• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayers for my Dad.

bwdmax

Wylie E.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Turner
I got a call from my mom last night that my dad had gone to the deer lease to hunt yesterday and had fallen from his stand. He had called her and seemed very confused, but knew he had fallen. She told him to stay put and that I would be there to get him. I found him standing at the base of his stand and he knew me and knew his name, but couldn’t tell me basic events of the day and couldn’t remember the phone call to my mom. I did a quick assessment of him and decided to transport him to the local hospital.
They x-rayed and CT scanned from head to toe and determined no broken bones but, he had a concussion and a bleed on the brain. They quickly said they were not equipped to handle this and he needed to go somewhere with a neurological unit and the would let us know who had an open bed. He ended up going to San Antonio military about 15 minutes from my brothers home.
Many prayers have been lifted up and answered already. He has been thinking clearly and the bleeding seems to have stopped. He will likely be released tomorrow but the journey will probably not end there, so continued prayers will be appreciated.

Title should read prayers for my dad that’s what I get for working on my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Praying for you and your dad. Mom too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary, sorry to hear this, but very glad it is turning out this well. It could have been much worse. He's on my prayer list now.

Thanks for the prayers. Progress still positive this morning. They are going to hold him another day mostly due to weather conditions.

I'm curious at how old your dad is.

Fear of twisting an ankle or falling and hitting my head keeps me from going to my lease by myself.

He is fortunate he could be quickly rescued. Here's hoping and praying a speedy and quick recovery.

I'm curious at how old your dad is.

Fear of twisting an ankle or falling and hitting my head keeps me from going to my lease by myself.

He is fortunate he could be quickly rescued. Here's hoping and praying a speedy and quick recovery.

Dad is 75yrs old. He goes non-stop. I have tried to get him to slow down but, no luck with that. He goes down there and runs a chain saw by himself in August heat.

We don't know for sure how long it was between the fall and me getting there. I suspect he hunted until legal shooting time was done. My best guess is he was knocked out about 10 to 15 min. before he called mom. I was actually on my way home from a Men's bible study when my mom called me and I was about 20 min. from the lease. I turned around at a friend of mines business so I called him and asked him to start praying for dad and me also as I had no idea what I was going to find. I spent a 5-10 min. assessing him then travel to hospital was about 15 min. (I might have broken the posted limit once or twice in my travel).So it was probably around an hour from fall to ER best guess.

He has progressed really well. He shows no signs of a head injury at this point other than he doesn't remember the accident.

I got a call from my mom last night that my dad had gone to the deer lease to hunt yesterday and had fallen from his stand. He had called her and seemed very confused, but knew he had fallen. She told him to stay put and that I would be there to get him. I found him standing at the base of his stand and he knew me and knew his name, but couldn’t tell me basic events of the day and couldn’t remember the phone call to my mom. I did a quick assessment of him and decided to transport him to the local hospital.
They x-rayed and CT scanned from head to toe and determined no broken bones but, he had a concussion and a bleed on the brain. They quickly said they were not equipped to handle this and he needed to go somewhere with a neurological unit and the would let us know who had an open bed. He ended up going to San Antonio military about 15 minutes from my brothers home.
Many prayers have been lifted up and answered already. He has been thinking clearly and the bleeding seems to have stopped. He will likely be released tomorrow but the journey will probably not end there, so continued prayers will be appreciated.

Title should read prayers for my dad that’s what I get for working on my phone.

Take good care of him and don't let him rush back out to the deer lease!

Do they have any idea if the brain bleeding was caused by the fall or vice versa?

Several years ago my Dad was at an auction and started feeling really bad. He drove himself to St. Joseph's hospital downtown Houston. They determined he had some brain bleeding that they believed was caused by high blood pressure.

Good to hear things are moving in a positive direction.
I'll keep you guys on my list.

Something to consider ...

Log the long/lat coordinates of the lease/blind, store it in your phone or somewhere convenient so that emergency responders can easily find where you folks hunt.

Years ago I was on a lease southwest of Abilene ... rattlesnake country.
The long/lat coordinates were boldly painted on a 4x8 sheet of plywood and nailed to the wall of a pole barn.

Also, the phone number to call of the regional hospital that maintained an inventory of anti-venom. It wasn't the closest one.

Since then, I figure that stuff out ... trauma centers for gunshot wounds, snake bites, etc.

Take good care of him and don't let him rush back out to the deer lease!

Do they have any idea if the brain bleeding was caused by the fall or vice versa?

I had the same question and they feel certain the fall caused the bleeding.

Elaine and I will include your dad and your family in our prayers.

Thanks Steve

Good to hear things are moving in a positive direction.
I'll keep you guys on my list.

Something to consider ...

Log the long/lat coordinates of the lease/blind, store it in your phone or somewhere convenient so that emergency responders can easily find where you folks hunt.

This makes sense. I will certainly get the coordinates out of my GPS and put them in my phone and give them to my family as well.

Hoping and praying for a full and prompt recovery.

+1

I still don't remember the day I got a concussion, and that was 7 years ago. It's a day lost forever. :giveup:

Another +1 here.

Hoping all of your family can muster 'positivity' as you work through this trial. I'm sure that you 'kids' won't forget to be very attentive to your Mom's stresses and her need for extra support through this episode.

Thanks for the prayers and support. He is likely to be released today.

Help your dad start building a ground stand to take out there. The outdoors keeps us old timers young. Glad he is recovering well.

Dad came home yesterday and is doing great. He goes back in 4-6 weeks for a follow-up scan and evaluation.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

Help your dad start building a ground stand to take out there. The outdoors keeps us old timers young. Glad he is recovering well.

I'm going to build stairs with hand rails on both sides to his current blind. I'm certain he will continue to hunt.

Thank you for the good news update, very happy to read that!

Anticipating continued good news with the follow-up and many more years of therapeutic hunting for your Dad :clap: :sun:

Last edited:
Back