• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Project 1150 RT....Questions???

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2002 BMW 1150 RT. It had been sitting for around 10 years. I have stripped all the tupperware off and removed the tank. The residual fuel came out like molasses. Went through 6 cans of carb and brake cleaner getting the initial sticky stuff off. This is not my first time to tear into a bike but it is the first time I have encountered a fuel system this fouled. The fuel Lines were totally eaten up by I assume ethanol. I have decided to replace all fuel lines, filters and couplers. I have pulled the injectors and cleaned them so they are good. I made me a test circuit with a momentary 12 volt switch using a syringe to pressure carb cleaner into it. I went to Max's site to buy fuel line, clamps and couplers and about had a heart attack when my cart hit $500:eek: I will need fuel and vent lines that go inside the tank, does anyone have a suggestion as to a more reasonable place to purchase these items. I wanted to use the BMW style clamps on the fuel lines. Suggestions???:shrug:

Beemer Boneyard is my go-to for those type items. Good products at fair prices. They have a fuel pump kit for the oilheads that's about 1/3 of the dealer's price, and it's made by the company that makes the OEM one.

Beemer Boneyard is my go-to for those type items. Good products at fair prices. They have a fuel pump kit for the oilheads that's about 1/3 of the dealer's price, and it's made by the company that makes the OEM one.

I had priced it there...Looking to see if I could purchase the fuel line locally. I have Oetiker Clamps and the pliers. I am gonna remove the fuel filter from inside the tank and mount it outside the tank.

I've never looked at a BMW fuel system but have found diesel fuel return line to be head and shoulders better in quality than any fuel system lines sold in a parts house .

I'm riding an R1150R with the ABS servo system. Despise it. About a year ago, I went through the brake fluid replacement process using the funnel set-up that beemerboneyard sells. It went all right (kind of), but it's a three or four hand procedure; that is, a two person job. If I knew then what I know now, I would have ordered new stainless brake lines for a NON-ABS model, and just gotten rid of the ABS. There's youtube videos on doing that job; looks pretty easy. IMO, if the brake lines on your RT are original, and the bike sat as you say, I'd say "change those lines".

They do not look cracked but I worry about the servo system after sitting if there is deterioration in the lines. It was stored indoors in a fairly controlled environment so exterior looks good:ponder:

The 1150 servo brake system is vented to the atmosphere (vent lines go to the caps on top of the ABS module) so don't trust that fluid even if it was stored indoors. It's NOT a sealed system.

Suck out as much of it as you can before trying to any other brake maintenance.

In my humble opinion.

They do not look cracked but I worry about the servo system after sitting if there is deterioration in the lines. It was stored indoors in a fairly controlled environment so exterior looks good:ponder:

It's the inside of the line you need to worry about.

By now they are breaking down and need replacement.

So, someone parked a 6-year-old RT and just left it to rot? :doh:

Brake lines ...

I learned while building road race cars, that there are reasonably priced alternatives to factory style lines.

http://www.colemanracing.com/Brakes-C94.aspx

Adapt to convert to AN fittings and it becomes very simple and inexpensive ... relatively.

How well would they hold up inside a gas tank?

I haven't replaced any since I started using them ,I'll try and remember to look and get a brand name . Biggest issue is size availability . I replaced the lines inside the tank on my 85 El Camino in the early 90 s with Parker brand pushlock hose and same thing never touched them again but that is available in 1/4 and 3/8 only but its lifetime .

Ghostrider, since you're in the Waco area, I've bought pressure rated fuel lines in metric sizes at what was Cobb's Automotive at 17th and Columbus (I think). That place has another name now, but it is still a "real" auto parts store (last time I went there). They sold it by the foot...

Back