• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pre-COBDR Rides

Bakeek

Reaction score
Early August, before I start a new job that entails deployments to austere locations, I plan on riding the COBDR. I am a relatively new adventure rider, and I know that trip is probably for more experienced riders. If I could get your suggestions on some good rides to help build my experience within 3-5 hours driving distance from DFW area, that would be helpful. I am riding a 08 F800GS.

I will be leaving around August 6th and trailering to Raton. If anyone is interested or already planning a trip that time, feel free to let me know.

Thanks!

That sounds like so much fun. My brother and I are planning COBDR next year and we can't wait. He is also new to ADV riding, so I have been taking him on rides in the Hill Country west of Austin (where we live). If you wanted to ride to Central TX, you could definitely find some public roads that would be good to test your off roading skills. Also, there is a great place in Marble Falls called Hidden Falls Adventure Park that has daily fees to ride a bunch of trails. Most are pretty technical and not suited for a F800, but I have the same bike and ride some of the trails. It is really rocky, and would definitely get you some experience with difficult terrain.

Check out this website (http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/) because it will show you a bunch of riding spots all over. I am sure you will be able to find some trails within 3-5 hours of DFW.

Best of luck with ride, and the new gig.

Arkansas come to mind. There are a great many gravel and dirt roads there that range from better than your average blacktop road to pretty wild. The trick is finding the trails that will let you build your skills and then approximate what you will eventually face. I can't help directly in picking the appropriate trails, but I'm sure there is info that can be found.

If you are an inexperienced off pavement rider, I would also call Brad Collins and talk to him about his training class. It's fairly basic, but still very useful. He is in the Marble falls area and posts here as UlyBrad and this is his facebook page, his number is, (512) 755-3001. He often uses hidden falls to do his training.

Good luck with your adventure and your deployment. BTDT as a POG

Early August, before I start a new job that entails deployments to austere locations, I plan on riding the COBDR.

(1) Take your bike to the Hill Country and ride the dirt there for free. Use Richard's Hill Country Ride Guide and also download his free GPS tracks.

There is enough loose stuff to be found as well as water crossings. Go get your sea legs and you'll be fine.

Make sure you can change a punctured tube with only the tools you'll take to Colorado.

**The rest of this is optional reading**

(2) I'm sure you've already visited the COBDR website

You can download the GPS tracks for the COBDR via that portal if you haven't already. I'd do that sooner than later, especially if you're not familiar with Basecamp or your GPS.

(3) Go to Butler Maps and get the COBDR map

(4) Go to Amazon Prime Video and rent the Colorado BDR movie for $1.99

Don't buy it because you'll only watch it once.

(5) Post up your questions on the ADV master COBDR thread and digest the content there. Everything from how to pack to where to sleep to where to stage your trailer etc.

Also check out the COBDR route conditions thread

Also in the Rockies Regional Sub Forum there are often solo riders posting up for riding buddies.

You may want to do that as a newer rider on your bike. I believe you can do it with not too much worry but you may want the assurance of having someone along. Of course, in June, July, and August on the COBDR you'll have someone coming along sooner than later as we're already in the magic window for the high passes.

Good luck

Last edited:
(1) Take your bike to the Hill Country and ride the dirt there for free. Use Richard's Hill Country Ride Guide and also download his free GPS tracks.

There is enough loose stuff to be found as well as water crossings. Go get your sea legs and you'll be fine.

Make sure you can change a punctured tube with only the tools you'll take to Colorado.

**The rest of this is optional reading**

(2) I'm sure you've already visited the COBDR website

You can download the GPS tracks for the COBDR via that portal if you haven't already. I'd do that sooner than later, especially if you're not familiar with Basecamp or your GPS.

(3) Go to Butler Maps and get the COBDR map

(4) Go to Amazon Prime Video and rent the Colorado BDR movie for $1.99

Don't buy it because you'll only watch it once.

(5) Post up your questions on the ADV master COBDR thread and digest the content there. Everything from how to pack to where to sleep to where to stage your trailer etc.

Also check out the COBDR route conditions thread

Also in the Rockies Regional Sub Forum there are often solo riders posting up for riding buddies.

You may want to do that as a newer rider on your bike. I believe you can do it with not too much worry but you may want the assurance of having someone along. Of course, in June, July, and August on the COBDR you'll have someone coming along sooner than later as we're already in the magic window for the high passes.

Good luck
Thank you for this... Very helpful

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Arkansas come to mind. There are a great many gravel and dirt roads there that range from better than your average blacktop road to pretty wild. The trick is finding the trails that will let you build your skills and then approximate what you will eventually face. I can't help directly in picking the appropriate trails, but I'm sure there is info that can be found.

If you are an inexperienced off pavement rider, I would also call Brad Collins and talk to him about his training class. It's fairly basic, but still very useful. He is in the Marble falls area and posts here as UlyBrad and this is his facebook page, his number is, (512) 755-3001. He often uses hidden falls to do his training.

Good luck with your adventure and your deployment. BTDT as a POG

Thanks buddy

What I would like to tell you are the words of one of my most favorite people, Major General Al Stewart, United States Air Force.

While under treatment for a brain tumor, and on our cycling team for the Air Force in Iowa (RAGBRAI), he said at a team dinner:

"The idea of "One Day" and "Some Day" ain't coming, folks....if you have a dream for your one life you want to do, do it now. It's too late for me to make plans"

He died less than a year after making that speech.

What I want to ask of you is this: If it is your dream to ride the COBDR, then go ride it.

Please do not let your self-doubts about your abilities come into play

Please to not let thoughts of "I don't have the perfect bike" come into your mind.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

- Teddy Roosevelt, from a speech delivered in 1910 in Paris at the Sorbonne

Last edited:
What I would like to tell you are the words of one of my most favorite people, Major General Al Stewart, United States Air Force.

While under treatment for a brain tumor, and on our cycling team for the Air Force in Iowa (RAGBRAI), he said at a team dinner:

"The idea of "One Day" and "Some Day" ain't coming, folks....if you have a dream for your one life you want to do, do it now. It's too late for me to make plans"

He died less than a year after making that speech.

What I want to ask of you is this: If it is your dream to ride the COBDR, then go ride it.

Please do not let your self-doubts about your abilities come into play

Please to not let thoughts of "I don't have the perfect bike" come into your mind.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

- Teddy Roosevelt, from a speech delivered in 1910 in Paris at the Sorbonne

Thank you buddy, I appreciate that. Being a new adventure rider, the BDR rides are my "bucket list" with CO being at the top. With deployments scheduled, I want to get out there and do this one before my next trip downrange. I also plan to video every minute of it and make a video while I am gone.

Some people say I don't have the right bike...well I love my bike. And while it is a flippin' heavy and can be a handful, I love it and its my dream for now.

Thanks again buddy for the help. I really appreciate it.

As stated, go for it, I have not ridden the C0BDR, but my wife and I rode the WABDR and 2 other BDR's, I forget which they where, she has been riding for a few years, there was nothing really difficult, just take your time if it gets a bit difficult. In general the guys riding the BDR's did it on big heavy BMW bikes, so if you are riding something smaller and lighter you should not have any issues. We loved all 3 rides that we did and plan on doing many more, having ridden the TAT and many trails in Colorado, I would love to ride the COBDR, but need to find the time to get over there.. Be sure to post plenty of pictures, and whatever you do, DONT ride alone, always have a team player with you in case something does go wrong.

Gary

One more tip everyone overlooks. It's in the COBDR video and discussed on the ADV thread, but most people don't think about it until it's too late:

Altitude sickness

Highly suggest you Google it and follow the advice to guard against it as best you can. There are meds for it and the other method is acclimatization.

Thank you buddy, I appreciate that. Being a new adventure rider, the BDR rides are my "bucket list" with CO being at the top...

But realize that a "bucket list" is usually just documenting "one day" or "someday" that never happens.
Like tricepilot says just jump in and make it happen.

I started a thread awhile back about this procrastination of living that is all to common for most.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107350

_

Back