• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question: Best way to download and use Mextrek GPS files with an iPhone 6?

Reaction score
I'm heading to the Mextrek region (mountains south of Monterrey) in March. I have an iphone, but no extra cash on hand for a Garmin or Tom-Tom.

I was wondering if any of you experts out there know the best way to download and follow GPS routes for the Mextrek region (e.g., Portrero Redondo, the Gold Standard, others from the Gibbens guide) on an iphone 6, given that I'll be offline in that region....

I have Motion X app and Maps.me. Haven't really played with them too much -- don't know much about GPS. I understand the iPhone has a satellite chip, and have read it's feasible to use that offline to navigate. Last time I went down I just used the paper maps, but I thought I might try entering the 21st century this time .... at least as a backup.

Details would be appreciated!

I know IPhone users that have Scenic, and I use OSMAND on Android. I believe they have a IPhone version as well. Biggest issue will be making sure you have the proper map packs loaded, I bet some of those MexTrek roads are a bit off the beaten path.

Thanks Gourdhead — look forward to seeing you on a TARA Ride soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you will need to make sure you have the base map for those areas downloaded.

then the .gpx track import will be pretty simple with which ever App you are using.

basically email it to yourself, log in with gmail on your phone, open that email, click the file and open with app ( select whatever app you wanna use)

Last edited:
Back