• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ram mount alternatives?

Aspear

Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
Anyone have experience with cheaper -$20 handlebar phone mounts? Looking for a temporary solution until I feel like buying a ram

I bought a cheep one on Amazon Ben working great for 3 years now I’ll send pictures when I get home and brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made one using an otter box belt clip and ram ball components. Worked out at about $25 and works great for me. However if you don’t have an otterbox on your phone it would be useless.

I made one using an otter box belt clip and ram ball components. Worked out at about $25 and works great for me. However if you don’t have an otterbox on your phone it would be useless.

Would you mind taking a photo when possible?

Sure. I will run out to the garage and take some pics for you shortly.

0434a5c8ae6a6a7a23fd3a0f3ff9c5d1.jpg
5d121628631f5ef9c0b826af36dbec78.jpg
060ff25f464d17ec4449ad2a663df9ba.jpg
2211695f0bb9e522a0e298660f78735b.jpg
7c567d7b418c1095ba28790026d60e7b.jpg

Not the best pics, sorry. I will take some screenshots of the components on amazon and post them for you too. I will also update this in a couple of mins showing the phone installed. Just have to swipe my wife’s phone, take a pic and text it to mine and then upload it...y’know haha.

c43542e5316cf0f4b9af66109e1ff69a.jpg
9a855992917547c639c685406ef7b594.jpg

With the phone mounted. It grips like a gorilla and behind the windshield of my RT gets next to no moisture. I have an iPhone 7 which is waterproof anyway.

1e2d99b53630b9cb1afc5ede21a12237.jpg
0b0c119cdea2be1ede332032f205f8e7.jpg
7c71b9106b7ba8f938d7115c551910cb.jpg
b761af1c968c6f764b5dd0cb66f5ebc1.jpg

I used the two hole ram ball to mount to the back of the belt clip, the four hole mount is attached to my gps shelf, a handlebar ram mount would also work depending on your bike.

I cut the belt swivel out of the belt clip, notched it slightly on the bottom to allow a power cable to be used.

It’s not pretty at all, however it works great and in retrospect I am happy with the design, I just should have been a little neater with the construction.

If you really get desperate for some more in depth pictures I can go out and dismount it and take more terrible pics if you like. However we are starting to hit the “you owe me beers” territory haha.

If you really get desperate for some more in depth pictures I can go out and dismount it and take more terrible pics if you like. However we are starting to hit the “you owe me beers” territory haha.

That's more than enough! Thank you!

My wife sent me this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ/?tag=twowhetex-20 this morning, which is what brought this about.

Mount will be going on the XRL, with the possibility of swapping between the r60/6 if it ever moves and the other beemer I'm trying to talk someone out of.

Doesn’t look bad, the little skinny tensioning screw on the back might need some loctite. I would also prefer that the mount be made of metal rather than plastic (I don’t know what it is made of...this is just what I would desire). That net on the back that locks the phone on is pretty much what ram does with their x grip.
I see no reason it wouldn’t work for you.
The main reason I went the way I did is the lack of handlebars on my RT. The little clip ons just have zero room to add stuff and I wanted it all up higher, the bike came with one of the crap mounts that attached between the handlebars, which made it where I couldn’t use my tank bag because I couldn’t see the gps. So I moved the gps and had an extra spot. I figured I would just pop my phone up there, which has been a good move. However, if I wanted to put a GoPro or something similar there I could do that too.

Quad Lock but it can be expensive.

I had been eyeballing those too. They look good, sadly they wouldn’t work with the bars and switch gear on my RT. And...again...the extra space on my shelf was calling. [emoji51]

Now...after perusing the quad lock stuff on amazon, there is no reason you couldn’t adapt on if the quad lock bases to work with a ram ball, much as I did with otterbox.

That also looks good. Did you come up with a secondary retention device or does it inspire enough confidence with its gripping ability? I think that looks like a really easy solution if it grips well enough.

This is waaay more secure than any of the previous ram or ram-style mounts I've tried.

This would be the adaptor, correct?
I used one with a threaded "stop" on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPJ2742/?tag=twowhetex-20

But this is the weak point - it still wants to spin around that a bit. I just need a bit of red threadlock in there. The option you posted might actually work better than mind...

This is waaay more secure than any of the previous ram or ram-style mounts I've tried.

I used one with a threaded "stop" on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPJ2742/?tag=twowhetex-20

But this is the weak point - it still wants to spin around that a bit. I just need a bit of red threadlock in there. The option you posted might actually work better than mind...

Yep. I think I would go with some red loctite on either of them. But it looks good. It also wouldn’t be phone case specific like mine.

Also, depending on your use model...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VQHT97Q/?tag=twowhetex-20

I'm building a "Ram Bar" for my garage fridge with two high-power magnets on the back and six 1" balls on the front to store not-in-use RAM mounts and the like. Using those and small bolts, a retired bathroom towel bar and a pair of cheapie HF magnets with threads- I just ordered the parts last night. Will post pictures when I build it.

The making of a RAM Ball Bar. Skip to 7:20 if you just want to see the finished thing.

Added to watched later, gonna have some downtime surveying pipeline tomorrow.

I ended up ordering the cheap mount I posted, plus usb socket and add a fuse.

Back