• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pyro's 2013 Twisted Texas Hill Country Tour!

Pyrogenic

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Arnim
Well, here it is. 4th Annual Pyro's Twisted Texas Hill Country Tour!

Ride Dates: April 12th-15th

Pics from last year's ride: Click Here

The Three Sisters are several connected highways that combine 'twisties' and major elevation changes with West Texas rocky hill country: Our own lil' "Tail of the Rattlesnake", with sheer rocky drop-offs, narrow "mountain" passes, and beautiful have-to-stop vistas. Some parts are very challenging to riding and to the senses.

We'll be riding Friday from Houston, meeting up at Canyon Lake, and heading out West to the Twisted Sisters for a couple of loops on Saturday; staying in the local area that night (arrangements made, see below). Running a different reverse course back to Canyon Lake on Sunday, and back to Houston on Monday.

Pyro's Twisted Texas Tour: http://g.co/maps/kx4cz

This is NOT a race. We are out to have a good safe ride, see the sights, ride at your own pace how you like. There are usually many other bikers out there who may need to be passed, only if you want to do so and it's safe please. If riders get separated, we will re-group at intersections, rest-stops, scenic stops.

Those of us coming from Houston will leave Friday morning and stop through Lockhart for Texas' best B-B-Q at Black's BBQ

215 N. Main St. Lockhart, Texas
http://goo.gl/maps/Xco3h

then to the Willow City Loop, then down to Canyon Lake.

Dinner Friday evening 8pm at Startz Cafe - 10350 Startz Rd, Canyon Lake, TX
http://goo.gl/maps/raXgp

You can stay the night at my Lakehouse depending on your accommodations needs (some may be on cots or bedrolls) or you may choose to find a room at a motel nearby.
http://goo.gl/maps/vxuGp

Breakfast Saturday morning, 8:00 am at Bear Moon Bakery in Boerne, Tx (401 S Main St
Boerne, TX 78006)
http://g.co/maps/3bg4w

HOTEL INFORMATION FOR SATURDAY NIGHT, APRIL 14
Camp Wood, Tx (on the Three Sisters Loop)
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=...55653388520545

Hill Country Motel
200 N 4th St
Camp Wood, TX 78833
(830) 597-3278

Room rate is $41 split 2 per room when we need to double-up. One room can accommodate 3, and another building can accommodate 5 ($15/person).

Dinner at Two Fat Boys BBQ - Have to get there before they close at 8:30!!!!
518 E 4th St
Camp Wood
(830) 597-2333
http://www.twofatboysbbq.com/

Sunday morning Sisters Loop (the best ride at the best time of day ever) and then we'll stop by the mini-Stonehenge and then through Fredericksburg, and back to Canyon Lake.

Dinner on Sunday night at the Texas 46 Bar & Grill at 8:30 pm.
http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=...58383228844664

Back to Houston on Monday via Texas' most popular road, Hwy 149.

Contact me about a commemorative Tour T-Shirt

Attachments

• pyro2012_1.jpg
    pyro2012_1.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Are we allowed to jump in and following for awhile? I wouldn't mind meeting up in Boerne, and riding a long for a while, then break off and head back home.

Are you aware Stonehenge is no longer on located on FM1340?

In case you care, you have some dirt on your route.

CR 205 (Rocky Road) between 290 and Blanco. Dirt section between Flat Creek and Cottonwood

CO 371 by Lake Medina isn't dirt, but really crappy (nothing but filled chuck holes). Better off staying on 2615 to 271 to 1283

I could suggest other alternatives as well, if you want.

Thanks Guys! Yup joining up for any of the route is A-OK!

We did stop by the NEW location last year - great site.

I may need to modify the route CR205. I remember we did take the pot-holed road by mistake last year and I need to pick an alternate route. I'll modify per your suggestion youzguyz! Thanks for the reminder!

You going to join us??

BTW - all the reservations are taken care of.

In case you care, you have some dirt on your route.

CR 205 (Rocky Road) between 290 and Blanco. Dirt section between Flat Creek and Cottonwood

CO 371 by Lake Medina isn't dirt, but really crappy (nothing but filled chuck holes). Better off staying on 2615 to 271 to 1283

I could suggest other alternatives as well, if you want.

I think you are talking about CR 271 - the squirrelly road that runs on the south side of the lake - we took that and that was bad, but this route goes south instead to avoid it. Is that what you were talking about?

I changed the route to avoid CR 205 THANKS!

I think you are talking about CR 271 - the squirrelly road that runs on the south side of the lake - we took that and that was bad, but this route goes south instead to avoid it. Is that what you were talking about?

I changed the route to avoid CR 205 THANKS!

No.. I meant 371. In my opinion, it is worse than 271!!! Use street view to see the road surface.
The path I mentioned is marginally better as far as road conditions, and has better scenery.
If you want to avoid the entire mess, just stay on 471 to 1283.

Your change from 205 is workable. Lots of good back roads you could take instead if you like that kind of stuff. Happy to make suggestions.

Appreciate the invite to join in. Love to ride the hills!!

Ok - so now swing around closer to the airport and then West...?

For the 205 workaround - suggestions are welcomed - and we can adjust on the fly too - let me know - part of this experience is to find great roads! Thanks!

LOL - HAIL - remember that one year we hit a couple miles of gravel road work - and then the several miles of dirt-gravel roadwork! Man that was fun riding the pegs! Fun in a sick sort of stressful way... ;)

Ok - so now swing around closer to the airport and then West...?

For the 205 workaround - suggestions are welcomed - and we can adjust on the fly too - let me know - part of this experience is to find great roads! Thanks!

I checked the new map, and what you have there is what I meant.
I got confused on which direction you were going, oops. You are going from Boerne to Mico to Hondo, so 1283 to 471 to 2676 is correct and avoids all the cruddy roads.

I'll put together some maps with other options and get them to you. Most of the roads will be ones without lines, 1.5 lanes, cattle guards.. but paved.

LOL - HAIL - remember that one year we hit a couple miles of gravel road work - and then the several miles of dirt-gravel roadwork! Man that was fun riding the pegs! Fun in a sick sort of stressful way... ;)

Wish I was on the DRZ for that trip instead of the FZ1. lol

I may actually be on the DRZ if I don't have the VFR out of hock.

How big of a group is this? I'm interested, but I'd have to meet up Friday afternoon/evening and depart Sunday morning/early afternoon.

How big of a group is this? I'm interested, but I'd have to meet up Friday afternoon/evening and depart Sunday morning/early afternoon.

Seems to get bigger each year. Last year we had 12 - 14 at our largest. Mostly FZ1s but the bikes get more diverse each year also.

Seems to get bigger each year. Last year we had 12 - 14 at our largest. Mostly FZ1s but the bikes get more diverse each year also.

That's probably a bigger group than I want to deal with. Everybody ride together or do you split up into smaller groups?

It's quite casual, and can get spread out, especially in the twisties where a few take em faster. We all wait at turns for the group and there is NO pressure to stay as a pack the whole time.

It's not like a lot of group rides I've been on. I really don't like them either.

Definitely no pressure. I am the one they are usually waiting on at each turn. Would be nice to have some company.

I've read about previous years editions of this on the FZ boards, sounds like a good time. Put me somewhere between maybe and probably. Late Friday afternoon, early evening to late morning/ noonish Sunday. Is there still room available at the lake Friday night? Did you block rooms Saturday or do I need to make my own call?

All lodging is arranged. Will be great to have you join us!

Most rooms at Camp wood have two beds, one has 3, and some people will need to share a room. I have the whole motel reserved - I think 8 rooms?

Your first day seems pretty aggressive time wise. Houston to Lockhart to Willow City Loop and back to Canyon Lake.. all in one day.
BUt.. here is some alternate roads if interested that are fairly "on route", just not as fast:
http://goo.gl/maps/YhBBx

Be aware that Willow City Loop can be VERY congested if the wild flowers are blooming! Might not be too bad on a Friday though.

More interesting side roads for other days will be posted later.

I don't know if I will be able to join you Fri, Sat or Sun.. to far out for me to make any plans right now.

That map looks great. Thanks!

We could cut off from B to C if we need to; if the day gets too long.

Back