• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Recommendation for accommodations (tent camping) at Big Bend

Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Hello, I will be going to Big Bend next Saturday for the first time. So I will be trailering my Africa Twin out there and looking for any recommendations for mainly tent camping. Will stay the first night in either Alpine or Marathon and have reserved a camp spot at the Rio Grande Village for the following night. Have done quite some research already on-line but it would be great to get some feedback from someone who has already been there and would have any recommendations.

Thanks a lot,
Mario

I’ve tent camped in the Basin camp grounds. It is cooler up there than down by the river but this time of year you are probably okay.

Watch the forecast. The temps in the park can vary quite a bit through the day and where you go/are. It is the desert.
Have a great trip!

You can leave your truck/trailer at the Marathon Motel and RV park for free. And you can tent camp for like $15 there. Bathroom and showers are decent. If you want to be in the sticks....or dirt rather.....leave Marathon/the truck and make your way to Old Ore and camp at one of the sites off that off road portion. Not sure if the 385 Ranger booth will be open, might want to call them and/or reserve a camp spot on line if you do that. I think from there, the rest will present itself to you.

Thanks a lot everyone. Like the idea about the Marathon Motel and RV park.

Thanks a lot everyone. Like the idea about the Marathon Motel and RV park.
Last year there were some warnings out about remote camping in the park near the river as some had been robed by people on horse back who took the stuff back across the boarder. The camp grounds in the park were safe and nice.

RG Village should be really nice this time of year. The Basin is higher & generally cooler, but the Village is nicely shaded. Word of warning - we're getting around the time of year when schools take their fall breaks. If you're there when Sol Ross is on break, it's gonna be a tad crowded. There is a potential upside to that - I once sublet the back half of my campsite to a couple of college kids in a tent, who were very happy not to be shunted into the overflow campground.

Last year there were some warnings out about remote camping in the park near the river as some had been robed by people on horse back who took the stuff back across the boarder. The camp grounds in the park were safe and nice.

As Clint Eastwood said, "Dying ain't much of a living, boy." Those horses sure would be lonely on their way back across the border.​

I camped on the off shoot road from the River Road that lead to the Rio Grand. It was a great spot in a hill top. It was about 11 miles from the hard ball from the Rio Grand Village side. Had no idea about possible bandits, but my Ruger Redhawk is never far from me at campsites. 44mag is good for four and two legged problems.

I tent camped at Rancho Topanga Campground and enjoyed it and I would stay there again. All I need is some level ground for a tent and a shower with hot water. They had both.

I’ve camped at Rio Grand village before and won’t do it again. If you want the campground experience then stay in Terlingua or Study Butte and at least then you are close to everything that happens as the sun goes down. Rio Grand doesn’t give you the super remote, by yourself camping experience since you are in an RV park, but it is super far away from anything you might want to actually do.

Want to eat dinner in town, it’s an hour ride back to camp. Want to go see a star party, it’s a 2.5 hour ride back to camp.

Back