• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Random flat in the garage?

Reaction score
So Monday morning I checked the pressure in my tires on my bike (tubeless tires) and noticed the pressure was lower than what I would like, but still the same as what it was compared to the last time I had checked. (24 PSI) Tuesday, I go to take the bike to work and the front tire was completely flat. I'm guessing when I checked the pressure on Monday I messed up the valve stem somehow so it let all the air out. Wednesday morning I air the tire up and so far its holding steady.

The reason for the post is I'm wondering if I should be worried or if this was just some fluke event. Any advice is appreciated.

I've had a bicycle tire do that. Very weird but it's held air fine ever since.

Could be a leaky valve from something stuck in it.
Small piece of something was still in the tire when mounted, one time when when checking the pressure it partially was pushed into the core area, it let the tire leak down, then you filled it and it blew whatever it was back into the tire so it seals now?

You could unscrew the core and check the rubber part for nicks or tears also.

Every time I check or add air in my tires before I put the cap back on I put a little saliva on the the valve stem to make sure it is not leaking. I have found that sometimes (very few times) it will be leaking air.

Could be. You can try tightening the valve core or replacing it altogether. The Schraeder design is generic so you can just pull a core from another valve. Another thing to check is the age of the stem. Has it ever been replaced? From your sig, your bike is 10 years old. You have likely had the tires replaced a few times, but the valve stem is not always changed depending on who did the work. Spray some soapy solution (even windex works) around the base of the valve stem and wiggle it around to do a leak check. Even a metal valve stem has a seal, but they should last a long time but may leak if the retaining nut gets loose.

You don't happen to use balancing beads do you? Sometimes a bead gets stuck in the valve and it loses pressure. Adding air back in usually clears it.

Just asking since that mirrors the symptoms you described.

No. I'm not using balancing beads. So far the tire is down to 30 PSI from 32 PSI when I first aired it up. I seem to either have a slow leak or I am very bad at checking the pressure. It could go either way.

No. I'm not using balancing beads. So far the tire is down to 30 PSI from 32 PSI when I first aired it up. I seem to either have a slow leak or I am very bad at checking the pressure. It could go either way.
Grab the Windex bottle, start spraying, and find that leak!

Back