• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Refurbishing Helmets Houston/ San Antonio

Reaction score
Does anyone know a place either in Houston or San Antonio that can refurbish/ restore motorcycle helmets? Is it expensive to do?

I can't imagine anyone would want to take on that liability.

Makes sense as the outer shells don't really degrade or weaken without an impact do they? Only the inner liners do that are glued to the shell. Helmets can be up to $1,000 and even more. However for above stated liability reasons I doubt if any manufacturer would ever sell their liners separately.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

If you are mostly wanting to refurb the inside, just a new comfort liner and pads can refresh a helmet.
I don't think I've seen any place sell replacement EPS liners but I haven't searched for it either.

I am with others, if wanting to refurb a helmet to use while riding, I doubt you will find many takers, just too big of a liability as well as lack of materials.

I can understand liking a particular helmet, but I would rather buy a new one than risk it.

If just doing it for decoration (or a helmet with good interior but poor exterior), most any auto/paint shop could shoot the exterior.

If you are mostly wanting to refurb the inside, just a new comfort liner and pads can refresh a helmet.
I don't think I've seen any place sell replacement EPS liners but I haven't searched for it either.
Yes I would just need someone to redo the inside.

That's real popular right now with the vintage helmets being so sought after. I've read many times where someone got their helmet padding and liner refurbished but didnt pay attention to who did it.
The refurbished helmet might come with a " for novelty use only " disclaimer.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

I’ve got my old Puddin Bowl from the 60’s no way would I wear it while riding, it’s just a decoration. I for the life of me can’t understand why some people (read hipsters) want old crummy helmets to ware on there street bike with knobby tires, brown seats and no back fenders, so they can look cool 😎!
Okay, I’m thick skinned, come after me. :pound:

I’ve got my old Puddin Bowl from the 60’s no way would I wear it while riding, it’s just a decoration. I for the life of me can’t understand why some people (read hipsters) want old crummy helmets to ware on there street bike with knobby tires, brown seats and no back fenders, so they can look cool 😎!
Okay, I’m thick skinned, come after me. :pound:
It's not just you.
I don't care for the "scrambler" look all that much either.
It kind of pains me when there is a clean, stock mid '70's 500-750 UJM that is butchered into one of these things.
Not as big a deal if it is a bike in bad condition anyway, but one's it good shape make me sad.

I don't think this is anything new. Ten years ago it was the beards and flannel shirts and work-boot-styled fashion shoes. Let's look like lumberjacks would look at Fashion Week in Milan. Now it's knobby tire motorcycles that look like an actual person had to make repairs to it on a limited time and income basis so it's missing fenders and other easily bent bits and has a seat made from before they invented closed cell foam. Helmet has to match. I look at it like this, it started when these young'uns were trying to look like authentic old tough people from their parents' generation. But now it has become a fashion trend. The motorcycle along with the gear-substitute stuff has become a fashion accessory used to craft an image.

And I'm not saying these folks don't ride or enjoy riding, or know how to work on a motorcycle or whatever. Some do all of this stuff. And it's not really any different from the old white dudes in their 60s wearing leather vests and skull cap helmets riding their Harleys around. Or the BMW GS rider dressed like an astronaut meeting up with other pavement riding retirees at some cafe in a hill country town with three digit population. Or a variety of other cultural expressions like this. For many, maybe most, owning a motorcycle is really a part of an aspirational lifestyle image. It's not unlike most things in life. You buy stuff because it fits the image of the person you want others to think you are. Sometimes that's also authentically who you are. Even those of us who like to claim we are all about utility are still in this camp. We just want others to think we are all about utility.

I admit it. I bought my Triumph Bonneville not because I really needed a new(er) motorcycle or because it was the most practical choice, but the main reason is that every time I got off of my GS500 and walked away from it in a parking lot, I felt like I should be putting on my HEB t-shirt to go bag groceries. I was a 45 year old professional, why should I be riding the motorcycle choice of the 19 year old noob? And I bought the Bonneville rather than some other bikes that might have been a better choice largely to avoid certain cultural stigma.

But frankly I still don't really support the idea of wearing a vintage(-look) helmet, simply because it's poor protection and performs poorly in terms of noise and wind. That's where I draw the line. But I do understand the appeal.

Even though I might make fun of everyone that isn't me, the reality is we're all just trying to navigate our way through this crazy world and feel good doing it.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Well mr72, you nailed it, it seems that I’m just a grumpy old man who thinks my way is the only way!
There are a few out there that are up scale hipsters, and I wouldn’t mind getting a hold of one of there R9T’s when they move along to something different.

Back