• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rear brake setup help

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
I'm an older guy with lots of miles on me, lol. Plus I'm tall and big footed. My problem is I can't use rear brake without lifting my foot off peg and putting it on the pedal. Gets extremely old especially on a 3 hour ride like yesterday. I've got a bad knee and wear a size SIXTEEN (16) boot. I use a tall seat, lower brake tip and have lowered the adjustment on the pedal some. For whatever reason it's way more problem on my 350 than my Honda 450. I realized yesterday that I'm riding with my foot kinda pointed down if I'm forward on the seat, so not sure there's a way to lower the pedal enough.

Anyone have some setup recommendations or hints?

Also can you run a left hand rear brake someway without the recluse clutch?

Thanks!!

Yes you can run a hand brake, I've seen it a few times on rekluse equipped bikes. You just need s longer brake hose to run from your clutch lever(now brake) to the rear caliper.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

80d06ff230e1b0ef399cce52c8351b3f.jpg

The location of the levers can be changed so the brake is under the clutch.

I feel your pain. I am about your size and I have to have my brake pedal level with my foot peg. Ktm has not done us tall guys any favors as of late. I have ridden many of the 17 and 18s and didn’t ever feel as comfortable as on my 15s. Way to tight between the seat and foot peg. If fastway makes footpegs for your 350 get a set and run them in the low boy position and adjust your brake pedal as low as you can while maintaining the free play. The free play is a must have. Otherwise your rear brake will act like a light switch. Off or on with no feel at the pedal and start over heating. I have not tried this fix on the later ktm models but this has been my go to set up since 2010 along with a Naihlo extended brake pedal tip and seat concepts seat. I also run the 690 bar mounts because they are taller than the xc/exc/sx. As you move forward on the seat your foot will be pointed at the ground unless your bike fits you and makes getting to the rear brake a hassle. My knees are shot and I can no longer ride on the balls of my feet when sitting. This can expose your feet to those hidden stumps and rocks.

All true. The Honda is not near as bad but much prefer the KTM.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yes I had a 16 350 and it wasn't as bad. Price you pay for ready to race i guess.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I guess you need to see if there is enough adjustment at the brake to be able to lower it to match the lower pegs. If you can’t get the pedal adjusted low enough the pegs will just make it worse. I’m sure being a tall guy you have used promoto\fastway foot pegs before.

Back