• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Question: KTM 200 xcw ok for “bigger dude”

Back in the late 90's, I rode my YZ125 all over the mountain passes in Colorado including some passes at 12K around Silverton and Lake City. I was about 180 pounds at the time and pretty new to riding. I won't lie, the bike was under powered and struggled up the steeper stuff at elevation. However, it also taught me to keep the RPM's up and ride it "on the pipes" but it made me a better rider. I sold the YZ and got a KTM 450 and it was a much better tool but I definitely had fun on the YZ125 too.

With that context, you could definitely be ok with the KTM 200 and especially under 8K feet, but it would certainly be easier if you had a bit more power with a 300.

Thanks for all the input guys, you’ve really helped me decide.
I passed on that 200. I’m going to get my project yz250 going, and just ride that this season. I’ll need to wait a bit to afford a 300.

The project yz250 already has a FMF gnarly pipe, FMF silencer, V force reeds, and some fancy head with two different cones so you can run pump gas or race gas. I’m going to throw a flywheel weight and some bark busters on it and see how i like the world of premix.
Maybe I’ll do a build thread as bringing it back to life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Yamaha sounds like a good bike to rebuild. Yamaha has always had great forks, and set up for offroad a YZ will do everything you want and while you are rebuilding a big bore kit to get you to the 300cc mark is easy as picking your favorite mfg of piston kit

LA Sleeve has a great 300cc kit for the Yamaha

Last edited:
That Yamaha sounds like a good bike to rebuild. Yamaha has always had great forks, and set up for offroad a YZ will do everything you want and while you are rebuilding a big bore kit to get you to the 300cc mark is easy as picking your favorite mfg of piston kit

LA Sleeve has a great 300cc kit for the Yamaha
Eric gorr and athena also have good kits too

Back