• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pueblo Air Museum

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Gill
Not a riding report, but part of a trip report. On our way to Colorado Spring, we noticed a sign for an air museum in Pueblo. I'd never heard of it, but looked it up on my phone, and they were having cockpit tours of their B-29. One U-turn and a few miles later, and we were there. It's a nice museum located at the Pueblo airport.

They have some planes I've never seen before, and their B-29 is impressive. Here's the nose art:
B-29NoseArtSm.jpg

According to the literature, Peachy was the pilot's sister, and she worked as a hostess at the base. I suspect she dressed a little differently.

Here's the Pilot's seat:
B-29Pilot2Sm.jpg

The Co-pilot's station:
B-29CopilotSm.jpg

The controls between their seats:
B-29Centerconsolesm.jpg

The Bombardier's station:
B-29BombardierSm.jpg

The Flight Engineer's station:
B-29FltEngineerSm.jpg

The nose:
B-29noseSm.jpg

In that hangar they had a lot of interpretive exhibits, and quite a few planes, some of which were under restoration, including an A-26.

Here's a Skyhawk, as if it were landing over you:
ScooterLandingSm.jpg

From the front:
ScooterFrontSm.jpg

A Cougar:
CougarSm.jpg

One of two Hueys:
Huey1Sm.jpg

A Bell 47 (anyone else hear the theme from M.A.S.H.?):
MASHSm.jpg

A Hawk missile:
HawkMissileSm.jpg

A nice half track:
HalfTrackSm.jpg

Hangar 2 had some very nicely restored machines. Here's a bunch of them, taken from the stairs that let you look down into an F-86D:
Hangar2Sm.jpg

They had the only Vigilante I've ever seen:
Vigilante1Sm.jpg

And again:
Vigilante2Sm.jpg

An F-100. Love that big intake:
F-100Sm.jpg

A Douglas Skyray:
NavyFighterSm.jpg

A T-37 Tweety Bird:
TweetyBirdSm.jpg

A big Sikorsky, the type used to pick up the astronauts from their splashdowns:
Sikorsky2Sm.jpg

A cute little Weasel:
WeaselSm.jpg

The cockpit of a Vertol helicopter (Flying Bannana):
FlyingBananaCockpitSm.jpg

There was also an F-104 and an F-11 Tiger, but the pics of those didn't turn out.

Here's a C-131 for Janet:
SemperParatusSm.jpg

Outdoors was a B-47:
B-47NoseSm.jpg

A C-119 shows that even pigeons like old planes:
EvenPigeonsLikePlanesSm.jpg

They also had a P2v-5 Neptune but the pick didn't turn out. There was this lovely old tractor out there:
TractorSm.jpg

Really a nice museum, and worth a stop if you're up in Colorado.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! Imagine setting in those seats, looking at your engines as they cough into life, the drone of the all those engines in harmony, the... well - just seems like really interesting to me.:clap:

Yeah, and wondering if those engines were going to catch fire. They had a real problem with that in the first couple of years.

Yeah, and wondering if those engines were going to catch fire. They had a real problem with that in the first couple of years.

Or just wondering if you were going to take a piece of flack up your ar.. Um... You know. ;-)

Wow, nice jet collection, Danny. Next time Jan & I pass through, I'll see if she'll let me stop. I'm headed to Midland Tuesday with a friend from church, to visit the CAF. Always love that place!

We will have to venture down that way sometime. If you are up in the Denver area there is an air museum in one of the old hangars at Lowry AFB which has been decommissioned and has been partially redeveloped, the last phase contract for redevelopment was let a couple of months ago.

Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum

They have some nice exhibits, BlueDog! I don't think we'll get to see them this trip. But I'm always up for a trip to Colorado.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! Imagine setting in those seats, looking at your engines as they cough into life, the drone of the all those engines in harmony, the... well - just seems like really interesting to me.:clap:

+1

There was this lovely old tractor out there:
TractorSm.jpg

That caught my eye. Dad had one quite similiar they used on his BAK-9 work.

A Federal CF-55 heavy tug purchased from the US Navy as surplus was modified with the winch assembly to assist in moving large concrete blocks used in launch testing
1190669759_kTsKE-L.jpg

A Hawk missile:
HawkMissileSm.jpg

I don't think that is a Hawk - it looks more like a AIM-4 Falcon that was carried on F-106 vintage aircraft. The missile most know as a Hawk (or iHawk) is a surface-to-air missile.

OK, I did some searching, this appears to be the same shot angle but found with a "falcon missile" search. I believe the "SkyHawk" is overhead, maybe causing some confusion.

5557238406_378d128b81.jpg

Here is the typical Hawk missile:

Iran_missile_3.jpg

Looks like a good place to stop, though!

Last edited:
I don't think that is a Hawk - it looks more like a AIM-4 Falcon that was carried on F-106 vintage aircraft. The missile most know as a Hawk (or iHawk) is a surface-to-air missile.

OK, I did some searching, this appears to be the same shot angle but found with a "falcon missile" search. I believe the "SkyHawk" is overhead, maybe causing some confusion.

5557238406_378d128b81.jpg

Here is the typical Hawk missile:

Iran_missile_3.jpg

Looks like a good place to stop, though!

I'll bet you're right, Chuck. I was going by what I thought I could read on the sign in the picture. But that wasn't really in focus and had a lot of glare on it.

On a side note, the hangars both had lots of natural light, but it came from windows around the top, and it made for lots of bad picture lighting.

Stumbled across this, reminding me of an old plane I'm usually flying on about now. Not so much this year.
Wish I could transport to the Pima museum right now. Maybe get lost in the desert later.
Bleep these times.

Wish I could transport to the Pima museum right now.
Although the museum itself is open, the Boneyard tours are cancelled until further notice. And for anyone interested in taking the tour once it re-opens, understand that you have to request tickets several weeks in advance and go through a background check. It's not like the old days of just walking up to the ticket window and buying a seat on the bus. It's a sign of the times we live in. :argh:

Thank you for posting - enjoyed the photos and short commentary very much!

Maybe you've seen this beautiful T-33 in Del Rio, photographed on a cool spring morning early this year.

Icons.JPG

When I was a kid growing up in San Antonio in the late 50s / early 60s, I think T33s were more common than Volkswagens.

tshelfer - no doubt!

Funny, I didn't notice the OP was from 2012!

I love the flight museums, and visited Pima last fall when riding through Tucson. But a new fascination is "gate guards" - meaning aircraft on display at AFB gates, as well as in city parks, etc. I haven't had conditions that were right for photographing them, but for example there's an F-111 in a park on the west side of Clovis, as well as an F-100 in Melrose a few miles farther west. Next time!

Mike

tshelfer - no doubt!

Funny, I didn't notice the OP was from 2012!

I love the flight museums, and visited Pima last fall when riding through Tucson. But a new fascination is "gate guards" - meaning aircraft on display at AFB gates, as well as in city parks, etc. I haven't had conditions that were right for photographing them, but for example there's an F-111 in a park on the west side of Clovis, as well as an F-100 in Melrose a few miles farther west. Next time!

Mike
Be careful when you photo the gate guards and don't accidentally include the actual gate due to security concerns. I made this mistake at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo of a B-25 up on a pole and they asked me to delete them. Saw the Clovis F-111 recently and reminded me of the Portales F-111.

I'm in the preliminary planning stages for a road trip up to the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH in September. I hear you need two days to go thru everything.

Goodfellow AFB B-25

Excellent photo and good to know! I've ridden through Angelo numerous times but never stopped to look at Goodfellow.

Regards,
Mike

Wow, nice pics. Been by there lots of times but always trying to get to the cool spots or get back to Texas and didn't stop.

Be careful when you photo the gate guards and don't accidentally include the actual gate due to security concerns. I made this mistake at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo of a B-25 up on a pole and they asked me to delete them. Saw the Clovis F-111 recently and reminded me of the Portales F-111.

I'm in the preliminary planning stages for a road trip up to the Air Force museum in Dayton, OH in September. I hear you need two days to go thru everything.

Goodfellow AFB B-25
View attachment 271111
Wright-Pat is pretty awesome. Had relatives who lived in Dayton and used to visit twice a year. Been to Wright-Pat at least 4 times. Highly recommended. You can do in one LONG day but two is better. Almost as good as the Smithsonian Air & Space in DC (esp. the Udvar-Hazy Annex at Dulles).

I know there was a B-17 at the front gate of Dyess AFB in Abilene when I was stationed there from 75-77.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well this was a fun thread to look at again with what all is going on in our little corner of historic aviation...

Back