• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Praying for Fort Worth pileup victims.

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
Y'all be praying for the folks involved in that horrible crash in fort worth this morning. It is hard to watch the videos as the loss of life will be great. Pray for the families involved.

It is reprehensible how irresponsible and incompetent commercial truck drivers have become. What a horrific tragedy.

It is reprehensible how irresponsible and incompetent commercial truck drivers have become. What a horrific tragedy.
Absolutely. I understand ice on the roads but those guys still were going 60mph+

Tragic, but I'll reserve passing judgment until more details are known.

Cold and Icy are different things. I'm 20 miles away from that and my streets are totally dry and ice free.

If it's been dry for miles and you top a hill and there's ice and nowhere to go, how would you have known you needed to be going slower?

Anyway. not suggesting there is no blame, just that we don't know enough to accurately pass judgment here.

Tragic, but I'll reserve passing judgment until more details are known.

Cold and Icy are different things. I'm 20 miles away from that and my streets are totally dry and ice free.

If it's been dry for miles and you top a hill and there's ice and nowhere to go, how would you have known you needed to be going slower?

Anyway. not suggesting there is no blame, just that we don't know enough to accurately pass judgment here.
Agreed, it's just hard to watch those little cars get thrown around when 80k lbs hits them.

I have a coworker that lives less than 5-7 miles from there and his streets were 100% free and clear. From what I was hearing and seeing, most of north Fort Worth was clear as can be but this was one outlier. To top it off it was just after you crested a hill and couldn't do a darn thing about it.

Many good thoughts go out to the folks involved in that. It is a bad day for a whole lot of people.

Wow. Semi after semi slamming into the crowd. Horrible.

They're in my thoughts and heart. This is going to be a tough few days on the least fortunate in North Texas.

Reminds me of Icepocalypse 2011 when we hosted the Superbowl and it hard froze the Monday night beforehand.

Tragic for all of those having to live with that. Prayers for all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good friend of mine is a long haul trucker. I am going to ask him ... what protocols are for icy situations like this.

Very scary and sad for the folks involved.

Such a tragedy. Saw an interview with one of the truckers who was hauling military vehicles. He said it was dry until he topped the hill. He ran his rig into the barrier wall to try to scrub off speed and avoid impact.

I read an interview with the Coca Cola truck driver, he said the same thing as the military hauler. All was good until they crested the hill (bridge?).
I read many comments blaming Texans in general for speed and ice driving skills. All I can say to that is...nobody can drive on ice. I have driven thousands of miles on snow packed roads, ice is a very different issue. I also believe that "Truckers" are much better drivers than the average cager on the road. While they deal with a very different set of physics than we do on motorcycles, their level of attention is at least as good as ours. While we are invisible, they are cut off in traffic with zero respect to the 40 tons of mass they hold.
It was a very tragic event. One video I watched looked like an FJ Cruiser stopped behind a white pickup, I think they had both stopped short of the pile up. I say that because an 18 wheeler hit the FJ and it launched the truck into the air above another big rig trailer. If they were not stopped back a bit, the launch would not have happened.
Prayers sent to everyone involved and their families.

They're in my thoughts and heart. This is going to be a tough few days on the least fortunate in North Texas.

Reminds me of Icepocalypse 2011 when we hosted the Superbowl and it hard froze the Monday night beforehand.
We were moving from Fort Davis to Denton for that event. We stopped in Abilene for the night thinking we would drive in the next day. Woke up to 3 inchs of ice on the interstate and proceeded to get on the road in a uhaul like an idiot. we made it to Eastland and were stuck in a motel for 3 days. I dont drive in bad weather if i can help it.

A good friend of mine is a long haul trucker. I am going to ask him ... what protocols are for icy situations like this.

Very scary and sad for the folks involved.
If you’re a company driver and know it’s a safety issue, most companies prefer you not drive. Owner-operators make their own call. This is one of those situations that really would be hard to avoid from what I’ve heard. If that one area was the only one affected and there was no previous warning, not sure how it could have been avoided.

I saw an update a few days ago. It was an FJ Cruiser and it was involved in the collision that is watched. The driver was a paramedic on his way to work. He survived the collision and went on to help others in the accident. Eventually the first responders sent him to the hospital when they realized he was a victim.
Toyota offered him a new vehicle of choice...too bad he can't get a new FJ. I saw he picked a TRD PRO 4 Runner.

I saw an update a few days ago. It was an FJ Cruiser and it was involved in the collision that is watched. The driver was a paramedic on his way to work. He survived the collision and went on to help others in the accident. Eventually the first responders sent him to the hospital when they realized he was a victim.
Toyota offered him a new vehicle of choice...too bad he can't get a new FJ. I saw he picked a TRD PRO 4 Runner.
Yup, he's been all over the Toyota forums. If you watch the horrible video taken from the oncoming lane where you see cars and trucks just sliding into the pile, you'll see the gray FJ with the white top come to a stop just before hitting the pile, then a Semi punts him from behind as he goes spinning up and over the pile across the barrier and lands crumpled in the oncoming lane. The first time we watched that video, when we saw that hit both me and my wife said "That was someone dying there." Happy to see he didn't and was relatively fine. Toyota has certainly gotten some mileage out of that story so I'm happy to see they took care of him.

Back