• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayer for Zac Chapman - family needs help

:tab I've got another riding buddy that is recovering from throat cancer. He sends out regular updates on his condition. He has been thrilled because he is getting back his ability to swallow, which gets him that much close to removal of the feeding tubes!! Interestingly, like Zac, the first thing he wants to really eat is a good hamburger! He wants to do a "burger tour" to hit all his favorite places. I can't imagine the frustration of having to wait for the healing, but we pray for patience and strength for Zac and everyone around him.

Zac is still coughing. An xray done on Thurs. showed that his pneumonitis has not cleared up. He is still on I.V. antibiotics for the pneumonitis. We have to wait for more approval from medicaid before he will get more therapy; hopefully we will get that approval soon. Gotta love all the red tape with healthcare...NOT!!!

Zac is still coughing. An xray done on Thurs. showed that his pneumonitis has not cleared up. He is still on I.V. antibiotics for the pneumonitis. We have to wait for more approval from medicaid before he will get more therapy; hopefully we will get that approval soon. Gotta love all the red tape with healthcare...NOT!!!

Wife's on medicare, so I know. :doh: Coming to everyone, soon, it appears. She'd just gotten approval for her state retirement when this happened, haven't even gotten the first check, yet. They mentioned her Blue Cross/Blue Shield, but she'd told me it doesn't kick in until age 65 (five more years), so I need to investigate that cause I should be on it, too. But, then, probably not for long....:doh:

@ Jack, we are still praying for Suzanne and you...
UUGH!! I didn't get to spend my Monday with Zac like I usually do, instead I had to go to orientation. I called the nurse and she told me that Zac has been coughing a lot, plus he did not sleep well last night. Keep the prayers coming for Zac to get over this pneumonitis.
Haven't had the chance for a good pic of Zac lately. He hasn't been feeling the best, and I am so picky about his pics. I will post one when I can.

Don't sweat the pics. If you happen to get one you like, great. If not, no hurry ;-) We are still praying!

Jenny,
Your steadfast Love
for Zac amazes me.
Your love for Zac is
a glimpse of how much
our God loves us. Let
your heart not be troubled,
our awesome amazing God
has his hand on you and Zac.
Thank you for your updates..
Scott Craig

Thanks Buellboy, my love for Zac is steadfast...
Zac said he did not sleep very well in his different bed :( His eyes are still red, especially his left eye. Zac is doing so well with the remote control for the T.V. He can control the volume, channels, and the mute button with his left index finger. I heard that when the speech therapist was working with him today with the speaking valve, he said "I want to go home".
I know that Zac wants to go home, but he is not ready for that yet. There is still more progress to be made with therapy, and hopefully he will get the trach out in the future. Zac is still sick currently and on I.V. antibiotics. He was still coughing a lot tonight. A repeat chest xray is to be done tomorrow, hopefully it will show improvement

Jenny,
Please forgive me today.
I am very sad as I head
to Austin for the funeral
of an avid Motorcyclist
and friend killed tragically
on Sunday on his bike.
Life is so fragile. That is
why you and Zac are so
special. Pray for me as
I travel and for Robby,
my friends soul.....

Prayers for you and your friend's family Buellboy...
Zac had all 3 therapies today. In between each one he would point to the bed and I would say, "not yet". After his last therapy, he got to be put back in bed and he was ZONKED. He did not sleep well again last night because of the different bed and was not feeling so hot today. He continues with a lot of coughing that is productive. The chest xray had not been done by the time I had to leave.

The xray showed that Zac still has pneumonitis, although it is clearing up. Zac is gaining weight, he now weighs 125.8#. Zac went to his church again today.

:tab That is awesome that he is able to get out to go to church. I would be going absolutely NUTS being stuck in one place all the time. So I am sure getting out has to be a nice break from the routine. Good to hear the pneumonia is clearing and that his weight is coming up! My inlaws were here this weekend and Beth's Mom got to put Sarah and Daniel to bed Friday night. Sarah and Daniel had her totally up to speed on who Zac is, what his current condition is, and what they needed to be praying for, hehe. Then they informed her about Jack and his wife, along with a few other folks. She was amazed how much they knew and how specific they were. They are very enthusiastic about their praying!

God loves it when we
pray about his people.
Prayer and Obedience
are more important
than good intentions.
Lord we cry out to
you for Zac and his
lungs/speech. Thank
you for Jenny and her
steadfast love for her
son. Truly a small glimpse
of how much you love us.
Amen.

Zac did well with speech therapy today as well as physical therapy. We are finding out that Zac is having a lot of trouble with his vision. It has gotten worse lately and he is having blurred vision as well as double vision. There has been an order written for Zac to go see a neuro opthamologist.Zac worked on talking with the speaking valve on, and was counting from 1-20. He also counted from 95-100. It is very fatiguing for him, and he has to concentrate on his breathing and swallowing while speaking. He stood in the standing frame again and then was put on a bicycle for his legs like he used while at rehab in Dallas. Over the weekend, he rocked in his recliner using his left leg. Zac is so awesome :)

Zac in the standing frame. The belt that is on his bottom is helping to hold him up. The 3people are not having to help him other than to give him instructions, such as "stand up straight", etc.

Attachments

• zac full stand 4-26-10.jpg
    zac full stand 4-26-10.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 167
Zac's Mom,
I am so pleased
with Zac's progress.
I am so pleased
for you also...
But most pleased
is our God in heaven.
To him goes the glory.

An appointment has been made with the neuro eye Dr for next Monday. I can't wait, Zac's poor vision is a big hinderance right now.

Zac has an eye appt on Monday with the neuro eye Dr and then he also has an appt on Wed with his neurosurgeon from Dallas. I think the neurosurgeon is going to be pleasantly surprised when he sees Zac next week. Zac has come so far since he was at BIR in Dallas.
The speech therapist told Zac today that if when she comes in next Monday his secretions are the same or better, she will schedule the swallow study to be done next week. Zac is so excited! If he passes it, they will start trials of feeding him pureed foods.
Thank all of you for your continued support and prayers for Zac!!!!!

Went with Zac today to his eye appt. Appt. time was 1:15, didn't even get called back until 2:00. I had to leave at 3:15 to go get Julia from school; Zac had just had his eyes dialated for a more in depth eye exam. The Dr did make a comment before I left that he thought there would be a prescription for glasses that could help improve Zac's vision. As soon as I get more info from Zac's dad, I will share.
Zac's dad said the Dr. did recommend glasses for Zac. I was shocked to hear that he did not recommend a prism for one of the lenses, just regular, ordinary glasses. The Dr wants physical therapy to have zac perform eye exercises for strengthening of his eye muscles. The Dr wants to see Zac again in 4 months.

So the doc does not think there is any kind of damage or anything, perhaps just a lack of usage leading to some atrophy which can be fixed with therapy and glasses? If so, awesome!

Zac is still coughing a lot. They say the pneumonitis is cleared up, but that he is still having increased secretions from this recent episode. Zac communicated to me that the swallow study is still scheduled for some day this week; I'm surprised with as much coughing as he is doing. They weighed Zac again today and he now weighs 128.6#!!!
(just a little more son and you will weigh more than your mother... LOL)

Back