
    E4089F2C-4108-4293-9C54-96CAF172C5EF.jpeg
    353.3 KB · Views: 128
Had a good loop in SHNF today as @GSTJOHN tried his new ride out.View attachment 307946
That is a great looking bike. My nephews and I hit some of the East trails Monday. Thanks to all of the volunteers that take care of it, I don't live close but sure appreciate it with the few times a year I am able to make it out.

Got out this afternoon for a couple of hour ride. It was quite interesting. First there were deer everywhere, just grazing in fields, surprised me as it was early afternoon. Guess hunting pressure may have the routines messed up. The saw an armadillo digging for lunch on the side of the road, went by at about 25 mph and he didn't even look at me. Then a few miles further I saw a sounder of wild hogs. Three or four large ones and a passel of 40 to 50 pounders. They were heading toward the road so I pulled over after I got past to see if I could get a photo. This is what I got, zilch, zero, nada, they would have nothing to do with it.

11-26-21-1.jpg

So headed on down the road and saw a group of 5 Mexican Eagles. They flew as I got close to where they had been feasting on a deer carcass. Road a bit over a 100 miles and only had about 1 miles of gravel. It connects two roads I like on this loop. If I did not take it, it would add about 30 miles t the loop and I would need to backtrack some. Stopped and took a couple of photos at a bridge on the gravel road.

11-26-21-2.jpg

11-26-21-3.jpg

Then since I was going through Fannin I swung by to check out the BBQ joint someone mentioned in the BBQ thread. I di not even know it was there, and I have been through there a lot. Going to have to try it out sometime.

11-26-21-fannin-bbq.jpg

Must have been the day for Mexican Eagles as I saw another group of 5 or 6 on another road kill deer.

Overall a goof ride and it was great to get out. Just surprised as most of the wildlife I saw was early afternoon and then did not see much as the afternoon started to wane.

Went out to Hidden Falls on Friday to try out the new to me XR250R. I immediately jumped onto the Ridge Trail which I think is the easiest single track there. It was not easy for me.lol I have never ridden a motorcycle on this type of terrain. Mountain bike - yes. Motorcycle - no. I never dropped the bike but came close several times. After a break, I spent the rest of my time riding UTV trails. I should have started out on the UTV trails and then moved on to the single track.

One of my biggest issues is braking. I kept grabbing a lot of front brake like I would on the road. Not a good idea on loose rock or sand. But I should get better with more experience. I can't wait to go back.

Attachments

• HF 11-27-21.jpg
    HF 11-27-21.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 109
Sunday evening I went on the shortest ride I've had on the Africa Twin, 4 miles. I got 2 miles from home and all went from well to what is going on. Pulled over and it was pretty apparent what the problem was.

nail-in-tire.jpg

Two miles from home, shoot. Decided to go a little ways and see how it went, knowing the tube was probably shot and if not I was willing to sacrifice it. The Mission has really stiff sidewalls and it was pretty cool, so rode about 1/4 mile at 15 mph or so and stopped and checked. Tire was not even warm really and bouncing on it you could not get it to squash any so I rode it the rest of the way home. Uneventful thankfully. Once I got home I messaged @bwdmax (Gary) as he had mentioned he had a tire machine. He said bring it on up, so I pulled it and headed his way. Got about there and realized I had forgot the new tube, so called him and let him know what was going on and that I would be a bit later than anticipated. Got the tube and got to his place and then proceeded to watch while he did all the work. Wasn't long and I was ready to go again. Thanks Gary!

So, tonight I have to work on an update for a client that could not be done during business hours so decided to go the ride I had been planning on Sunday. It was a beautiful day and the temp was almost perfect. Big plus, no flats.

Just kind of roamed around a bit. Went across the lake which I do a lot and realized I had never stopped and got a photo, so I grabbed one.

11-30-21-1.jpg

Then saw this and thought it was interesting. Someone had been riding SxS there along the creek, looked like it would be fun.

11-30-21-3.jpg

And had a really nice sky as I headed toward home.

11-30-21-2.jpg

Thanks again Gary. We need to get out to a RTE one of these days and it will be my treat.

Started off with a group ride in San Antonio:
20211205_122722.jpg

But the group was too large for my likings, so I broke off and explored some new roads.

It amazes after a year of poking around down here that I keep finding gems close to home almost each ride.

20211205_140012.jpg

@Jarrett GW becoming the go to bike?
I try to alternate. I rode the 390 last weekend and planning to ride it next weekend, so figured it was a good day for the GW.

Felt kinda weird rolling up to the "fast" bike group on a GW though. Was happy to see another one there. The GW has no problem keeping up with the fast bikes though, but to be fair no one is going that fast. Unlike North Texas where we ran pretty fast on group rides.

(Side note, I didn't realize that when I started riding in North Texas that I had jumped into a group of such really good, fast riders. Just happened to fall in with a bunch of old racers that can really ride. So, I got used to a really high group ride pace. Down here, I haven't ridden with a group yet that all goes the type of pace we used to do regularly in North Texas. Sander can definitely ride that way, but by and large, the vast majority of groups I've ridden with down here are considerably slower by comparison. So I don't feel the need for super fast bikes here.)

Back to your question, if I know there is dirt or lots of dead ends on the ride, I'll take the 390.

Otherwise, the GW is pretty nice for a long paved ride. I just have to remember it has its limitations in corners at speed. I've started scraping the pegs on it pretty regularly lately, when I ride solo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to alternate. I rode the 390 last weekend and planning to ride it next weekend, so figured it was a good day for the GW.

Felt kinda weird rolling up to the "fast" bike group on a GW though. Was happy to see another one there. The GW has no problem keeping up with the fast bikes though, but to be fair no one is going that fast. Unlike North Texas where we ran pretty fast on group rides.

(Side note, I didn't realize that when I started riding in North Texas that I had jumped into a group of such really good, fast riders. Just happened to fall in with a bunch of old racers that can really ride. So, I got used to a really high group ride pace. Down here, I haven't ridden with a group yet that all goes the type of pace we used to do regularly in North Texas. Sander can definitely ride that way, but by and large, the vast majority of groups I've ridden with down here are considerably slower by comparison. So I don't feel the need for super fast bikes here.)

Back to your question, if I know there is dirt or lots of dead ends on the ride, I'll take the 390.

Otherwise, the GW is pretty nice for a long paved ride. I just have to remember it has its limitations in corners at speed. I've started scraping the pegs on it pretty regularly lately, when I ride solo.
You must be one or other, no exception. Get in the box!

The start of a week of riding. Rode down to Wortham to visit with the Tabatha and Garrison. Kai had a visit in the chair. Cool morning, starting at 43*. New riding gear is nice. Comfortable at cooler temps. Great music on the ride this morning. Great to to see the family.
20211211_084436.jpg

20211211_084510.jpg

20211211_111945.jpg

20211211_121522.jpg

20211211_121957.jpg

20211211_122608.jpg

20211211_122748.jpg

Back