• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

R1150RT Headlight/Fog Light Guidance (Factory)

Duke

Reaction score
First Name
Duke
I have a new to me R1150RT that I am getting touring ready.

I have spent the better part of 2 nights trying the search function here and other forums as well as the all mighty Google, but am failing to find my answers.

First up: The fog light switch on the dash.

i-wfGK3k8-L.jpg

When the bike starts up the light inside the switch turns on and remains on irregardless of its position.

i-f6WBSbK-L.jpg

i-dmGrdht-L.jpg

My first question is, Is this normal? My instinct is that the switches light would "go out" when the switch is in the off position?

When the bike is running the "factory fog lights" do not illuminate irregardless of switch position.

i-K6djMGt-L.jpg

i-qzZNqT4-L.jpg

i-VtdNvm3-L.jpg

It is probable that both of the lights are burnt out, and before I tackle the light removal process I want to check the fuse. Yet for the life of me I can not find a fuse for these lights, any pointers?

This leads me to sourcing replacement bulbs. Are the H3 bulbs the "fog light" bulbs in this parts fiche?

i-rTKB3pG-L.png

i-8xvqM7P-L.png

Now is where I get confused a bit. According to the parts fiche there is only one headlight bulb H7, so is the high beam also an H3? For a total of 5 lights in the head light assembly?

1 parking lamp
1 H7
3 H3 (2 fogs & 1 high beam)

All of the other lights on the bike work, but for the fogs.

Hoping y'all can help me trouble shoot. Thanks.

Thanks Kurt. I swear I searched there.

Twisty@BMWST said:
Bill, 2 places to look (I think as I don’t have a manual handy here)..

Try fuse 10 (you say OK) as I believe that feeds the fog light relay.. Then the Fog Light relay itself (the is the very front R/H relay (throttle side first row)..

Use a test light on fuse 10,, don't relay on just looking at it..

Twisty

This is the fuse / relay diagram I am working from and it says that fuse #10 is a spare, and relay #9 is not in use. :headbang:

i-8GkFWnn-L.png

BMW is pretty good at over engineering things. I wonder if the switch is staying on to indicate a burned out bulb?

Kurt, thanks for the help today!

Lesson learned is make sure your reading from the correct instruction manual. I do not have an owners manual which would have helped I am sure, and my searches online just keep returning the service manuals, no luck finding an owners manual (any body got a link to one?).

Anyway. I am fixed.

i-P37GGFZ-L.jpg

For what ever reason, not known to me, there was not a fuse in the #10 spot, and with me using the above fuse / relay schematic I did not know that was the fog light fuse.

i-WNhjjc5-L.jpg

I really appreciate your help this has saved me the head ache of trying to change the bulbs unnecessarily.

Rusty. The switch light looks to stay "on" full time according to this diagram. As another said on BMWST it is so you can find the switch in the dark... At any rate, it appears to be normal / expected to stay on.

i-ZtzXV4p-L.png

the wiring diagram above shows switch light is on/off along with the fog lights. Could it be a previous owner added wiring from ignition circuit/running lights[or from relay that switch powers] to keep it lit all the time? Lighted switches usually only have 3 terminals of which one is used to power internal lamp. It APPEARSadditional non-factory wiring may have been added. my .02, YMMV, good luck!

Hey Wally. This was the response I got on BMWST from "DirtRider" who I think is some sort of a master BMW tech.

Your fog light SWITCH doesn't have a fuse as it is powered directly from the load relief relay. If the switch light is lit there is power to the switch. That switch light is lit all the time so you can find it in the dark. (sounds like this part of the fog light circuit is working OK)

Here is a link to a electrical schematic that Kurt found found for me.

Looking some more, the switch light could be wired to the other side of the relay that it is shown connected to. That would provide power to it as long as the 15 Amp fuse has power. Is the switch lit 24/7 or just when ignition is on? That answer tells you where it is powered from. Hope this helps.

Duke: Kurts link is same diagram you originally showed. You said they work now and the BMW master tech said the switch is lit all the time[ i assume that is when key is on] so all is well. Glad you got it sorted out.

Thanks Wally. Yes the light inside the switch is lit when the key is on. Sorry I was not more clear in my original post, showing the switch's behavior.

I still have you on my "gotta ride to" list, as I love your part of the world.

Thanks. I bet I have downloaded that file a dozen times from different sources all with different titles.

i-7GCP2QR-L.png

Its a very good service manual and it will help for sure.

Hopefully I can fine an Owners Manual to help with the everyday kind of stuff.

i-DLJ6dZ4-L.jpg

The owners manual offers very little of a detailed nature. Go for the maintenance manual every time. If you really want one, I'll make a copy of my owners manual. Have to admit, I'm one of those folks that saves every manual regardless of how worthless they are.

Kurt, thanks for the help today!

Lesson learned is make sure your reading from the correct instruction manual. I do not have an owners manual which would have helped I am sure, and my searches online just keep returning the service manuals, no luck finding an owners manual (any body got a link to one?).

Anyway. I am fixed.

i-P37GGFZ-L.jpg

For what ever reason, not known to me, there was not a fuse in the #10 spot, and with me using the above fuse / relay schematic I did not know that was the fog light fuse.

i-WNhjjc5-L.jpg

I really appreciate your help this has saved me the head ache of trying to change the bulbs unnecessarily.

Rusty. The switch light looks to stay "on" full time according to this diagram. As another said on BMWST it is so you can find the switch in the dark... At any rate, it appears to be normal / expected to stay on.

i-ZtzXV4p-L.png

The light marked "fog light indic" on the schematic is the light located just below the tach, I think. It appears to be switched on when the relay is activated.

I checked mine and yes, with the key on the switch is lit in either the on or off position.
I just leave mine on all the time.

Back