• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Recommended BMW Dealer for maintenance?

Lobby

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

It's been awhile. I hope y'all are ok.

I have a problem with my 2015 R1200R. I suspect the keyless immobilizer.

All the BMW motorcycles I've ever owned have been flawless mechanically. So I've never had to create a relationship with a dealer. And when I have needed some BMW mechanical help, Hank Arriziola is only an hour drive away.

Unfortunately, Hank is in Africa riding his BMW. And I'm stuck at home with a bike that won't start.

Can any of y'all recommend a BMW dealer in TX with a good reputation for maintenance? I bought it at Gulf Coast BMW in Houston.

Thanks,

Leo

Hey Leo, sorry for your trouble. Can't help with recommendations, all my experience with BMW dealers has been negative so I learned to turn my own wrenches on these beasts so won't go there. May be a bit arrogant but Jim Von Baden on ADV actually knows his stuff. He has helped me out on occasion.

Happy with cycle center Denton so far.
I also bought myself a gs911 $135 a hour gets crazy fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I could be wrong but isn’t Drunk Uncle a beemer mechanic close to Boerne? You might pm and ask

I could be wrong but isn’t Drunk Uncle a beemer mechanic close to Boerne? You might pm and ask

I think you are right about him being the one that is a mechanic there. There is definitely somebody on this forum that is a mechanic there.

And if you need a dealership, the Boerne one is what I suggest based on where you are.

Happy with cycle center Denton so far.
I also bought myself a gs911 $135 a hour gets crazy fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I have a GS-911. Forgot to mention that in my OP.

It wouldn't connect with the ECU. It told me the ignition wasn't turned on. Yet it was. Thus my thinking that the immobilizer is the culprit.

i-wQ7sgxz-L.png

I think you are right about him being the one that is a mechanic there. There is definitely somebody on this forum that is a mechanic there.

And if you need a dealership, the Boerne one is what I suggest based on where you are.

Rusty, do you have any experience with the dealership in Boerne? I've heard mixed reviews...

Nope, no experience. Heard a few positive comments, but only third hand. So far I haven't needed a dealer and their real BMW diagnostic machine since Lone Star closed down. I use CuznBob in Austin for any work I can't handle. He's like us though and has to rely on a GS-911 for connecting to the bike.

Eventually my K1600 needs to go in to a dealer for a firmware update, but it isn't a rush.

Leo,

Have you checked your rider's manual for the emergency starting procedure?

Also....the GS911 must be completely seated at the connector or you will get that message. I have done that several times.

Last edited:
May be a bit arrogant but Jim Von Baden on ADV actually knows his stuff. He has helped me out on occasion.

A "bit"...? :lol2:

I suspect he might be nice in person, but he does not come across well at times on the net. Even without seeking his advice, I got some unsolicited and it wasn't real friendly :roll: However, I do visit R1200GS.info and have his DVD. Unfortunately, I don't always have the time or tools to do what might need to be done.

I have used the BMW dealership in the Woodlands twice for service related stuff and was happy each time. One included doing the wheel hub warranty work for the final drive. They were quick, nothing was messed up afterward (as has happened with so many other dealers with other bikes I've owned), and they did not cost me an arm and a leg.

I have also had work done at Wild West in Katy. It is a haul, literally, for me to get there. However, they did a good job when replacing the final drive on my 05 1200 GS after the rear wheel hub failed catastrophically along with some other misc stuff while it was there. We had to do a bit of negotiating because it was an out of warranty repair but BMW North America was sending the new final drive. The recall notice for the rear hub failures came out a few months later...

I take my bikes to the Alamo Powersports in Boerne for all of my maintenance except for tire changes. I currently take my 17 R1200RT. A few years back, my f800st had an issue where the belt was starting to come off the rear wheel. The dealership there worked with BMW to get them to pay for all parts and some of the maintenance even though the bike was well out of warranty. They have always treated me well though being a dealership they are not the cheapest around.

:tab Here is the thing about being high priced. IF they do quality work and I can count on that, then I don't always mind paying a bit more. However, I very much mind paying a premium for crappy work.

Drunk_uncle chiming in here. I can't diagnose on the forum, but bring it to the shop. I am backed up until I get back from school in California. It may be a good time then as it is Advanced Diag BMW class. Feel free to call me so I can ask the right questions while there. 573.528.5212. I have been there since mid September and try to service every bike as if it was my own bike. I will be gone Sunday evening and be back at work on Thursday.

Have you tried the wallet key next to the antenna. On a GS it is the circular intention under the rear fender.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a GS-911. Forgot to mention that in my OP.

It wouldn't connect with the ECU. It told me the ignition wasn't turned on. Yet it was. Thus my thinking that the immobilizer is the culprit.

i-wQ7sgxz-L.png

Just a thought and grasping at straws, perhaps the model of the GS-911 will not communicate your K1200R? Here's a link to the GS-911 Models and the supported bikes >>GS911 Models<<. It looks like the first model GS-911WiFi with 10 pin connector supports the K1200R and the second model GS-911WiFi with OBDI II connector with does not work without an adapter. Also, a version for USB connection that also doesn't work with the K1200R unless there's an adapter.

There also may be a software update for the GS911? Seems like if that is the case, you may have to return it to Hexcode?

Back