• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Post your "my bike left me stranded..." story

My brand new Honda Trail 90 left me stranded 2 days after I bought it. I called the shop to ask them what to do. They said to check the gas tank. :lol2:

On BMWs, I've put 70,000 miles on two w/o a breakdown. At least not the kind that leaves me on the side of the road.

When I started riding everyone either rode Harleys or British bikes. Hondas were new on the market and no "real motorcyclist" would ride a Honda. If you rode a Harley or a British bike you expected it to break down. The quid pro quo was that you could almost always fix them with a screw driver and a couple of wrenches. Back in the day, a tool kit was actually a necessity and was used regularly on the road. A group ride was always sprinkled with a series of stops to fix someone's carb, clutch, or ignition. Maybe we were all naive or just stupid, because we would think nothing of taking off across the desert on something less reliable than a lawnmower. Riders that toured were crazy. A brand new Norton, Triumph or BSA straight off the show room floor was not a good candidate to make it across the USA without some sort of mechanical problems. There are still a lot of old bikes running, not too fast, but running just the same. They just take a lot of knowledge about what a particular knocking sound might mean. Is that a rod going or is the clutch bearing getting ready to go out again?

I rode British iron but I had a friend whose family had Harleys and one old Indian. He also had a Sears Allstate Puch with a 3 speed hand shift on the left handlebar. It didn't have much power but it was pretty reliable. Once in a great while the motor would start backwards. Very strange taking off in reverse.

I worked at the local BSA, Jawa, Honda dealer. I was really just a kid that hung around and they gave me work to keep me quiet. The Hondas were so different that seasoned riders wouldn't consider them. The pressed steel frames of the Dream and Benley models looked like cheap crap. Remember, in the 1960s Japan still suffered from an image as a manufacturer of cheap toys and short lived small appliances. The biggest Honda engines were 305 cc while British bikes were 650s and of course the Harleys went to 1200 cc. The Honda electric starters were amazing. No one thought that they would last. The high RPMs that the Honda's revved would obviously wear the engines out in a hurry. (The Honda pistons outlasted the cranks on some British bikes) And what is with the lack of oil leaks? We did notice that you could start a Honda without getting gas on your hand from tickling the carb and get to your destination relatively clean and not smelling like gas and oil. We also learned that none of those stops on road rides were to fix the Hondas, just the American and British bikes.

Now everything is computerized. They almost never break down. Anyone can ride a motorcycle, no mechanical knowledge necessary. However, on that rare occasion that it does stop, better call a tow truck, because you are going to need several thousand dollars worth of computer diagnostic equipment to repair it.

I'm thinking that it might be time to get more two strokes. Dead simple and you can rebuild the engine in a bedroom if necessary (trust me on that). They will reward you with predictable break downs and you can claim to be a mechanical expert when you get it running again.

I'll share mine later, but what have you got?

Not sure what anyone could learn from it but I used to own a 2001 Kawasaki Concourse 1000, while overtaking an 18 wheeler at (roughly) 75mph a wrist pin decided to retire completely. The piston went into the head and the rod came out the side of the case which allowed all the oil to discover both of my tires and everything else from my knees down to the road.
Somehow I remembered to grab the clutch and not the brake and managed to (very slowly) guide the bike off to the side of the highway, where it stopped forever.
Those motors are known for going over 100k so I never did find another to replace it with, sold the bike for parts about a year later. I guess the only lesson here is never trust a tow-truck driver who refuses to give you a price before hooking you up. $360 to go 40 miles, after swearing that it "won't be too bad, I will look after you".
I hope he still tosses and turns every time he sleeps.

Back