• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question About Adding A Non-Motorcycle Horn/Replacing The Stock Horn

Reaction score
I recently found a horn that I bought years ago that I had planned to put on my 2003 883 Custom. It's a Klaxon KW 11 disc styled horn that's from a French military vehicle. I have some numbers on the back. I don't know, if they would be helpful to answer this or not, but it's a 24 volt horn. What would I need to do, to make it work? Years ago, I bought a battery (BikeMaster TruGel MG3L-A) that was going to be used to power it, per someone's advice. It's no good, now, and I've seen that Lowbrow Customs carries a 12.8 volt, Antigravity battery, and it's a lot thinner.

Do I even need another battery to power this horn, and whether I do or not, do I need a converter of some sort. When I did a search for hooking this horn up, I came across someone in a boat forum advising someone to use a converter, like this, but that was a little different. It just seems like a lot to have to do. Also, even with hooking the horn to the battery, whether or not I need a converter, wouldn't I need to hook that battery to the charging system, like the main battery is? I don't know how to go about that, either.

What is the best way to do this? Is there more than one option? I want to do it right. I would need to be walked through it, since I know nothing about electrical stuff.

Back