• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Project Bike: '05 ZX6-RR 200mph Standing Mile Build

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Verboski
Like the title says. Im building my 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-RR to run at the Houston Mile(the one mile) and hope to be the first under 1000cc bike to break 200mph in the standing mile.

Its going to take ALOT of work(and HP) to get my bike there and with the help of a few guys who have run there, and made the 200mph club, ive been gaining lots of usefull tips and insight as the build goes along. Here are the specs of what im building

Bike: 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-RR. This is the race version with close ratio 6 speed, race tuned suspension, Higher lift cams + bigger valves than 636, shorter stroke(599cc) than 636 but 1000rpm higher rev limit, and slipper clutch.
Mods:
-Carillo H-Beam Connecting Rods
-JE Forged Pistons that bump it from 599cc to 636cc
-DynoTune Systems Progressive Dry Nitrous Kit (80HP)
-CNC Port + Polish on cylinder head
-Crankshaft Knife-edged, lightened, and balanced
-Sharkskinz Full Racing Bodywork
-Airtech-Streamlining Land Speed front fender
-Modified exhaust to go from undertail to GP style

Pulling the engine out right now to get the headwork and crank work done and to order the pistons and rods. My goal when its complete is 200-210hp on the spray and 200mph in the standing mile.... The Fairings and front fender should be here this week, ive already modified the exhaust, and got alot of smaller parts on order like the required lanyard kill switch, metal chain guard, etc.

Good luck with the effort hope to hear all about it after the run. I think you picked a good bike Kawas have always been quick from the get go. Are you going to do a picture build and post? Drew

Good luck with the effort hope to hear all about it after the run. I think you picked a good bike Kawas have always been quick from the get go. Are you going to do a picture build and post? Drew

Thanks. There are a few guys on this board that are helping me including Jason, so im learning as i go. This will be my first nitrous build so i have a learning curve ahead of me as well. The ZX6RR is the best platform for a 600cc i could have chosen as it has all the stuff factory that i mentioned above and with intake and exhaust mods and fuel management ive seen them put down HP in the 120's so i dont think ill have any trouble making 200HP with all my mods.

Ill post pics as i go. Ill snap some in a min.

Sounds like fun. You need to bring it out to Beeville (Texas Mile) in October.

I was originally planning on running there but alot of the fast guys said go to Houston Mile ,which they hold around the same time, since the track is better and it doesnt have the nasty spot at the end during shut down. Still waiting on details for the next houston mile since ive heard that some big names bought the event and are planning on going big this year.

Where is the Houston Mile held?

Where is the Houston Mile held?

houston... LOL

Its at Ellington Airport in Houston. From my understanding it is an active airport. Never been there myself but i will be hauling the bike down in October.

http://www.houstonmile.com/

They dont have any info up for the oct event and from what i understand since some bigwigs are taking over it will most likely be called something else for the next event.

Last edited:
Cool, that's the Air Force base over on the south east side of town. It's not far from my MIL's house. When we visit, we often see jets coming and going.

Cool, that's the Air Force base over on the south east side of town. It's not far from my MIL's house. When we visit, we often see jets coming and going.

Its supposed to be alot better than Texas Mile in Beeville. Ive heard you can get ALOT more runs in as well. Hopefully they post some info up by next month as i want to get registered. If not then ill be running the Texas Mile instead...

How it looked earlier today

bike_zpsae269e2f.jpg

Got my new race fairings in today and im to impatient to wait so i test fitted the race tail. Looks darn good!! Sharkskinz fairings rule. They are all fiberglass construction with holes predrilled. For some reason i thought they were going to come white though as i was planning on leaving them be and throwing a couple stickers on but im not so sure now... We are a dealer for sharkskinz btw.

racetail_zps448f4c8e.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a couple pics of what i did the other day. I didnt want the undertail exhaust anymore(or the catalytic converter for that matter) and a common thing for 05-06 ZX6R riders to do is swap over the 03-04 header. Well i bought a used one on ebay for about $30 to my door but upon examining it, there were a few differences i didnt like. First is the 03-04 has a primary OD of 34.5mm and 05-06 of 35mm so the primary tubes are bigger on my bike, second is the fact that the routing of the primaries are a little different and comes to close to certain areas as well as having to make a new radiator bracket. I was told to "dent" the pipe a little so it clears but im not into that type of mod so i cut off the collectors off the two and swapped them so i have the best of both worlds and no CAT anymore either...

exhaustcomparisonRE2_zps3fbaec90.jpg

exhaustnew1_zps159827f0.jpg

exhaustnew2_zps77c71a37.jpg

Lookin' good so far. How do you like your craftsman box? Just recently got the same and am enjoying it. Drew

The red one is good. I got the black one with big drawers and wood top and the bottom drawer track just broke yesterday... Time for warranty

EDIT: you can actually see the bottom drawer hanging open a bit in the pic. Thats the broken one... LOL

Last edited:
Watching this one for sure,, great project. Wish you the best of luck.

What is your final wet target weight?
Are you going to get a final post tuning Dyno run done for a known HP?

With GSXR1300 at 195 hp or so and 473 lb just barely making it into the 200 MPH range.. You have your work cut out for you... but I really like what you have laid out.. nice program.. if the weight is down enough, suspension working well to hook through 4th gear, rider doing his (or her) job plus some favorable winds and temps you have a good chance I think of reaching your goal.

Who is the rider? Experience? Standing Miles before?

Last edited:
Watching this one for sure,, great project. Wish you the best of luck.

What is your final wet target weight?
Are you going to get a final post tuning Dyno run done for a known HP?

With GSXR1300 at 195 hp or so and 473 lb just barely making it into the 200 MPH range.. You have your work cut out for you... but I really like what you have laid out.. nice program.. if the weight is down enough, suspension working well to hook through 4th gear, rider doing his (or her) job plus some favorable winds and temps you have a good chance I think of reaching your goal.

Who is the rider? Experience? Standing Miles before?

To answer a few questions

I havent been to concerned with weight. I believe wet weight is 423.8lbs and im eliminating anything that i dont need including, but not limited to, the exhaust valve servo, the undertail exhaust which im going with a tucked in side mount GP style w/M4 GP muffler, passenger footrests/pegs, and anything else i can take off.

The stock undertail muffler i took off weighed at least 15lbs, and the CAT probly 5lbs so thats all weight that wont be going back on there. So a conservative estimate would probly be 400lbs wet weight when its done. and im on a diet so that should help... LOL. I weigh 187lbs as we speak.

The bike will DEFINATELY get dyno tuned before i go and im shooting for 200-210 HP at the wheel.

I will be the driver. No experience at the mile, only street riding. I do plan to practice hard launches at the dragstrip once its together but before i go.

Im basically banking on the fact that my bike will put down comparable HP to a busa that can break 200mph (200hp), but its lighter(almost 75lbs by the numbers shown above), and it is more aerodynamic and has less cross sectional area so less drag.

I just want to be the first person that can break 200mph in the standing mile on a bike under 1000cc. Ive checked all the stats from Loring to Texas Mile, to Houston Mile and i cant find anyone who has done it. Its reletively easy, in comparison, to do that on a busa(especially turbo) so i want to stand out and prove i can do it the HARD way... Ill also be enjoying the looks of the sea of busa riders when i take a bike half the engine size and do what they have been doing... :dude:

Last edited:
Im basically banking on the fact that my bike will put down comparable HP to a busa that can break 200mph (200hp), but its lighter(almost 75lbs by the numbers shown above), and it is more aerodynamic and has less cross sectional area so less drag.

Fantastic... watching for sure.
Anything you can do to reduce Coefficient of friction (aero drag) is good, so anything snagging wind, body parts, mirrors, feet not tucked in will help as well.

Plan on lowering the suspension some?

Fantastic... watching for sure.
Anything you can do to reduce Coefficient of friction (aero drag) is good, so anything snagging wind, body parts, mirrors, feet not tucked in will help as well.

Plan on lowering the suspension some?

Yeah, mirrors and bar ends are gone already. Forgot to mention those.

I have a land speed front fender on order as well.

I was looking into lowering compression but talking with some engine builders who have/or have built high CR nitrous bikes and im going to take their advice and stay with my 13.5:1 CR and run VP race fuel. Already checked and Texas and Houston Mile have vendors with race fuel on hand and they recommend i special order it ahead of time so that i am sure to have the exact fuel i need during the event. So 13.5:1 CR, 636cc(with JE big bore forged pistons), carrillo rods, CNC port work, 80HP shot of nitrous, and VP 110 race fuel should make for a potent combo and i dont see any reason i shouldnt be able to safely make 200+ RWHP. If i can keep the front wheel down and keep traction i should be able to make 200mph as well....

Last edited:
The red one is good. I got the black one with big drawers and wood top and the bottom drawer track just broke yesterday... Time for warranty

EDIT: you can actually see the bottom drawer hanging open a bit in the pic. Thats the broken one... LOL

Ya I have the red one also,just combined three boxes into that one. I think I still need more room. Have a MAC side box but cannot find the keys for it. Hate to get rid of any tools that would be a sin. Will look forward to updates on the baby Kawa. 200 mph better hang on tight. :rider: Drew

Back