• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

R1200RT advice / battery starting issue.

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
Bought a 2012 BMW R1200RT from Dream Machines in Georgetown couple months ago. Only has 6K miles on it. Rode out to church last month and upon leaving it wouldn't start. Sounded like the battery. I go inside and google jumping a cycle battery (not recommended apparently) and before I call the wife to come get me, I go out and try again and it starts.
Ordered a Gel Battery from a place in Houston and replace what looks like the original battery.

Now today, I go out to ride it and it tries to start 1st time but nothing. Hit the start button again and nothing but a click. I am going to test battery tonight and put it on the charger.
Is this an alternator problem or starter problem? Maybe a loose wire? If I can get it started tomorrow, I plan to take it to Monkey Wrench and have Frank look at it. I could to take it to the BMW dealer off 820 but really wasn't impressed with their service with last BMW I had./

If you have a volt meter and can get it started, measure voltage at battery. Better yet, measure voltage key on engine off. Leave the volt meter on battery and start. Voltage should not drop below 9.5Vdc. While idling should see 14-14.5Vdc. No need to rev engine as this is an electromagnet alternator and not a stator. It is about due for a generator belt, every eight years. Feel free to give me a call. Sam and Kirk have my number.

Thanks. I will PM you my number. Never heard of a generator belt but my mechanical skills are about a 1.

Good luck! I have been having erratic start issues with my Moto Guzzi V7 III also. Took to my mechanic: he checked system and concluded it was slightly corroded starter switch, and cleaned it. I kept a log for a couple weeks and noticed a balky start correlation with time bike sat. Overnight charge: starts ok, sits a week, balky start. So, I just replaced the battery on Friday. Still a bit balky, so I used electronics cleaner spray on starter switch: good start this afternoon. So yeah, very frustrating... if I continue to have problems... one more try with mechanic?

Back