• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Registration Renewals

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Just wondering, how many have delayed their vehicle sticker renewals? I think all our vehicles are a few months out-of-date already but last time I was out, I looked around the parking lot and noticed many were current.

THE TEMPORARY WAIVER OF VEHICLE TITLE AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

I haven't. No reason not to, I have the means. An inspection that takes 10min (the drive to and fro takes longer), then going online to do register via the website. Total process done in an hour. Yeah yeah, a couple dollars more after fees. No skin of my back, it pays for the convenience.

Also, it doesn't look good for me, someone who works where I do, to not maintain my civic responsibilities. I also have supervisors whom I am accountable too.
COVID19 has not been an excuse for me to let up on my responsibilities. I've showed up to work and everywhere else I've been expected to, COVID or not.

COVID19 has hampered an interfered with my recreational life - going out camping, hiking, or to the beach. That has irritated me.

It took me a while to get my Ninja 1000 registered back a few months ago. When the tax assessors office finally reopened (May 24th?), they were nice enough to waive the late fees, per governor's order. I got it done as soon as I could. There was no reason to take advantage of the grace period any longer than necessary. You won't save any money on renewals, as they would set the effective date to the same as what it would be if you had renewed on time. Besides, you never know what might happen later that may keep you from being able to do it when you have to.

One less thing to worry about and have to remember.

I thought it was set to expire 9-15

and you had 60 days to get it done

any updates or changes?

please provide links...

I haven't. No reason not to, I have the means. An inspection that takes 10min (the drive to and fro takes longer), then going online to do register via the website. Total process done in an hour. Yeah yeah, a couple dollars more after fees. No skin of my back, it pays for the convenience.

Also, it doesn't look good for me, someone who works where I do, to not maintain my civic responsibilities. I also have supervisors whom I am accountable too.
COVID19 has not been an excuse for me to let up on my responsibilities. I've showed up to work and everywhere else I've been expected to, COVID or not.

COVID19 has hampered an interfered with my recreational life - going out camping, hiking, or to the beach. That has irritated me.

Online is so much better than standing in line. I won't be back at the tax office until I buy something.

Once the 60 day grace period goes into effect the inspection stations and tax offices will have lines, why subject yourself to that?

Can't get my truck to pass inspection but that's another problem. The govs thing is just buying me time but I'm not driving much anyways.

I renewed a vehicle and a trailer registration online last Monday and registered a new to me VStrom at the Tax office last Wednesday. Was kicking myself, prior to going in, for not having done all the renewals at the Tomball Tax OffIce, since it took them 33 days to see me. Boy was I glad I did it that way. To say that the process at the TB. Tax Office was messed up was an understatement. Even though I had a confirmed month long standing appointment, they could not find me on the list. Then I had to wait b/c even though I was there on time they were already letting 10 am people in at 9:30 am thus cutting ahead of other with confirmed appointments as well. Once inside there were only three people working.

All I can say is I was glad I made it out of there with a new sticker and tag for the VStrom. Sure would have really stunk if something was not right with the paper work. Covid is a really handy excuse for some governmental entities to do even less than they normally do.

I did my truck and trailer recently. Lack of lines was great. Less than 10 minutes from walking in to walking out.

I need to go do one truck, its been sitting since December except for a few afternoon trips around the neighborhood and the ZRX which I have not ridden since March but my Car, and main truck and the wifes SUV are all up to date

I took my car's registration to Tom Thumb back in August and it was fine. No wait and no hassle. It just took the time to go get it inspected and then to the store. I think Kroger also does vehicle registration.

I do my registration online. It was just a matter when I could find an inspection place open.

Just realized this was about registration renewal, not new registration.
For renewal, I just go to the local Kroger or do it online.

Got my new registration in the mail yesterday.
Really glad that I did not procrastinate.
Only able to do it online if it has not expired more than 2 months.
Great way to do it regardless of Covid or not.

Update: December 15, 2020​

The Temporary Waiver of Vehicle Title & Registration Requirements Ends April 14, 2021

If you’re overdue, it’s time to renew! The temporary waiver of certain vehicle title and registration requirements, announced by Governor Greg Abbott on March 16, 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, will end on April 14, 2021.

If you have not renewed your expired vehicle registration, you should make plans to renew by that date. It is not necessary to wait until the deadline to complete any overdue transactions as motorists have several renewal options.

Reactions: Dao
I got lucky when I went into Galveston County to get 2 of my motorcycles renewed. One was due in March and the other was due in May. When I renewed them in July, the tax office gave me July stickers for both and didn't charge me any extra.

Nothing abnormal with my renewals. Go to Car Spa at 8am. 10 minutes to inspect. Renewal on line, 5 minutes of my precious youth.
Keep your noses clean.

Buy at the dealer, let them stand in line :)

Unless they drop it off like they did for my Multi and the tax office loses all the paperwork. Bought the Multi back in April during the height of the stay at home orders. A lost MSO means the dealer had to get a replacement from Ducati.....in Italy. Just signed the new MSO last Saturday, so hopefully I'll get my plates here soon - 9 months now running on paper tags, the second set of which has now expired.

Got mine inspected, mailed renewal and 65 dollars in got tag within a week. They figure you have insurance if you got it inspected.
On bikes places I go for inspection check very little.

So the bike has been down for about 6 months and registration has been lapsed since June last year as I could not get it inspected. The question is do I get the inspection done and register it as is for the next couple months or is there a way to change the registration date to have a full year?

So the bike has been down for about 6 months and registration has been lapsed since June last year as I could not get it inspected. The question is do I get the inspection done and register it as is for the next couple months or is there a way to change the registration date to have a full year?
When they ask you if you have ridden the bike during that time, say "no". When I have said no, they did it for the year from that date. The one time I said yes, it was 1 year from the original sticker date.

Back