• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Reputable Vintage Engine Rebuilder

Reaction score
My kid and I are embarking down the road to building a show-worthy street tracker/fighter out of a 1979 Honda CB750K. We need a capable mechanic that can do a complete engine rebuild. It's gonna need a full overhaul including pistons, rings, bearings, etc. Top to bottom. Compression is less than 100 on 2 cylinders, didn't bother to check the other two.

Looking for someone within about 3 hours in any direction of DFW that can do said rebuild correctly.

Feedback appreciated.

I'll definitely follow along on this thread to see who you find. I in the DFW area and have an 71 CB750 K1. It doesn't need anything at the moment but you never know when a 48 year old bike is going to take a dump :eek2:

Good luck

I am aware you are looking for someone within 3 hours of DFW, and I know of No One I would recommend for your job. I do my own wrenching and have the skills to do a complete engine (and transmission) rebuild. But if I were to build a vintage street fighter I would send my engine to Cycle X, they are the experts. Here's a link to their website:
https://cyclesource.com/the-cycle-x-honda-cb750-motor-factory-is-open-for-business/ might cost a bit more, but in the long run you get what you pay for. Good luck. Post some pictures.

Later, Bud... 251030

Thanks, Bud. I'll keep them in mind if I can't find anyone more local.

I can wrench on most things and could probably do a straight forward rebuild of both the engine and transmission, too. I've built small block Ford and Chevy engines over the years, but given that we're trying to make this project show-worthy, I don't want to muck up a rebuild because of a lack of knowledge of that particular bike.

Once we get a firm plan in place and start the build, I’ll post some pics in a new thread. This is the seed for our project.

Once I get the frame mods done (exhaust mounts, tail shortened, wheel fitment, fork mod, etc) I’ll be pulling the engine out of the frame. I plan to have the frame powder coated while the engine is being worked on.

I’ll worry about tuning after I get the motor back in the frame and the bike wired.

Thanks, Bud. I'll keep them in mind if I can't find anyone more local.

I can wrench on most things and could probably do a straight forward rebuild of both the engine and transmission, too. I've built small block Ford and Chevy engines over the years, but given that we're trying to make this project show-worthy, I don't want to muck up a rebuild because of a lack of knowledge of that particular bike.

Once we get a firm plan in place and start the build, I’ll post some pics in a new thread. This is the seed for our project. View attachment 251039

If you can build a v8 you can rebuild that honda! find a factory service manual and a Haynes or clymer shop manual, and read read read, then have at it.

I'm sure there are some cb750 specific books dealing with engine building from other sources aswell since the bikes are becoming increasingly popular again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you can build a v8 you can rebuild that honda! find a factory service manual and a Haynes or clymer shop manual, and read read read, then have at it.

I'm sure there are some cb750 specific books dealing with engine building from other sources aswell since the bikes are becoming increasingly popular again.

Believe me, I've thought about it. A lot. My problem is physics. I lack adequate space and time. And since it has been awhile since I've done any significant deep engine work, probably a few tools, too. That said, I've got $1500 budgeted for a rebuild. If it's going to cost me $2500, I'll save the money and have a go at it. I'd rather put the difference into other parts of the bike.

Believe me, I've thought about it. A lot. My problem is physics. I lack adequate space and time. And since it has been awhile since I've done any significant deep engine work, probably a few tools, too. That said, I've got $1500 budgeted for a rebuild. If it's going to cost me $2500, I'll save the money and have a go at it. I'd rather put the difference into other parts of the bike.
I fully understand, I just hate paying for what I can do myself

Many of us take the extra steps a shop mechanic would not do on things, when we do it ourselves. Pride of ownership I guess and wanting it to be perfect.

I agree with respect to a dealer or your basic mechanic shop.

Looking for a good, reputable builder who knows these bikes and will take those extra steps you’re speaking of. I would have to follow a shop manual, so my attempted build would be no different than a standard mechanic who would likely do the same.

Sure, I could research this and figure those things out, but again - my biggest issue right now is a lack of time and space. A blown budget may force me to solve my physics issue though.

Before starting the rebuild, a leak down test would be very helpful to determine is cylinders or head need work. 69-78 would be a lot easier, but DOHC is doable. If Kay’s Motorcycle Mania in Nolanville was still open I would recommended them. They had a great Tech when I was at Hood.

FWIW I see it's a DOHC. The SOHC 750s are more collectable and might recover the costs when you sell it.

I suspect that is not important to you.

Good luck with the rebuild and post pics for us.

I am aware you are looking for someone within 3 hours of DFW, and I know of No One I would recommend for your job. I do my own wrenching and have the skills to do a complete engine (and transmission) rebuild. But if I were to build a vintage street fighter I would send my engine to Cycle X, they are the experts. Here's a link to their website:
https://cyclesource.com/the-cycle-x-honda-cb750-motor-factory-is-open-for-business/ might cost a bit more, but in the long run you get what you pay for. Good luck. Post some pictures.

Later, Bud...View attachment 251030
Nice Nice Honda you got there love the wheels

Back