• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Practice/Goof Off area in Austin

Donut

Reaction score
I just acquired a YZ125 that I will be using to re-learn my skills in the safety of the dirt before I go for my street license. I did all of the maintenance, fired it up, and then realized that it will be 3 long weeks before I can get the time to take the bike out to my ranch in the hill country.

I was wondering if anyone in the Austin area knows of a place that I can take the bike and just tool around, goof off, and practice. I am not looking for racing, I am not looking for technical trails. An open field, an abandoned parking lot, a new housing division, some place that I can semi-legally have some calm, measured fun.

If this is foolish, don't hesitate to let me know. I grew up in Washington State, and there were way too many places to ride up there, so I might have unreasonable expectations.

Thanks!

I don't know of any places like you describe in Austin. Austin is full of lawyers that point out liability issues to landowners and then private property signs go up. There were some guys that used to meet over on the east side that had some trails figured out. Try searching for Austin hooligans or austin trails. They used to ride at dusk into the dark IIRC.

Do you see what I see?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-11 at 8.24.09 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-04-11 at 8.24.09 PM.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 312
What about the motocross park in Del Valle? I understand they have some trails there to ride.

+1 on the trails at Del Valle.....are they any good? I am not interested in anymore MX, just trails these days. I would like to know if they are atleast worth riding every now and again.

Depending on where in Austin you are, there is the Emma Long state park just of the FM2222 (Between the 360 and RR620). It has a dedicated dirk park, it's small and just consists of trails, but sounds exactly what you are looking for. Normally you need the state parks sticker ($9) on your bike, but I have never seen anyone checking for the stickers so if you just want to try your bike it might be worth a go if it's near to you..

Gary

Re: emma long trails

Emma Long is a City (Austin) park...rules, etc. are posted at trailhead, not sure what they are...probably not what you're looking for as I understand the trails are pretty tight and technical...sometimes used for observed trials in the past. There are some unofficial trails in the park that are more like what you're looking for but you'll have to find them yourself, part of the fun.

Back