• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayers for my dad (and mom too)

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
I was holding back on posting a request because it seemed simple at the time. Dad has Parkinson's disease and is 83 years old. It is starting to win and he has been having trouble getting around, even with his walker. On Tuesday, he had a fall, but this was different. Mom doesn't know exactly when he fell because he was quiet. She ended up calling EMS and they and my sister came. Dad got a ride to the hospital to get checked over. Headed showed good, two cracked ribs, but both were old cracks, however one was re-cracked. Initial assessment was he would come home that evening. It's been downhill since. Mom is a 90 pound weakling, BTW, so she can't lift him. He's probably in the 150 range these days. Anyway, he showed some confusion so they wanted to keep him overnight with release planned for Wednesday. Then on Wednesday his heart rate would slow considerably. So by the evening it was decided to insert a pacemaker. That went fine and he talked to mom that night. Remember, with COVID, no visitation. Yesterday they monitored him and blood pressure was odd, heart rate good. Still a bit foggy though. He couldn't seem to use the walker though, so rehab was put on the table and he and mom agreed. Idea was to spring him today, but last night he kept trying to get out of the hospital bed. Claimed he was at home in his own bed. They gave him something to calm down and sleep. Today he was groggy, but had lucid times. Current status is still at the hospital and will get transferred to rehab facility tomorrow where he'll work on getting back to using the walker, which is important since mom can't help him in and out of a wheel chair. The nice part is we can visit at the rehab.

So, I'm trying not to be pessimistic, but I see assisted living on the near horizon. But the mental function and the resistance to doing anything (forgot to mention that) have me worried. If you could pray for his head to clear some and get his mobility back, that would be great. And for my mom who is having to deal with this remotely. Fortunately my sister and I are in town. I'm the designated "survivor" in that I let them spend time together and I stay away more and stay healthy. So if my sister gets sick, I take over. We also have church friends helping. The RN that is close to them has been great and so are the neighbors.

thanks.

It’s challenging stuff watching folks age and struggle. Dehydration in elderly can cause mental instability, fyi
🙏

I’ll be praying for you and your folks during these challenging times.

Rusty, so sorry to hear this news. Hope and pray for a good outcome. Try to avoid AL if you can. It's not good to isolate and visiting is almost impossible right now. Prayers for your Mom and Dad.

Rusty thank you for honoring and loving your parents. I know you are trusting God with this, I know your faith. Thank You Father God for your perfect plan for our lives and eternal life we have in you. Thank You for your peace you give us in the midst of the storms of our lives in this world. Thank you God that you cause all things to work together and you are the Alpha and Omega and nothing can ever separate us from your love.
I love the Hymn sung by Casting Crowns, Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus.

Last edited:
Praying for your parents and the rest of you too.

Okay, thanks for the prayers and kind words. Today he moved to a rehab hospital for a 5-7 day stay. The goal is to get him back using the walker as soon as he can so he can come home. Normal visiting is one person in his room per day between 4 and 7pm. Since he was just checking in, they allow my sister and I in with my mom. So that was good since none of us had seen him since Tuesday. Basically he's run down. The hospital was checking on him so often that he couldn't sleep. Plus his Parkinson's meds were given to close to food and that limits how well they work. So today he got them on time and that helped. I think a good night sleep will do wonders. He's a little in the "what has been going on" mode. He's been making decisions about what they do, but then the doctors have been confirming with mom. So that is good, but he still feels like we was on a train with no conductor. Now he feels better about the whole situation. Personal contact helps.

Praying for y’all, Rusty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty,

I pray for his healing. I know this must be hard on everyone.

I have heard many comments from nutritionists that the Mediterranean, Ketogenic, or plant-based diet can dramatically improve the lives of individuals with Parkinson's Disease.

Fred

My sister had a decent visit with him yesterday. Mom is going today because she has stuff to drop off. I'll go tomorrow. I'm going to mention to her to ask about a UTI. He is on a catheter right now.

Thanks Fred, I know they've done a bunch of research on Parkinson's treatment. He's had it for almost 15 years and it progresses slowly in older people. I think, and I'm not expert, but between a couple of lower back surgeries with mixed effectiveness, the other minor issues, and the cumulative effects of Parkinson's and all the medications, and old age is all catching up to him. I'm truly not surprised he fell, it happens. The cracked ribs are not a surprise, nor the issues with balance/coordination because all that was there before the fall. My concern is that he still asks where he is and why. They have ruled out a stroke and didn't detect any brain injury. They now have a sign on the wall by his bed that tells him where he is and when he got there and why.

Hi Rusty
Love to you and your family. I know this is hard on everyone.
I will be thinking of you and your Dad and Mom. Hoping for more progress.
Take Care.

Rusty, been following along and praying. I'm about two steps behind with my folks, my dad has pretty severe short-term dimentia.
Praying you and your family would know the heights, and depth and breadth and width of his love and presence as you journey this season of life

Thanks. This week has been a story of physical progress and mental ups and downs. He is off the catheter and working hard on using the walker, which is good. Mentally he's had more good times than before, but still some occasional head scratching episodes. The doctor thinks some of it is due to the Parkinson's and issues with dealing with change. So hoping that getting home will help to settle some of that. At the moment, he is scheduled to come home Thursday if everything continues as it has.

Now for the downside. If he can't get back to previous mobility and needs a wheelchair then we have to look at other options since mom can't help him in and out of a chair and he will need that sort of help. Next frustration is that I started feeling sick on Wednesday and couldn't go see him and my sister filled in for me. Had a Dr. visit yesterday and he tells me I need to stay away until I'm symptom free. It is some sort of viral condition, not likely to be corornavirus. However, just in case, I need to stay out of the rehab hospital and avoid my mom and sister so they can continue to go. If my symptoms change I'll need to get a covid test. Somebody is bound to ask why I didn't get one, but we (doc and I) don't think my symptoms are covid and will clear in the next couple of days. Add to that the test results are taking 5 business days so I wouldn't hear back until late next week. So without more symptoms it doesn't make sense to take the test and I'm already isolating. So I'm still here at home and can't help. Adds to my frustration.

Dad came home on Thursday. A little manic almost, but partially due to excitement to be home. Meds were modified and by today, he is fairly normal. Mom is having someone come in at night to help prep him for bed and make sure he doesn't get to wandering around at night. We don't know how long that will be necessary, but she's committed for two weeks. That should be enough to decide how long it is necessary.

So thanks for the prayers and so far, so good.

Mom is having someone come in at night to help prep him for bed and make sure he doesn't get to wandering around at night.

Praying for y'all, my parents went through that with my grandfather a few years ago and I know that is hard.
On the lighter side. My dad mounted a cow bell to my grandfather's walker at night to keep him from sneaking around the house at night. Poor guy. Lol

I'm PRAYING for your loved ones. You'll get through this. Take care Rusty.

Prayers going up for your you and your family.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Back